Computer Keeps Restarting!! No Bluescreen i have tried all Help!

grizdom

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
hi guys let me start off from the begining, my computer worked fine for about 6 months, then one day i had to recover some files from an old hard drive, but the only way i could get to those files was to "boot" from the old hard dirve. so i installed it and everything worked great till about 3 hours in it began asking me to update this update that. i pressed no on everything because this was only temporary and as soon as i got my files i would be done and thats it.

Well during the recovery process the computer shut off unexpectedly and refused to stay on from then on out, i thought it was a hard drive issue so i removed the old one put my two new ones in but the problem still persisted. i then thought it was the ram that could have been damaged after reading up online, so i took them out one by one and put them back on one by one and used cpuz to check if the system registered them at all and everything comes up without problems so i believe its ok.

i then thought it was the hard drives the two new ones i have so i just loaded windows with one at a time but the restart problem would continue after it posted i did the same with the cd rom drive and still nothing. i then checked the video card and switched that with an old one and still the computer would restart.

i also checked my cpu i removed it cleaned it and placed it back with new thermal paste and everything and still the problem persisted.

someone commented on here that it could be the power supply so i changed the wire that connects to the outlet to see if that might be the case (because i dont have a new power supply hanging around) and it worked for 3 hours before it would restart itself again.

i have no real way to check the motherboard and power supply so those two might be the only real suspects left.

i have tried everything guys what should i do? should i just rma the powersupply and the board? and also there is no bluescreen of death it just restarts EVEN AFTER I UNCLICKED THE OPTION TO RESTART ON A PROBLEM ISNT THAT WEIRD??!!

or should i just give in pay 60 bucks for a diagnostic at microcenter and hope that its not the mobo (Asus is not known for being helpfull on rmas....or customer service in general)

and on a side could it be because i have a copy of windows thats not genuine? guy who sold it to me gave me money back after i threatened to report him, but im just saying this as a side note. just in case it is the problem, because it restarts with no warnings no blue screens, and this problem occurred shortly after id say about two months after i got the notification. but either way i find it odd because i have not connected it online since that happened =( so please help me out

My Rig

Cpu: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

Cpu Fan: Zatarran

SSD: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Fan: APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

Case: XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Ram: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

Mobo: Asus's P6x58d Premium

Powr: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Solution
Well, just because the system sees the RAM doesn't mean the RAM is good.

I would download and run a program called MemTest86+ and run it one stick of RAM at a time for several hours each.

Now chances are its the PSU. I would RMA the PSU. You have a 50/50 or so chance if its either the PSU or the MB. Still, RMAing both would still be cheaper than a diagnostic at microcenter.

As far as the OS is concerned, it shouldn't be an issue.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Well, just because the system sees the RAM doesn't mean the RAM is good.

I would download and run a program called MemTest86+ and run it one stick of RAM at a time for several hours each.

Now chances are its the PSU. I would RMA the PSU. You have a 50/50 or so chance if its either the PSU or the MB. Still, RMAing both would still be cheaper than a diagnostic at microcenter.

As far as the OS is concerned, it shouldn't be an issue.

Solution

grizdom

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Well i just sent an rma request to corsair for the psu, im crossing my fingers hoping that that is the only thing wrong with it, i did a memtes on the ram when i first got it along time ago and i remember it being fine but i could be wrong hopefully the next psu i receive will be the source of the issue. However i will keep u updated n thanks for helping

grizdom

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
**update i have rmad the psu and the ram to see if thats the issue. i have also been doing allot of research into the problem and some might say that it could be the heat sink and thermal paste. not functioning together. i have checked the temperature over and over and that is not the problem. im thinking it could be the motherboard but ill have to wait till tuesday for the psu n ram to come in to be sure.

even though only one person has tried to help me, i will keep this thread updated, it seems to be a reoccurring theme that whenever i see a thread similar to mine with people suffering from the exact same issue it either dies off or the poster stops updating.

grizdom

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Well phyco you were right it was the psu!!!! I finally got my shipment in yesterday i switched it out and that was that. Lol i never knew a failing psu would act like that well i hope this thread will help those like me who similar issues

atraides20

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Grizdom,

I came across this thread as trying to trouble shoot the same problem. After 6ish months of perfect operation, my comp now restart randomly. No warning. No bluescreen... Its an abrupt restart, as if unplugged and plugged back in. Sometimes I have to reset the bios. The reason I'm posting is because I suspect the PSU and you have the EXACT SAME PSU. I also have the same manufacturer for RAM and MOBO but given the abrupt nature of the restarts, I'm not betting on those. I'd expect some error for memory, bluescreen at least. If it was the mobo I would expect more trouble on reboot. Good luck trouble shooting! If I figure mine out I'll be sure to update you!

Thanks,
Jon

Grimzone

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

So your saying I should trying removing the switch?

grizdom

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
yea try switching disconnecting the power on switch and put the restart switch in the power on pins and use that button to boot. in my case the power on switch had a short in the wire causing the pc to turn off and on.

try it if that dont work try the other suggestions.

Jul 31, 2018
Usually Windows would log bluescreen events when PC abruptly restart/shuts down. However for my case it didn't, couldn't find any .dmp files related to recent random reboot case.

Tried removing 1 stick of RAM & Graphic card and used old PSU. Nothing happened the entirr day.

Time to get a new PSU and when getting a PSU make sure to read the label where it shows how much amp is distritubed for the voltage. Don't fall for the trick of "Peak" usage/wattage. What you need is the total amp distributed for each rail. will update soon once I get my hands on a new PSU.