Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I buy a 7970 now or wait for 1ghz editions?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2012 10:03:32 AM

Been looking for a thread about this in the forums but since I can't find any ill just post my question, since my tax return has finally arrived, I was planning on getting a 7970, until I came across this:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/27056-amd-preparing-h...
http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-features/63226-amd-to-b...

Now according to these, the 7970 1ghz will be the same 7970 but bumped to 1050mhz which some cards already are at, and even surpasses it (MSI lighting comes into mind). So should I wait until the 1ghz cards will be released or should I just say this is just marketing junk get the card already?

a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 10:29:49 AM

As the add states, the current gpu's are capable of hitting 1250MHz. They are claiming that the new 'crop of chips' is a bit better requiring less voltage and generating less heat. I am not sure what to believe since the architecture has not changed at all. Any of the current 7970's on the market can easily run at 1125MHz at stock voltage. Looks like they are just bumping up the base clock frequency to 1GHz for marketing. If it were any more than marketing, there would be a lot of really pissed 7970 owners including me.
m
l

Best solution

May 8, 2012 10:47:32 AM

Not exactly golden sources of data or clear timelines on the 1Ghz edition.

The price drop has already kicked in with the 680 GTX so I would just order one now rather than wait. If you are going to overclock anyway there isn't much reason to wait, you are almost guarranted to get over 1100mhz on any card you buy now anyway and I think it highly unlikely AMD will release a reference version running any faster than that under the 7970 label.
Related resources
May 8, 2012 10:53:01 AM

Best answer selected by D_bkpckr.
m
l
May 8, 2012 10:53:38 AM

Maximus_Delta said:
Not exactly golden sources of data or clear timelines on the 1Ghz edition.

The price drop has already kicked in with the 680 GTX so I would just order one now rather than wait. If you are going to overclock anyway there isn't much reason to wait, you are almost guarranted to get over 1100mhz on any card you buy now anyway and I think it highly unlikely AMD will release a reference version running any faster than that under the 7970 label.

Thanks! ill go ahead and order a 7970 now
m
l
!