Rogues and over analysing

Having just rolled a Rogue I thought I'd have a look at the blizzard forums
to see what the crack is regarding weapons etc.

Pretty much any discussion about weapons turns into some numerical nightmare
about this weapon in this hand is slightly better than that weapon held
backwards on a thursday but only if you've spent 4 points in retaliation
divided by 42. Also don't forget your macro that swaps your main weapon with
your off-hand bicycle rad pumper with your critical poison DOT.

WTF is going on? Can't I simply get a weapon that works well? Do I have to
spend all the time worrying that I'm not using exactly the correct setup for
the situation?

It seems that its better to have a slower weapon in the main hand and a fast
one in the off-hand - EXCEPT - when its better to do exactly the opposite of
this.

Bloody confused.
23 answers Last reply
More about rogues analysing

    I just take my standard happiness approach to these things...
    10 Use weapons with best DPS in each hand
    20 Can I kill mobs same or couple of levels above with no major
    problem? YES: goto 40
    30 Play tomorrow when I'm not drunk
    40 END

    Pretty much, since I'm not into PvP, I can be so happy I'm not doing
    the uberest possible damage combination, basically because, I never
    will, it's a neverending problem.

    I think some of this comes from the different skill the rogue
    gets. Some of the them work more efficiently with a high damage slow
    weapon (i.e. Sinister Strike) and some work better with other skills
    (i.e. Backstab, only works with a dagger in the main hand). This of
    course causes confusion and lets the people who like to process
    statistics have fun.
    I use a dagger in the main hand a sword in the off hand, so I can
    use all the skills without having to change the weapon setup. This
    seems to work for me.

    Quirthanon

    Some people are way too serious about this.....
    Play to have fun for petes sake !!!

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:03:17 GMT, "Kav" <boom@tssssssss.net> wrote:

    >Having just rolled a Rogue I thought I'd have a look at the blizzard forums
    >to see what the crack is regarding weapons etc.
    >
    >Pretty much any discussion about weapons turns into some numerical nightmare
    >about this weapon in this hand is slightly better than that weapon held
    >backwards on a thursday but only if you've spent 4 points in retaliation
    >divided by 42. Also don't forget your macro that swaps your main weapon with
    >your off-hand bicycle rad pumper with your critical poison DOT.
    >
    >WTF is going on? Can't I simply get a weapon that works well? Do I have to
    >spend all the time worrying that I'm not using exactly the correct setup for
    >the situation?
    >
    >It seems that its better to have a slower weapon in the main hand and a fast
    >one in the off-hand - EXCEPT - when its better to do exactly the opposite of
    >this.

    If you ignore the math and just want some basic rules, it's always
    better to have a slower weapon in your main hand. The reason is that
    up to half of a rogue's damage can come from his special attacks
    (sinister strike and backstab) and how often you can use those is
    independent of what type of weapon you're using. It's only dependent
    on your energy regen.

    The reason that rogues usually switch out weapons is because swords
    and maces tend to be slower than daggers, so you want to equip a
    dagger for those attacks that require one (Assassinate and Backstab)
    but if end up in a fight where you can't backstab, you want to switch
    to a slower sword or mace for sinister strike.

    As for the off-hand weapon. If you don't use poison much, all you
    really care about is the DPS of the weapon. The reason many like to
    use a fast dagger in off-hand is because it gives you more chances to
    apply poison.

    Rgds, Frank

    yeah, it's a nightmare. Go with the "slow-main", "fast-offhand" theory
    until you learn all the insane minutiae of the various builds. In regards
    to talent point allocation, you got two choices. You can just
    trial-and-error it and choose on your own how to allocate your skill points,
    or go with the flavor of the month xx/xx/xx build on the forums. It used
    to be that 30/8/13 was the only build out there, now there are a billion
    sub-builds. In regards to gear, remember agility is king, and
    stamina/strength usually come second place. Some people build Stamina
    rogues with agility as the secondary stat and Stamina as the focus. Go
    figure.

    Just play the game. Don't stress. Don't worry about what Joe-Bob rogue
    next to you is wearing or doing. Just focus on yourself.

    Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, and always remember those analytical math nuts on
    the WoW rogue forums are usually dateless on Friday night. THAT'S why they
    can dedicate so much time to the math.

