Sign in with
Your question

Reliable and Long lasting gaming build

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2012 5:38:00 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 2 months

Budget Range: 1200$ (give or take 100-200$)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Game Development, Software development, Multimedia, Browsing

Parts Not Required: Speakers, Mouse, Keyboard,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None, but prices similar to those on newegg as a local dealer sells parts at those prices.

Parts Preferences: Anything, as long as they are reliable and last long enough. Although, I was advised to buy an AMD/ATI rather than NVIDIA as the latter wont last longer than 2 to 3 years.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but not in the near future.

Monitor Resolution: Not sure, but, should be a 24 inch one

Additional Comments:
-Should be quiet and energy efficient.
-Should last for atleast 10 years.(While frequency and cost of repairs in future are kept at minimum)
-I wont consider myself a hardcore gamer, so gaming at any resolution is good for me. But, if there are great games out there, like BF3, Skyrim etc., then I'd be willing to play them at high resolution on my 40" bravia LED (I definitely want to play GTA 5 at the highest resolution possible on this tv)
-**Future proofing is a stringent requirement. It need not play future games at high resolution but it should decently play(without much lag) games coming out in the next 7 to 10 years.(I'll be adding the 2nd graphics card in the next 2 years)

July 1, 2012 5:50:41 PM

You are going to have a very hard time getting a computer that can play all games for the next 7-10 years. New technology is coming out all the time, and it is likely we will have way more advanced technology in 10 years. Think about 10 years ago. A "gaming" computer from back then is now the equivalent of a cheap smartphone.

With upgrades you could probably keep it going for a while though. I would recommend overclocking in the future, to keep your CPU as fast as possible.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bbrS

This is a decent gaming computer, you could play all the games you listed on the highest settings and at 1920 x 1080. GTA V will be no problem either, as it is designed for the Xbox and PS3, and therefore its graphics are heavily limited. The next 10 years, however, I cannot predict.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 5:53:07 PM

Hard to say since prices are different for both countries (US and India) have different pricing on parts, obviously.

AMD vs Nvidia both have great cards. Lower end, (Price) AMD is definitely better IMO. When you get to $350+ then Nvidia starts to take over.

Check out my $1000 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
I would either keep the 7870 or swap for a GTX 670. This build would last you a long time.

Also I would have to say, 7-10 years is a crazy long time to have a current system future proof. But if you're upgrading along the way, this system will be fine. With that said, since you'll be adding a GPU go with the 670. It should be more common than the 7870 in the future given so many people like Nvidia so a used one will be easier to fine. I'm not sure that current gen cards would still even be in production two years down the line. Hard to say.
m
l
Related resources
July 2, 2012 7:23:30 AM

Yes, 7-10 years is a long time.
But it's not my priority. The number of years can be reduced, but future proofing should be as maximum as possible. I'd be willing to play future games at the low resolutions.
Just to give you an idea of it, I have a dell latitude d830 which I bought in 2007 for WOW. In 2011 I played NBA 2k11 on it at 640x480 resolution.
My priority is the reliability & efficiency of the system. It should last for the next 10 years(with minimum repairs)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2012 8:52:31 AM

OK well check out my $1000 above, should actually last you that long on a lower resolution.
m
l
!