Need some advice for Diablo 3 settings.

Hey community,

So this might be a long complex story, but here it goes.

So my friend gave me a Dell Dimension 1100 for free (don't worry, I'm not going to use it). My idea was to set it up next to the computer I had set up at my house separately, so me and my cousin could play LoL together. Long story short, I was replacing a fan in the non-Dimension there, and I apparently shorted the motherboard. Luckily I had a P8H61-M 1155 board sitting at home, so I went out to Fry's and bought a Celeron G530 (bang for the buck right there).

I had the new 1155 set up, and it was installing stuff, like drivers and what not. I thought, since the supposedly fried motherboard was sitting right there, that I would give it one last hurrah, and tried to set it up into an older HP enclosure the board originally came from, and low and behold, its not fried.

I figured while the other computer was installing and updating stuff, I would build a rig around this with the spare parts I had lying around. It came out to this.

Basically what I was trying to get at is that I was able to make 2 full computers out of this.

Spare 2
-Celeron G530
-P8H61-M
-MSI GTS250 512MB
-WD Caviar 320GB
-Patriot 4GB DDR3
-CDynex 520W
-WinVista 32-bit
-CM Elite 343

The Frankenrig
-Athlon 64 X2 4600+
-A8M2N-LA
-BFG 8600GT
-IDE Seagate 80GB
-Wintec AMP-X 4GB DDR2
-APower 680W PSU
-Windows XP Pro 32-bit
-Stock HP enclosuer

Finally getting to the question at hand, I'm wondering if the Frankenrig will have a chance at playing Diablo 3? Me and my cousin are planning to possibly play together (the computers are in the same room). I have a 8800GTX lying around that was originally paired with that motherboard with the 4600+, but it kinda bottlenecked, so I put an 8600GT in there. Any suggestions? I'm trying to put close to no money into this thing (hence the very bad PSU). As a note, the power supply in the first one is being changed to a CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 500W (I already have it, and I know its not that great, but its not powering much)

The second question I have is that the Frankenrig keeps trying to boot into XP (here's where the Dimension comes in, its the IDE hard drive from the Dell) and I keep getting a BSOD. Its probably in need of a re-install, since the Dell was password protected anyway.

These computers would be tasked with playing lower end games, like Civ4, LoL, Diablo 3 (not that low end, but), and a lot of valve games, like L4D and some other source engine games. The Frankenrig would be playing at 1280x1024.

Thanks for the help guys.
-Gunner

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Should run OK at that res, but I'd wait for a demo or something before you buy it. I'm sure source games (l4d, css, tf2) would run fine.

Although if the 8800gtx+ is not being used why not pop it in there anyway? Sure it might be bottlenecked but it's not like performance will be worse...