Sign in with
Your question

90s Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2012 7:10:33 PM

Greetings!

I'm going through dad's old computer parts and want to rebuild a 90's gaming machine. There's a lot of crap in store, so I tried to do as much research as I could on the parts, but I'm still not entirely sure. So I'm going to list the specs, and I need some opinions! If you're familiar with late 90s gaming, hopefully you can judge whether or not this would have been considered high end at the time. Alright...

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 450 (450 MHz)
Memory: 128 MB
Hard Drive: 20 GB
Video card: ATI Rage 128 Magnum (32 MB VRAM)
Monitor: 1024x768 LCD
Sound card: Sound Blaster Live! Value 5.1
Motherboard: Some generic Intel board.
Case: Some old beige case.

There it is! I'm looking to play old games like Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, etc. Should I expect to get decent framerates on the highest settings with these specs?

More about : 90s gaming

a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 7:20:07 PM

You are better off building a new system. That will still not play those old games well.
m
l
July 1, 2012 7:22:43 PM

azeem40 said:
You are better off building a new system. That will still not play those old games well.

The whole idea why I am doing this is for the nostalgic feeling and the entire look and feel. I do have a new system, but I think it would interesting to have my new computer alongside with the 90s machine. Besides, some older games aren't compatible out of the box with Windows 7. The main thing is that I am doing this for fun, not because I don't have a good enough computer lol. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 7:25:04 PM

Just my opinion.
m
l
July 1, 2012 7:28:49 PM

azeem40 said:
Just my opinion.

While I do appreciate your input, I'm not necessarily looking for opinions at the moment. You said this won't run games from the late 90s well. What parts should I upgrade, then? Any idea? Thanx again!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 7:38:39 PM

Oh, I didn't know those games were from that time. Then, they will be just fine!
m
l
July 1, 2012 7:40:48 PM

azeem40 said:
Oh, I didn't know those games were from that time. Then, they will be just fine!

Oh haha lol. That would be pretty awesome if these specs could somehow get by playing today's games lol!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 7:44:00 PM

If only lol.
m
l
July 1, 2012 8:06:24 PM

Looks good to me. Assuming you have a floppy and a CD drive to go along with it. Got to have a floppy drive and turn on seek at boot up for that nostalgic feeling. I had a very similar machine back in 1999 and it played Quake 3 just fine.
m
l
July 1, 2012 8:10:25 PM

JamesSneed said:
Looks good to me. Assuming you have a floppy and a CD drive to go along with it. Got to have a floppy drive and turn on seek at boot up for that nostalgic feeling. I had a very similar machine back in 1999 and it played Quake 3 just fine.

Great! Sounds like I should give this a try then. I have both a CD writer and a DVD ROM. I still need a floppy. They seem cheap on eBay. Lol! Just looking at the price tags on these things is laughable! This DVD ROM was marked $299.00 in 1999 and now I can buy one that writes DVDs for just 20 bucks lol.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 8:14:11 PM

I would get my hands on a Geforce2 if you can. It was a more powerful card and quake 3 will like it more.

If you can get a slightly faster cpu as well it would not hurt.

You are on the right track for sire, just a bit more memory maybe?

I would go as far as. Maybe overkill

XP 1800+
Geforce 4ti 4200
256-512mb ram
20 gig hard drive is fine.
SB Live! for sure
Old Compaq keyboard :) 
Compaq mouse :) 
Come on break out the old CRT.
m
l
July 1, 2012 8:28:51 PM

nukemaster said:
I would get my hands on a Geforce2 if you can. It was a more powerful card and quake 3 will like it more.

If you can get a slightly faster cpu as well it would not hurt.

You are on the right track for sire, just a bit more memory maybe?

I would go as far as. Maybe overkill

XP 1800+
Geforce 4ti 4200
256-512mb ram
20 gig hard drive is fine.
SB Live! for sure
Old Compaq keyboard :) 
Compaq mouse :) 
Come on break out the old CRT.

Thanx Nukemaster! It sucks that it's so hard to find these old graphics cards! I will be watching out for the Geforce 2 :)  Is there an old computer parts store you can point me to? Not having much luck with eBay.