    "Frank E" <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:03:17 GMT, "Kav" <boom@tssssssss.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Having just rolled a Rogue I thought I'd have a look at the blizzard
    forums
    > >to see what the crack is regarding weapons etc.
    > >
    > >Pretty much any discussion about weapons turns into some numerical
    nightmare
    > >about this weapon in this hand is slightly better than that weapon held
    > >backwards on a thursday but only if you've spent 4 points in retaliation
    > >divided by 42. Also don't forget your macro that swaps your main weapon
    with
    > >your off-hand bicycle rad pumper with your critical poison DOT.
    > >
    > >WTF is going on? Can't I simply get a weapon that works well? Do I have
    > >spend all the time worrying that I'm not using exactly the correct setup
    for
    > >the situation?
    > >
    > >It seems that its better to have a slower weapon in the main hand and a
    fast
    > >one in the off-hand - EXCEPT - when its better to do exactly the opposite
    of
    > >this.
    >
    > If you ignore the math and just want some basic rules, it's always
    > better to have a slower weapon in your main hand. The reason is that
    > up to half of a rogue's damage can come from his special attacks
    > (sinister strike and backstab) and how often you can use those is
    > independent of what type of weapon you're using. It's only dependent
    > on your energy regen.
    >
    > The reason that rogues usually switch out weapons is because swords
    > and maces tend to be slower than daggers, so you want to equip a
    > dagger for those attacks that require one (Assassinate and Backstab)
    > but if end up in a fight where you can't backstab, you want to switch
    > to a slower sword or mace for sinister strike.
    >
    > As for the off-hand weapon. If you don't use poison much, all you
    > really care about is the DPS of the weapon. The reason many like to
    > use a fast dagger in off-hand is because it gives you more chances to
    > apply poison.
    >
    > Rgds, Frank

    great summary.. probably wrapped up 10,000 posts with those 3 paragraphs.

    "nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Some people are way too serious about this.....
    > Play to have fun for petes sake !!!

    exactly! Just play!

    > >I use a dagger in the main hand a sword in the off hand, so I can
    > >use all the skills without having to change the weapon setup.

    *stifles a manic gasp*

    but, but, your just making it tougher to...

    Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, i mean, exactly! Just play! *controls urge to
    explain*

    Kav loved her ferret enough to say...
    > Having just rolled a Rogue I thought I'd have a look at the blizzard forums
    > to see what the crack is regarding weapons etc.
    >
    > Pretty much any discussion about weapons turns into some numerical nightmare
    > about this weapon in this hand is slightly better than that weapon held
    > backwards on a thursday but only if you've spent 4 points in retaliation
    > divided by 42. Also don't forget your macro that swaps your main weapon with
    > your off-hand bicycle rad pumper with your critical poison DOT.
    >
    > WTF is going on? Can't I simply get a weapon that works well? Do I have to
    > spend all the time worrying that I'm not using exactly the correct setup for
    > the situation?
    >
    > It seems that its better to have a slower weapon in the main hand and a fast
    > one in the off-hand - EXCEPT - when its better to do exactly the opposite of
    > this.
    >
    > Bloody confused.

    Me too, I've started playing a rogue, and have no idea whether it's
    better to go dual daggers, dual swords, sword/dagger, dagger/sword...

    I'm dual daggers at the moment (mainly becuase I can't find a sword
    that's any better...)

    --
    Trooper
    usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

    I've given up trying to work it out. I now base it on what hurts alot and
    looks good

    "Paul T" <pteadsale@plus.net> wrote in message
    > I've given up trying to work it out. I now base it on what hurts alot and
    > looks good

    Damn, I just wasted 5 minutes writing out what Paul wrote in
    2 sentances...
    ;-)

    On 12 May 2005 07:53:44 -0700, "Quirthanon" <quirthanon@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    > I think some of this comes from the different skill the rogue
    >gets. Some of the them work more efficiently with a high damage slow
    >weapon (i.e. Sinister Strike) and some work better with other skills
    >(i.e. Backstab, only works with a dagger in the main hand). This of
    >course causes confusion and lets the people who like to process
    >statistics have fun.
    > I use a dagger in the main hand a sword in the off hand, so I can
    >use all the skills without having to change the weapon setup. This
    >seems to work for me.

