Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Did I buy the incorrect hard drive?

Last response: in Components
November 8, 2012 10:15:10 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

This drive lacks data error correction. Worthless as a computer data storage device.

Pros: Be advised, the AV models are geared for streaming/recording video, so skip error correction to improve recording/playback times (idea being loss of a few missing or off color pixels not worth the time of error recovery for VIDEO that might cause missing frames, which would be much more noticeable).

Great for video.

Cons: Ignoring errors not so great for data. You want every bit to be correct, and error recovery to correct erroneous bits before writing to the drive.

Other Thoughts: Before I really understood the difference, I have several of the older EVDS models in a whs v1 server. Great for MOST of the data there - video, but not so great for backups. In WHS, don't have control of what goes where.

Would suggest these be limited to their stated purpose: video recording/playback. Would stick with standard green drives for DATA storage.

See here for details:
google
western digital av-gp 2tb hard disk drive review
and page 4 of the review at the techarp site.
Score
November 8, 2012 10:20:48 PM

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I have to send this back and get my money. God DAMN it!
Score
Related resources
November 8, 2012 10:33:14 PM

^wow that went off the box meant for replies.

Edit: well I guess I should contribute something related...so if you need help selecting a drive you can always drop a PM. Should have posted that drive on the forums prior to buying, you may have to pay for a re-stocking fee if you are returning it. However I did buy a hard drive off of newegg a while ago and it was severely delayed by purolator so I told newegg I bought another hard drive and they told me I can refuse the package at the door. When you refuse the package you don't pay anything...
Score
November 8, 2012 10:43:00 PM

socialfox said:
^wow that went off the box meant for replies.

Edit: well I guess I should contribute something related...so if you need help selecting a drive you can always drop a PM. Should have posted that drive on the forums prior to buying, you may have to pay for a re-stocking fee if you are returning it. However I did buy a hard drive off of newegg a while ago and it was severely delayed by purolator so I told newegg I bought another hard drive and they told me I can refuse the package at the door. When you refuse the package you don't pay anything...

I did, actually... in another subforum. Nobody said anything with regards to the WD HDD, however I should have paid more attention.. :\
Score

Best solution

November 8, 2012 10:44:41 PM

You consider about refusing the package? I am not too sure about Newegg's return policy with hard drives but I know they do charge a re-stocking fee.

Edit: Found this, it's not made by me obviously so I take no credit for it. It's from the FAQ from Newegg:

Are returns subject to a restocking fees?

Any return for a refund may be subject to a 15% restocking fee. This fee may be waived for the following reasons:

Carrier damage
Defective product
Product does not match advertising
Received incorrect product
Product was an extra item not ordered

Note: Any return that is misrepresented as being for any of the above reasons will automatically have the restocking fee applied even if it was initially waived.

Here is the original link: http://www.newegg.ca/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=13

Waive in this context means it does not apply to.
November 8, 2012 11:35:06 PM

Best answer selected by GoldenI.
Score
!