Intel complete road map, historical through planned

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
One thing that is bugging me is I am looking to upgrade from my Q6600/ Socket 775 to a Socket 2011 or Dual Socket 2011 system (80mpix photo editing, 1080p editing, SQL Server, etc. (I am not checking email with it)

But I see no nicely laid out charts or road maps that show intel's progression in processors, there are the year to year road maps, but I want a 20x30 poster/jpg, etc something that shows the 8086 through what they are forcasted to have in Q4 of next year (or how ever far out that we have and idea.

I also want to see bench marks where my Q6600 could be measured against 4-6 other processors up to a single and dual 2011 CPU to get a "somewhat educated" idea what type of performance I am going to get making that jump.

I mean I know in my case it will be night and day different, but in measureable numbers where can I go to visually see that in a graph, chart, etc.

First we haven't released a roadmap outside of based micro-architecture following the Tick Tock model of our manufacturing process through next year.

Historically we have tried to follow a 1 year pattern for desktops (both boards and processors) and a 2 year pattern for servers. This means that server product have a longer life cycle and the socket 2011 boards and processors (Including the Intel® Core™ i7-3820, Intel Core i7-3930K, and the Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition) should be around for a while longer.

This is about the best plan that I have seen on our micro-architecture and it only goes back to the beginning of the Intel® Pentium® 4 processors (Netburst® micro-architecture). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IntelProcessorRoadmap-3.svg

The change from the Intel Core 2 Quad to the 1st generation Intel Core i7 processors would yeild a performance boost of about 15% to 20% at the same speed based on the application. The move from the 1st generation Intel Core processors to the 2nd generation Intel Core processor yeilded an additional performance boost of 10% to 15%. Now with the change from the 2nd generation Intel Core processors to the 3rd generation Intel Core processor yeilded about a 6% boost (without using the IGP). All of these boosts are based on the processors running at the same clock speed. So if you could pick up a 3rd generation Intel Core i7 processor that was running at 2.4GHz it would run about 30%+ over your older Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Here are some good benchmarks between the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and the Intel Core i7-3930K. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=552