Sign in with
Your question

Apu fan speed control problem

Last response: in Components
November 8, 2012 6:11:56 PM

Hi guys,

well I've got an amd a8 5800k oc @ 4.3ghz with an asus f2a55-m mobo and I have a corsair H60 for cooling the a8 but I seem to have a problem with the fan running 100% all the time
im trying to use asus fan Xpert to control the speed/temp ratio but it has no effect what so ever I should say as well im running windows 8 as the os. Have you guys any idea what I could do to control the speed as the noise is unbearable.
any help is greatly appreciated
November 8, 2012 6:42:58 PM

Well you could buy a fan controller and attach the fan to it or just install the fan on to the motherboard and use speedfan to alter the RPM of the fan.
November 8, 2012 6:49:32 PM

Well I have the fan connected to the CPU connector on the mobo the pump for the h60 is connected from a permanent supply from the psu I've tried altering the speed in the bios and using the asus mobo software called fan Xpert I have also seperately tried speedfan too I can't understand why it can't adjust the voltage to the fan and cut down the speed and noise of the fan
Related resources
November 8, 2012 6:57:01 PM

Have you considered the fan controller, it is much easier to use than a program for altering fan speeds. All you need to do is turn the controller knob to high or low to increase/decrease speeds and that causes the noise level to go down.

Here is a controller for 1 fan:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also what do you mean the H60 is connected to a permanent power supply?

November 8, 2012 7:04:46 PM

The corsair H60 is a closed loop cooler there's a pump from the heatsink to a radiator thats got a permanent supply once power is on and then the fan from the radiator is connected to the CPU connection on the mobo.
The only reason I'm reluctant to use a manual fan speed controller is I will have to monitor the temperatures myself then.
The thing is I've seen asus fan Xpert work before but it was on windows 7 so I'm wondering is the os causing a problem
November 8, 2012 7:10:31 PM

Well there is not really a heatsink for a closed loop water cooler there is a radiator in its place. Anyways temperatures monitoring and fan controllers don't have any connection, the CPU will have its temperature reading regardless of a fan connected to the motherboard or not.

Here is a guide to using speedfan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VjdQStihsE&feature=rela...
November 8, 2012 7:15:18 PM

Sorry the waterblock . Im reluctant to use the fan controller cause everytime the temperature rises ill have to be watching to move the fan speed up I know the tempetures will still be monitored but ill have to look at the readings
November 8, 2012 7:18:04 PM

Well that makes sense it would be a nuisance to turn the knob every time when you start to do some gaming :lol: 

You should consider the speedfan program and watching the tutorial to change fan speed.
!