Looking up the CPU, I found that the one I have was retailed for about 500 dollars lol. Was that a lot for back then like it is now? It was also one of the slower of the Katmai architecture. More RAM shouldn't be a problem... just gotta look around the house lol. I still need to get an old mouse and keyboard. Currently using both USB, that just doesn't seem right lol.

CRT Monitor? Okay, maybe that's too nostalgic for me lol. I hate those things. Spent too many years with one while begging for a new LCD. I think I will use this old LCD. It's beige :) 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2012 8:36:38 PM

CRTs have better response times and color reproduction, and zero lag.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2012 1:22:30 AM

I just did a search for "geforce 2 ti" on ebay and found some cards. I have not ordered from ebay so I have no other commends for it.

a Geforce 4 ti 4200 may be even better. Just do not get the geforce 4 MX(its quite cut down, not even worthy of the 4 in its name).

I would check yard sales, you may just find most of your 90's gaming pc in one place :) 

@azeem40

As for the CRT. I was the opposite end, I stuck with CRT until it was dead dead dead. The ghosting/bad color/poor viewing angles on LCD was very noticeable to me. Either way I did have to switch when It was no longer worth getting the other one fixed. Even at that it was a hell of a search to get decent colors/black levels(and not having dark colors all become one color).

An old review link for you. More early 2000, but still
http://www.anandtech.com/show/831/2
m
l
July 2, 2012 2:03:38 AM

maybe use an external hard drive for some extra storage? and my mothers old late 90s pc could handle 1gb of ram, you might could boost up to that.
m
l
July 2, 2012 2:27:06 AM

nukemaster said:
I just did a search for "geforce 2 ti" on ebay and found some cards. I have not ordered from ebay so I have no other commends for it.

a Geforce 4 ti 4200 may be even better. Just do not get the geforce 4 MX(its quite cut down, not even worthy of the 4 in its name).

I would check yard sales, you may just find most of your 90's gaming pc in one place :) 

@azeem40

As for the CRT. I was the opposite end, I stuck with CRT until it was dead dead dead. The ghosting/bad color/poor viewing angles on LCD was very noticeable to me. Either way I did have to switch when It was no longer worth getting the other one fixed. Even at that it was a hell of a search to get decent colors/black levels(and not having dark colors all become one color).

An old review link for you. More early 2000, but still
http://www.anandtech.com/show/831/2

Yeah I guess the card date doesn't matter so much as long as it has Windows 98 support and is compatible with the motherboard. I'll definitely be watching out for some "new" parts lol.

I'm actually surprised you had a CRT die. Those things seem to last forever! I have two laying around that aren't being used, but still run perfectly! I should do a dual monitor setup of a CRT for gaming, and the LCD for whatever I suppose. Not very 90s I guess lol. :) 

@screamzack That's awesome, but I honestly don't know what this motherboard can take. I know nothing else about it other it's an Intel.

I'm gonna start building this thing now. I will Report back later if anyone's interested by chance... ;) 
m
l
July 2, 2012 2:32:04 AM

cyanghost109 said:
So I'm going to list the specs, and I need some opinions!

cyanghost109 said:
While I do appreciate your input, I'm not necessarily looking for opinions at the moment.

I lol'd at this...
m
l
July 2, 2012 2:35:32 AM

Sephypoo73 said:
I lol'd at this...

Oops... I guess I meant to say I needed opinions but with useful facts stated in them! :) 
m
l
July 2, 2012 10:48:57 PM

Alright, I got this thing fired up and it works well! Quake 3 runs on the highest settings with some minor FPS drops during intense parts. The same with Unreal Tournament. It runs fine with Half Life and Counter Strike.

So, to stop the lag. Do you think it's a graphics issue or a CPU issue?
m
l
July 2, 2012 11:17:58 PM

Turn down the graphics settings if the lag gets better is likely the GPU if the lag gets worse its likely the CPU. That is just a rule of thumb though.

EDIT: congrats on the retro build. I miss jumpers. :) 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2012 11:18:03 PM

I am betting graphics. If my old gaming days is any indicator.

The quake 3 engine can actually use more of both.
m
l
!