    Exactly what i do. I like using the dagger specific skills, so i dont
    want to miss on them by going dual sword.

    --
    Gamertag: unclechibi
    http://unclechibi.blogspot.com

    In article <FmJge.30545$G8.27892@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    boom@tssssssss.net says...
    > Having just rolled a Rogue I thought I'd have a look at the blizzard forums
    > to see what the crack is regarding weapons etc.
    >
    > Pretty much any discussion about weapons turns into some numerical nightmare
    > about this weapon in this hand is slightly better than that weapon held
    > backwards on a thursday but only if you've spent 4 points in retaliation
    > divided by 42. Also don't forget your macro that swaps your main weapon with
    > your off-hand bicycle rad pumper with your critical poison DOT.
    >
    > WTF is going on? Can't I simply get a weapon that works well? Do I have to
    > spend all the time worrying that I'm not using exactly the correct setup for
    > the situation?
    >
    > It seems that its better to have a slower weapon in the main hand and a fast
    > one in the off-hand - EXCEPT - when its better to do exactly the opposite of
    > this.
    >
    > Bloody confused.

    It all depends on your talent build, play style, and weapon availability
    on your server. On some servers it is very difficult to get good
    daggers, on others they are a dime a dozen. Try something for a while
    and avoid the forums. You can always respec your talents later.

    --
    Rob Berryhill

    > It seems that its better to have a slower weapon in the main hand and a
    > fast one in the off-hand - EXCEPT - when its better to do exactly the
    > opposite of this.
    >
    > Bloody confused.

    I have a weapon swap macro that I made to swap my main hand sword for a
    dagger in my backpack whenever I go into stealth. And another that can swap
    back them when I have ambushed backstabbed or whathaveyou. This probably
    goes firmly into the camp of 'over analysing' but I will post them if you
    are interested.

    I have lots of questions I would love to answer about my rogue, but playing
    her is so much more fun than number crunching I just never get to find out
    the answers :)

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 17:55:40 +0100, "Fallout" <a@d.c> wrote:

    >> It seems that its better to have a slower weapon in the main hand and a
    >> fast one in the off-hand - EXCEPT - when its better to do exactly the
    >> opposite of this.
    >>
    >> Bloody confused.
    >>
    >I have a weapon swap macro that I made to swap my main hand sword for a
    >dagger in my backpack whenever I go into stealth. And another that can swap
    >back them when I have ambushed backstabbed or whathaveyou. This probably
    >goes firmly into the camp of 'over analysing' but I will post them if you
    >are interested.

    Please post :-)

    --

    "Fallout" <a@d.c> wrote in message

    >> It seems that its better to have a slower weapon in the main hand and a
    >> fast one in the off-hand - EXCEPT - when its better to do exactly the
    >> opposite of this.
    >>
    >> Bloody confused.
    >>
    > I have a weapon swap macro that I made to swap my main hand sword for a
    > dagger in my backpack whenever I go into stealth. And another that can
    > swap back them when I have ambushed backstabbed or whathaveyou. This
    > probably goes firmly into the camp of 'over analysing' but I will post
    > them if you are interested.
    >
    > I have lots of questions I would love to answer about my rogue, but
    > playing her is so much more fun than number crunching I just never get to
    > find out the answers :)

    I too use quick weapon swap with stancesets.
    it is great. I didn't crunch numers. I got the mods and set up my stealth
    mode to dagger, off hand item with agility and strength and my out of
    stelath to sword sword, and an alternate switch back to dagger, off hand
    item in case I am partied and can do more backstabbing :)
    I dont know the numbers but I do know I can solo elites my lever or one
    higher and mobs 3 (sometimes 4) higher with medium priced gear.

    My explination probably sounds just like what the OP was complaining about.
    But really if you want an informed answer to get un bloody confused its
    gonna take some information.

    Or wait. On second thought hell, screw it. go bare fisted.

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:03:17 GMT, "Kav" <boom@tssssssss.net> wrote:

    >Having just rolled a Rogue I thought I'd have a look at the blizzard forums
    >to see what the crack is regarding weapons etc.

