Need help with Gaming rig

Hey guys, building my self a gaming rig to do some decent level gaming on it. Its based around the AMD A8-3850 apu. It will be crossed fired with a MSI Readon 6670,1gb of ddr5, here it is: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-HD6670-PCI-Express-R6670-MD1GD5/dp/B004X6AOVM Also i will be using this motherboard : http://www.outletpc.com/cj7364.html?gclid=CMOriICx-bACFQed7QodYCAT-Q# I will most likely have 8 gigs ddr3 1600 mhz, if not it will be 6 gigs. I also have a 500 psu...im not sure if thats good enough, but this is a pretty low powered system but idk. I will also have a standard dvd RW drive. This pc will be used to play games such as BF3 (medium settings, ok resolutions) Planetside 2 when it comes out ( anyone who plays battlefield NEEDS TO PLAY THAT GAME!!!) and alot of source games on steam (tf2, l4d, gmod). So what do you guys think of this rig?

Edit: i also have a 500gb hdd ready for this rig, but i would like to have a cheap ssd for the os to be on, any suggestions? it only needs to be big enough to fit win7 home premium, so 20-30 gigs should be fine.
11 answers Last reply
More about need gaming
  1. Any computer with an AMD cpu in it cannot be called a gaming rig.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

    This chart will give you an idea of where your cpu is when compared to other gaming cpu's. Notice the amount of Intel cpu's that are listed as better than the AMD cpu that you have.
  2. inzone said:
    Any computer with an AMD cpu in it cannot be called a gaming rig.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

    This chart will give you an idea of where your cpu is when compared to other gaming cpu's. Notice the amount of Intel cpu's that are listed as better than the AMD cpu that you have.


    I agree with you, a "true gaming rig" will most likely have a intel in it, but i am on a budget, and amd offers the best bang for your buck, great graphics with a ok processor. Im not expecting the best performance or graphics, just a ok rig.
  3. inzone said:
    Any computer with an AMD cpu in it cannot be called a gaming rig.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

    This chart will give you an idea of where your cpu is when compared to other gaming cpu's. Notice the amount of Intel cpu's that are listed as better than the AMD cpu that you have.



    You wanna race????? cause in a game your $1000 cpu won't have anything over me...
  4. Ok , I can understand being on a budget but there are low priced Intel cpu's that can give you good performance.

    Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100
    $119.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078

    It's only $10 more and in the second level while the AMD cpu is in the fifth level on the chart of best gaming cpu's.

    MSI H67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    $79.99 and a $20 rebate makes the final price $59.99.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130616

    So now with this combination we are $10 below the AMD combination and you now have abetter gaming rig.
  5. inzone said:
    Ok , I can understand being on a budget but there are low priced Intel cpu's that can give you good performance.

    Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100
    $119.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078

    It's only $10 more and in the second level while the AMD cpu is in the fifth level on the chart of best gaming cpu's.

    MSI H67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    $79.99 and a $20 rebate makes the final price $59.99.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130616

    So now with this combination we are $10 below the AMD combination and you now have abetter gaming rig.

    I understand that and thanks, but for the price point the A8 cant be beat, yes the i3 does have better performance but the intergreated graphics on the A8 Beat that of a Intel processor with intel hd 3000 graphics. So its integrated gpu is much stronger and offers almost discrete level graphics for a integrated card, and on top of that i can cross fire for better performance, cant do that with intel.
  6. CF will not get you better performance than a separate stronger card.
  7. azeem40 said:
    CF will not get you better performance than a separate stronger card.


    No, but adding a performance boost to a card already known to do good in demanding games (bf3, crysis) cant hurt either. its just a system i want to use for general purpose, but tweaked towards gaming. And other than bf3 and crysis, ill be playing source engine games, which even the integrated graphics would do well on. So the rig is perfect for my needs, and i dont wish to have a AMDvsIntel war. Both companies are good. Now all i want to know is does anyone have a good deal on a 20 to 30 gig ssd and is 500w psu good for this system
  8. The APU is going to play BF3 on low settings.
  9. azeem40 said:
    The APU is going to play BF3 on low settings.

    its been seen playing it on medium at 30fps, but the apu wont be my main gpu, i have a HD 6670 1gb ddr5 that will be cossfired. It will play bf3 on medium-high settings fine
  10. As long as you're sure.
  11. azeem40 said:
    As long as you're sure.

    But my main question is that im not sure if my psu is good enough, and also what is a good size ssd for my os?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Battlefield Systems Product