Photo database software

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 6, 2005 8:01:11 PM

What is your favourite photo database freeware - I have tried Picasa2,
but could not share database info across a wireless network.

Cheers
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 8:01:12 PM

Paul D wrote:
> What is your favourite photo database freeware -

I've written my own. I'm strongly bent that way, and there wasn't much
available when I went digital three years ago. It doesn't run on
Windows, yet.

> I have tried Picasa2,
> but could not share database info across a wireless network.

Lots of folks seem to like Picasa2. It's surprising that it's not
network-freindly. You might get more help if you described how
it went wrong.

Paul
August 6, 2005 8:11:07 PM

"Paul D" <tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com> skrev i meddelandet
> What is your favourite photo database freeware - I have tried Picasa2,
> but could not share database info across a wireless network.
>
> Cheers

Fotostation Pro
http://www.fotoware.com/

Pepe
August 6, 2005 10:04:06 PM

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:24:55 -0700, Paul Allen <"paul dot l dot allen
at comcast dot net"> wrote:

>Paul D wrote:
>> What is your favourite photo database freeware -
>
>I've written my own. I'm strongly bent that way, and there wasn't much
>available when I went digital three years ago. It doesn't run on
>Windows, yet.
>
> > I have tried Picasa2,
>> but could not share database info across a wireless network.
>
>Lots of folks seem to like Picasa2. It's surprising that it's not
>network-freindly. You might get more help if you described how
>it went wrong.
In the file/folder import window I was not able to locate 'My Network
Places'

>Paul
August 6, 2005 10:04:07 PM

Paul D wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:24:55 -0700, Paul Allen <"paul dot l dot allen
> at comcast dot net"> wrote:

>>>I have tried Picasa2,
>>>but could not share database info across a wireless network.
>>
>>Lots of folks seem to like Picasa2. It's surprising that it's not
>>network-freindly. You might get more help if you described how
>>it went wrong.
>
> In the file/folder import window I was not able to locate 'My Network
> Places'

Select "Folder..." as the device and point it to your network resource.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 11:39:43 PM

By that criteria, wouldn't a green car be classified with a tree? Or a
brown person with brown leaves?
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:02:14 AM

In article <g2k9f15ngkhsflt8oj6ddaa1phaolvb0a6@4ax.com>,
tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com says...
> What is your favourite photo database freeware - I have tried Picasa2,
> but could not share database info across a wireless network.
>
> Cheers

Freeware : MyAlbum
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:17:38 AM

In article <g2k9f15ngkhsflt8oj6ddaa1phaolvb0a6@4ax.com>, Paul D says...
> What is your favourite photo database freeware - I have tried Picasa2,
> but could not share database info across a wireless network.

Would be great having a software which automatically analysed the images
and assigned keywords using artifical intelligence and computer vision
techniques.

Or failing that, a software which classifies/sorts the images according
to areas of homogeneous colour: images with lot of sky, lot of green,
lot of skin tones etc.
--

Alfred Molon
August 7, 2005 3:17:39 AM

Alfred Molon <alfredREMOVE_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <g2k9f15ngkhsflt8oj6ddaa1phaolvb0a6@4ax.com>, Paul D says...
> > What is your favourite photo database freeware - I have tried Picasa2,
> > but could not share database info across a wireless network.
>
> Would be great having a software which automatically analysed the images
> and assigned keywords using artifical intelligence and computer vision
> techniques.
>
> Or failing that, a software which classifies/sorts the images according
> to areas of homogeneous colour: images with lot of sky, lot of green,
> lot of skin tones etc.

iView Media Pro does that. It generates a 'Sample Color' browser. You
click on a color and get those images.

Might have to wait a few years on the automatic keyworder, however...
:-)
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 2:52:07 PM

In article <1123382383.437752.142790@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
wavelength says...
> By that criteria, wouldn't a green car be classified with a tree? Or a
> brown person with brown leaves?