    <snip>

    >Bloody confused.

    Yup, you don't know the class and is trying to get both the basics and
    the specifics at the same time - no good will ever come from that :)

    First off, until you get to at least 30 it won't make any difference,
    and you won't really have any selection of weapons to choose from
    anyway, so just forget about all this until then.

    When you get there you should have an idea if you want to do the
    number crunching thing, or if you want to go the Mark Rimer route. If
    you want to min-max, then go read all those posts again - you should
    be able to undestand much more at that point.
    If not, then Mark already posted the strategy guide :)

    Of course, if you really want to jump into it straight away, then you
    should look at the guidelines Frank E posted - they are simple, good &
    true.
    And if you are dying for an explanation of them, then I guess that
    could be arranged too. :)

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    > Please post :-)
    >
    > --
    > Gamertag: unclechibi
    > http://unclechibi.blogspot.com

    I use this for my hide macro. It swaps the sword in my main hand for the
    dagger in the top left slot of the far left bag.

    /cast Stealth(Rank 3);
    /script if(GetContainerItemLink(4,1)) then
    PickupInventoryItem(16);PickupContainerItem(4,1); end

    Then another version for the attack, which puts the sword back in.

    /cast Ambush(Rank 3);
    /script if(GetContainerItemLink(4,2)) then
    PickupInventoryItem(16);PickupContainerItem(4,1); end

    Substitute Backstab or whatever for Ambush where appropriate and don't
    forget to update the Rank in the macro when you get trained. If it stops
    working you have probably done this or moved your dagger :)

    I use this method and have not used the mods, it may be a bit clunky but it
    works after a bit of practice. I can't take any credit for them - I just cut
    and pasted bits of existing stuff from the WoW interface forum. HTH.

    - Fallout.

    /bow

    My hero.

    Lord Cuisanart all the way.

    I'm only level 33 with my main (rogue) and dual-daggering because I'm
    exploring & grinding too much to give a damn about the math. I'm an ORC for
    goodness' sake - what is MATH?

    I will probably end up with a Sword/Dagger combo with as fast as I can on
    each. I prefer garrot to ambush, so the main-hand-dagger arguement isn't
    compelling to me.

    Etc.

    Etc.

    Etc.

    Play your own game, get your own $15/month worth of enjoyment.

    If you are asking for the best munchkin (min/max) build - DO THE MATH
    YOURSELF!

    That should keep you occupied while I go exploring.

    ~la

    http://www.usenet.com

    > /cast Ambush(Rank 3);
    > /script if(GetContainerItemLink(4, ** 2 ** )) then
    > PickupInventoryItem(16);PickupContainerItem(4,1); end

    *** 1 *** that should have been a 1.
    (sorry to reply to my own post)

    -Fallout

    "Don Sly" <tdNOslySPAM@PLEASEsasktel.net> wrote in message

    > "Frank E" <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> If you ignore the math and just want some basic rules, it's always
    >> better to have a slower weapon in your main hand. The reason is that
    >> up to half of a rogue's damage can come from his special attacks
    >> (sinister strike and backstab) and how often you can use those is
    >> independent of what type of weapon you're using. It's only dependent
    >> on your energy regen.
    >>
    >> The reason that rogues usually switch out weapons is because swords
    >> and maces tend to be slower than daggers, so you want to equip a
    >> dagger for those attacks that require one (Assassinate and Backstab)
    >> but if end up in a fight where you can't backstab, you want to switch
    >> to a slower sword or mace for sinister strike.
    >>
    >> As for the off-hand weapon. If you don't use poison much, all you
    >> really care about is the DPS of the weapon. The reason many like to
    >> use a fast dagger in off-hand is because it gives you more chances to
    >> apply poison.
    >>
    >> Rgds, Frank
    >

    > great summary.. probably wrapped up 10,000 posts with those 3 paragraphs.

