Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD FX 8350 heat issue. needs help.

Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2012 6:45:12 PM

Hello! its my first time at toms hardware and i am also pretty new to building a machine.

I picked up AMD Fx 8150 / Gigabyte 990 fx / 8g ddr3 1600 / msi 7850 in last week.

After building it, the zalman cnp s5x 92mm could barely hold idle temp at mid 40s with boost turned off, not OCed.
So I returned zalman and got Antec 620 liquid cooling, but it's basically doing same hold idle temps at high 30s but goes up to 60 easy when load. After trying another 212 cooler to see the temps too high, I decided to return the cpu.

So I've got now 8350 with same set up but this time with Corsair H80.
At bios, the temp was going insane. it started at 29 then five seconds later it jumped up to 70. I reseated the cooler again yet same results. It is just not cooling at all.

I put the stock cooler in now. the temps are now going from 38 to 55 jumping up and down crazy as stock fan is going crazy.

Could this tell me H80 was a defect?
I previously had phenom II x3 and x4 with 212 cooler. It was holding temps at 45 when load nicely.

Do these fx 8 core cpu have higher temps generally? it seems its too hot! =(
I am going to pick up a new cooler, can you guys recommend me one?
and any tips over this heat issue will be nice.

Thanks!

More about : amd 8350 heat issue

a b à CPUs
November 8, 2012 7:02:06 PM

There fine temps, when I had a 965 BE I would see temps as high as 55-58 as for most 125w TDP processors they do run hot, and your temps are pretty high but ok. The safe temps that AMD has posted says that 62C is the safe anything past that isnt good. How much thermal paste are you using for the air cooled coolers. Using to much isnt good and will cause temps to be high.
Score

Best solution

a c 109 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 7:02:12 PM

From the information you have posted, I am saying that the H80 was most likely defective. If the temperatures kept on rising, the pump was most likely broken.

If the stock cooler is keeping your temperatures within those ranges, you're 100% fine. Given the nature of the FX-8XXX chips, those stock AMD coolers wouldn't suffice for anything more than stock speeds :lol: 

I would personally pick up the Noctua NH-D14; it's my personal favorite (performance and looks) and it's arguably THE best air-cooler on the market. It cools just as well (or better) than the H100.
Related resources
November 8, 2012 7:27:21 PM

abCasPeRR said:
There fine temps, when I had a 965 BE I would see temps as high as 55-58 as for most 125w TDP processors they do run hot, and your temps are pretty high but ok. The safe temps that AMD has posted says that 62C is the safe anything past that isnt good. How much thermal paste are you using for the air cooled coolers. Using to much isnt good and will cause temps to be high.

Thanks for the answer. I honestly did not use any thermal paste this time since the fans already came with the paste applied already ;)  i know its better to use the top of the line quality thermal pastes, but eh? maybe not.

the problem is the high 50s were reached while using 1 internet browser and nothing else.
I am scared to load a game now. :sweat: 
Score
November 8, 2012 7:30:41 PM

mocchan said:
From the information you have posted, I am saying that the H80 was most likely defective. If the temperatures kept on rising, the pump was most likely broken.

If the stock cooler is keeping your temperatures within those ranges, you're 100% fine. Given the nature of the FX-8XXX chips, those stock AMD coolers wouldn't suffice for anything more than stock speeds :lol: 

I would personally pick up the Noctua NH-D14; it's my personal favorite (performance and looks) and it's arguably THE best air-cooler on the market. It cools just as well (or better) than the H100.

Thank you! I am going to fry's tonight to see if they have noctua. Do you think after dropping Noctua into the case, will i see alot of diff. in temp?

I am expecting honestly idle at 30, and maybe 3d games at low 50s the most....
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 7:31:46 PM

Instead of a game, run Prime95 SmallFFT's and see what kind of temperatures you get.

Just as a basis, temperatures will fluctuate a lot with web browsers as it's really more of a CPU-bound task :lol:  My old Phenom II X4 955 would fluctuate between 30-36C during casual web browsing. My current i7 will fluctuate from 25-42C without a second though LOL!
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 7:33:43 PM

projectuss13 said:
Thank you! I am going to fry's tonight to see if they have noctua. Do you think after dropping Noctua into the case, will i see alot of diff. in temp?

I am expecting honestly idle at 30, and maybe 3d games at low 50s the most....

What are your ambient temperatures? It depends on this 100% :) 

Just as an example, however, you should be seeing temperatures 10-15C above ambient. But to be honest, there's no knowing since all CPU's are a little different. But there will be NO DOUBT that you'll see temperatures significantly better. Just be sure to take your time and install the CPU cooler properly and securely :lol:  The included thermal compound that comes with the NH-D14 is actually of very premium quality; very nice of Noctua to do that.

**EDIT**

On a side note, my local Fry's does not carry any Noctua products. They don't even have any listed on their online store :(  Hopefully you have better luck...

If you can't find any at Fry's, you may have better luck at Micro Center. Other than that, Amazon/Newegg are your best friends :lol: 
Score
November 8, 2012 7:55:51 PM

mocchan said:
What are your ambient temperatures? It depends on this 100% :) 

Just as an example, however, you should be seeing temperatures 10-15C above ambient. But to be honest, there's no knowing since all CPU's are a little different. But there will be NO DOUBT that you'll see temperatures significantly better. Just be sure to take your time and install the CPU cooler properly and securely :lol:  The included thermal compound that comes with the NH-D14 is actually of very premium quality; very nice of Noctua to do that.

**EDIT**

On a side note, my local Fry's does not carry any Noctua products. They don't even have any listed on their online store :(  Hopefully you have better luck...

If you can't find any at Fry's, you may have better luck at Micro Center. Other than that, Amazon/Newegg are your best friends :lol: 

You are right... fry's & microcenter dont even have that listed on their website :( 
I found it on newegg and since I can't will-call it because I get off work late and I want my comp running asap.

I will probably just go fry's and find decently good cooler. any recommends? Thanks
Score
November 8, 2012 8:21:16 PM

mocchan said:
See if they have this cooler - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's on-par with the NH-D14 :) 

I can't seem to find that on Fry's and Microcenter... :fou:  dang it.

Oh btw, I am not planning to OC it and room temps at like 20'c ~ 30'c. I live in Cali. so its not too hot or too cold.

hmmm maybe 212 or H100? I bought H80 for 109 at microcenter last night I think and fry's have H100 for 109.99 :sarcastic: 

Score
a c 109 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 8:24:46 PM

H100 compatibility will depend on which case you have :) 

Generally speaking, though, those all-in-one liquid CPU coolers aren't on my favorites list due to their price/performance.

I would recommend the Hyper 212 in your case since you won't OC. It'll keep your chip plenty cool :) 
Score
November 8, 2012 11:02:56 PM

Best answer selected by projectuss13.
Score
!