Sign in with
Your question

New CPU / MB Reinstalling Windows on SSD

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2012 10:46:35 PM

I am getting a new motherboard and CPU and I have an SSD with Windows installed on it now.

I also have a velociraptor partitioned with saved stuff on E and programs / games on F.

Lastly I moved the MY DOCUMENTS folder from C to F using this method:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_move_my_document...

My question is, since my games and documents are on a different HDD, when I reinstall windows on my SSD can I plug in the velociraptor and not have to reinstall games? I am not sure if game installs creates things in the C drive even if I pointed the installer to F. Or if there are things in the registry that when I format the SSD will make me have to reinstall everything anyway.

I also thought of trying this method:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-i...

Ideas?

Just to be clear, my games are all installed on F and my doc from the C drive is on F as well.

Specs: stars represent new items being installed

*Intel Core i5-2500K
*Thermaltake Frio
*ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333 (PC3 10666)
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM
XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W

July 1, 2012 10:55:35 PM

I think that the only thing that you will have to do is make a shortcut on the desktop to point WIndows to where the folder is. A lot of games now have the settings stored in the cloud so that you can reinstall and not lose your status or levels gained.
July 1, 2012 11:27:07 PM

I have a windows system image that I made when I first installed windows on this SSD. Could I use that to reinstall windows 7 or is that image tied to the motherboard or cpu?
Related resources
July 2, 2012 2:11:43 AM

If your changing MB and cpu then the best way is to reinstall windows with a fresh install. The system image is good to do a reinstall if your keeping the same components because all the parts are the same. If you reinstall from a system image then the OS will be looking for the old cpu and all of the chipsets that were on the old MB. You can do it but it would be more work to get things sorted out.
July 3, 2012 3:46:03 AM

Yeah I thought it might look for old chipset. Dog gone it.
!