    Yup totally agree with you, forums should stick that at the top and tell the
    number crunchers to go and do one. :)

    Kav wrote:

    > "Don Sly" <tdNOslySPAM@PLEASEsasktel.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Frank E" <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>>If you ignore the math and just want some basic rules, it's always
    >>>better to have a slower weapon in your main hand. The reason is that
    >>>up to half of a rogue's damage can come from his special attacks
    >>>(sinister strike and backstab) and how often you can use those is
    >>>independent of what type of weapon you're using. It's only dependent
    >>>on your energy regen.
    >>>
    >>>The reason that rogues usually switch out weapons is because swords
    >>>and maces tend to be slower than daggers, so you want to equip a
    >>>dagger for those attacks that require one (Assassinate and Backstab)
    >>>but if end up in a fight where you can't backstab, you want to switch
    >>>to a slower sword or mace for sinister strike.
    >>>
    >>>As for the off-hand weapon. If you don't use poison much, all you
    >>>really care about is the DPS of the weapon. The reason many like to
    >>>use a fast dagger in off-hand is because it gives you more chances to
    >>>apply poison.
    >>>
    >>>Rgds, Frank
    >>

    >>great summary.. probably wrapped up 10,000 posts with those 3 paragraphs.
    >>

    > Yup totally agree with you, forums should stick that at the top and tell the
    > number crunchers to go and do one. :)

    I third it as well, and it's not just about rogues. In the end, what
    really matters is the feeling you have when playing your character. If
    you feel you could like a slower, heavier attack better than quick,
    light attacks, go for it. I personally like to move a lot in melee PVP,
    so having a slow weapon there is a bad idea because I'd miss a lot of
    hits not properly facing my opponent. And not hitting at all for several
    seconds is, for me, a pledge of suicide.

    Likewise, with my priest I don't like shadow damage. I didn't do the
    maths as for which source is the best in the end when considering
    resistances to shadow, it's just a choice, "my damage will be holy", so
    I adjust my gear, talents and general tactics accordingly. And it yields
    good results for me. Not sure if it's *the* holy strategy, but as long
    as I have fun, I know I'm using a good one already.

    <KStringer@hu-friedy.com> wrote in message
    > /bow
    >
    > My hero.
    >
    > Lord Cuisanart all the way.
    >
    > I'm only level 33 with my main (rogue) and dual-daggering because I'm
    > exploring & grinding too much to give a damn about the math. I'm an ORC
    > for
    > goodness' sake - what is MATH?
    >
    > I will probably end up with a Sword/Dagger combo with as fast as I can on
    > each. I prefer garrot to ambush, so the main-hand-dagger arguement isn't
    > compelling to me.
    >
    > Etc.
    >
    > Etc.
    >
    > Etc.
    >
    > Play your own game, get your own $15/month worth of enjoyment.
    >
    > If you are asking for the best munchkin (min/max) build - DO THE MATH
    > YOURSELF!
    >
    > That should keep you occupied while I go exploring.

    I picked up a rather nice blue sword of buggery (or something) last night
    through SM with my druid, its a level 23 main hand sword with a loverly dps
    and rogue style adds so it looks as if I'll be using that and a macro to
    swap to a dagger for the stealth stuff :)

    So in my case the lure of having a blue weapon has won over anything else :)

    Only 13 levels until i can use it ;-)

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:19:07 +0200, Babe Bridou
    <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I third it as well, and it's not just about rogues. In the end, what
    >really matters is the feeling you have when playing your character. If
    >you feel you could like a slower, heavier attack better than quick,
    >light attacks, go for it. I personally like to move a lot in melee PVP,
    >so having a slow weapon there is a bad idea because I'd miss a lot of
    >hits not properly facing my opponent. And not hitting at all for several
    >seconds is, for me, a pledge of suicide.

    At least for a rogue, there's advantages to understanding the math
    even if you aren't trying to min-max things. Even at 60, you can get a
    lot of mileage from relatively easy to get mainhand weapons. A Thrash
    Blade (quest reward for a low 50s group) and a barman shanker
    (soloable at 60) stack up surprisingly well even against a lot of
    weapons that would cost you over 500g at the AH.

    I tend to come down somewhere in the middle when it comes to style vs.
    substance so it also lets me know just how much I'm giving up by
    ignoring the numbers. Going with a pair of fast daggers was something
    I wanted to do with my rogue but at the end of the day I wasn't
    willing to give up 1/3 of my DPS.

    Rgds, Frank

Video Games Product