(MSI Radeon HD 5750-PM2D1G) The mystery of the hanging computer

Magister Mundi

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hey all,

So, I have an... interesting... problem - my computer keeps hanging.

Now, in the start, it would randomly hang every couple of minutes. The mouse would stop moving, the sound (if there was any) would loop, the keyboard would lock up (no Capslock light, for example), and the only way forward was to hard boot. It would do this without regard to what I was doing; I could be checking my e-mail, browsing Facebook, or typing up a document.

Following earlier advice on a different board, I went into my BIOS, completely disabled my onboard GPU (an HD 4200, I think), uninstalled everything ATI, and then re-installed my drivers from the ATI site.

That fixed it... sort of. Now I can browse the Internet or type stuff up without my machine locking up.

However, when I'm watching some Flash videos (random YouTube videos, some other Flash players), the same ol' lockup happens. Strangely, though, some Flash players - like the one the Escapist uses - don't cause the lock-up. I just watched five Zero Punctuation reviews in a row, no problem. Sometimes I can make it through a YouTube video, too.

My machine also locks up when I'm done playing some games. For example, I played Team Fortress 2 for about an hour earlier today, and it ran just fine. However, a few seconds after I quit out, the machine locked up again. Other games just plain CTD, but don't cause a lockup. Still others (like Mount and Blade: Warband), work just fine, with no hanging afterward.

My Event Viewer is proving to be rather worthless, telling me only that, surprise surprise, there was a kernel-power error when I hard booted my machine.

I should also note that it's perfectly stable in Safe Mode, making me think it's definitely a software/driver issue.

Any ideas?

Specs:

Mobo: ECS A885GM-A2 (ver. 1.1)
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 965 (3.4 GHz)
GPU: MSI Radeon HD 5750-PM2D1G
HDD: Samsung 1TB SATA 7200rpm
RAM: Corsair 8GB (4x2GB) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 Dual-Channel
Audio: Realtek Onboard HD Audio

Magister Mundi

Honorable
May 8, 2012
The Event Viewer unfortunately doesn't tell me anything. I do plan on running MemTest, though. Also, does anyone know if there's a more in-depth logging service that I can enable? I know there was for Server 2008, but I'm not so sure about Windows 7.