That's possible. You'd have to add shape and texture recognition to
improve the classification. I guess texture recognition is quite
advanced by now.
--

Alfred Molon
August 7, 2005 6:09:05 PM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:49:47 -0700, usenet@mile23.c0m (Paul Mitchum)
wrote:

>Alfred Molon <alfredREMOVE_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <g2k9f15ngkhsflt8oj6ddaa1phaolvb0a6@4ax.com>, Paul D says...
>> > What is your favourite photo database freeware - I have tried Picasa2,
>> > but could not share database info across a wireless network.
>>
>> Would be great having a software which automatically analysed the images
>> and assigned keywords using artifical intelligence and computer vision
>> techniques.
>>
>> Or failing that, a software which classifies/sorts the images according
>> to areas of homogeneous colour: images with lot of sky, lot of green,
>> lot of skin tones etc.
>
>iView Media Pro does that. It generates a 'Sample Color' browser. You
>click on a color and get those images.

Is there a freeware version?

>Might have to wait a few years on the automatic keyworder, however...
>:-)
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 6:09:06 PM

Paul D <tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:49:47 -0700, usenet@mile23.c0m (Paul Mitchum)
> wrote:
>
> >Alfred Molon <alfredREMOVE_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> In article <g2k9f15ngkhsflt8oj6ddaa1phaolvb0a6@4ax.com>, Paul D says...
> >>
> >> Would be great having a software which automatically analysed the images
> >> and assigned keywords using artifical intelligence and computer vision
> >> techniques.
> >>
> >> Or failing that, a software which classifies/sorts the images according
> >> to areas of homogeneous colour: images with lot of sky, lot of green,
> >> lot of skin tones etc.
> >
> >iView Media Pro does that. It generates a 'Sample Color' browser. You
> >click on a color and get those images.
>
> Is there a freeware version?

It's a clear case of you get what you pay for.

Not too long ago I ran across Album Shaper, which is an open source
iPhoto look-alike... <http://albumshaper.sourceforge.net/&gt;

Short on features, but under development. And themeable, so you know
it's cool. :-)
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:23:48 PM

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 07:10:44 -0700, usenet@mile23.c0m (Paul Mitchum)
wrote:

>Paul D <tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:49:47 -0700, usenet@mile23.c0m (Paul Mitchum)
>> wrote:

>> >iView Media Pro does that. It generates a 'Sample Color' browser. You
>> >click on a color and get those images.
>>
>> Is there a freeware version?
>
>It's a clear case of you get what you pay for.
>
>Not too long ago I ran across Album Shaper, which is an open source
>iPhoto look-alike... <http://albumshaper.sourceforge.net/&gt;
>
>Short on features, but under development. And themeable, so you know
>it's cool. :-)

Cheers - look interesting
August 8, 2005 6:30:12 PM

Per Paul D:
>What is your favourite photo database freeware - I have tried Picasa2,
>but could not share database info across a wireless network.

ThumbsPlus. Dunno about the wireless network aspect.
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

"(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote:

>Per Paul D:
>>What is your favourite photo database freeware - I have tried Picasa2,
>>but could not share database info across a wireless network.
>
>ThumbsPlus. Dunno about the wireless network aspect.

I believe the OP was asking about free software.
I am doubtful he's going to find the wireless sharing capability he
wants in freeware...
--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

Paul D wrote:
> What is your favourite photo database freeware - I have tried Picasa2,
> but could not share database info across a wireless network.
>
> Cheers

I'd take a look at Pixvue. Free and integrates itself into Windows.
Fast searches and seems to be bug free these days.
http://www.pixvue.com

Angus
August 8, 2005 9:14:04 PM

Per Paul D:
>>>What is your favourite photo database freeware -

Per Mark Roberts:
>I believe the OP was asking about free software.

Duhhhhh *FREE*ware.... now I get it...

Sorry, that's about the tenth moronic post I've put up since getting my gall
bladder yanked on Tuesday. Should've just unplugged the PC and stayed in bed.
It's getting better now - I actually found/fixed a client's program bug on the
first try this morning. Maybe the anesthetist *didn't* cook my brains after
all...
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

Paul D <tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com> writes:

> Cheers - look interesting

One more candidate, if you're willing to go with a Linux
program, is KimDaBa. Very different than most others, but,
IMO, much more useful. Kind of like a "visual" database.

--ap
!