Closed Solved

Head spinning with options... should I go the 3770k or the 3930k

Hello,

First time poster, long time lurker (well the last 6 months or so).
So my dilema is that I have read so many articles and so many forums I feel a bit lost on what would be a good longer term quality gaming setup. My main confusion is which processor and motherboard. I think I have it figured out then read another review and then start wavering. Currently I have been leaning toward:

3930k processor
MSI X79A-GD65, or a Asus P9x79 WS (I feel the least well informed and secure about this decision so open to suggestions)

Or
3770k process
Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP7

This will mostly be a gaming computer with the goal of being very quiet. Since quiet is important I will be adding liquid cooling. I have a fairly flexible budget and am willing to spend what it takes to get a reliable, stable high performing machine.
I have to admit I have been away from custom builds for about 5 years so I am rebuilding my knowledge base. While I do enjoy the actual building of the machine I do not want to have to continually be going in and changing settings/tweaking.

Do you think either of these are a good choice or would you suggest something different?

So far for the rest of the system I have decided on:
Samsung 830 256gb drive
WD caviar black 1tb hdd
Seasonic x-1250
Silverston TJ07 case
monitor is 27inch iMac at 2560x1440

Additional likely parts:
Gigabyte GTX 670 (eventually 2-3)
Possibly in a year adding 2 additional 27 inch monitors
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about head spinning options 3770k 3930k
  1. For a gaming machine, the answer really is quite simple: there is no advantage of the 3930K vs the 3770K. The latter will perform better.
  2. I have noticed that currently there seems to be little extra value to the 3930k. My logic for thinking it could be a viable option though was as time passes games will support the additional cores making it ultimately a better performer?
  3. michaelsf said:
    Hello,

    First time poster, long time lurker (well the last 6 months or so).
    So my dilema is that I have read so many articles and so many forums I feel a bit lost on what would be a good longer term quality gaming setup. My main confusion is which processor and motherboard. I think I have it figured out then read another review and then start wavering. Currently I have been leaning toward:

    3930k processor
    MSI X79A-GD65, or a Asus P9x79 WS (I feel the least well informed and secure about this decision so open to suggestions)

    Or
    3770k process
    Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP7

    This will mostly be a gaming computer with the goal of being very quiet. Since quiet is important I will be adding liquid cooling. I have a fairly flexible budget and am willing to spend what it takes to get a reliable, stable high performing machine.
    I have to admit I have been away from custom builds for about 5 years so I am rebuilding my knowledge base. While I do enjoy the actual building of the machine I do not want to have to continually be going in and changing settings/tweaking.

    Do you think either of these are a good choice or would you suggest something different?

    So far for the rest of the system I have decided on:
    Samsung 830 256gb drive
    WD caviar black 1tb hdd
    Seasonic x-1250
    Silverston TJ07 case
    monitor is 27inch iMac at 2560x1440

    Additional likely parts:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 (eventually 2-3)
    Possibly in a year adding 2 additional 27 inch monitors



    The 3770k is a very good processor if youre doing massive and i mean massive video editing then go witht he 3930k but even your doing alot of video editing and games go with the 3770k and get a gtx 680 for a gpu with the extra hundreds saved
  4. Thanks for the advice. I think the 3770k is the way to go. Any concerns with the Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP7?

    Will have to go and review the 680's now =)
  5. michaelsf said:
    Thanks for the advice. I think the 3770k is the way to go. Any concerns with the Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP7?

    Will have to go and review the 680's now =)


    Do you have a budget for a mobo? I can find you a good on newegg
  6. Yes I am building it from scratch. The budget is flexible like I said before. I just want to keep the total build under 5k (excluding monitor since I already have that).
  7. michaelsf said:
    Yes I am building it from scratch. The budget is flexible like I said before. I just want to keep the total build under 5k (excluding monitor since I already have that).


    Ok so ill find you a good mobo and consider the gtx 690 also
  8. Best answer
    michaelsf said:
    Yes I am building it from scratch. The budget is flexible like I said before. I just want to keep the total build under 5k (excluding monitor since I already have that).


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157328
  9. Thanks so much for your recommendations!
    Is there some particular reason you chose either of those over the gigabyte?
  10. michaelsf said:
    Thanks so much for your recommendations!
    Is there some particular reason you chose either of those over the gigabyte?


    Just knowing asus is a name brand #1 customer service i dealt with and superb warranties
  11. Best answer selected by michaelsf.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product