Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II x4 955 overheating, please help

Last response: in CPUs
November 9, 2012 5:36:33 AM

Hey everyone,
I'm new here and i would really appreciate some help as nothing seems to be working.

My CPU is running really hot all the time, when nothing is running and the computer is just sitting there the temperature is around 40 degrees cel (102 far) using CPUID HW Monitor

Ive tried new thermal paste, but that hasn't helped (using two different techniques of applying, Card spread, and pea in the middle and put the cooler on top)

Ive changed the bios settings so that the cpu fan is running at max all the time, and that has lowered the temperature when its doing nothing, but as soon as i try playing a game the temperature is back up to 80 degrees cel.

The side of the case is off and ive got sufficient air flow in the case, the room temperature is around 20 degrees.

Specs:
7850 video card
8 gig DDR3

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-890FXA-UD5
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Any help would be awesome as i cant think of what to do next, all games are spiking like crazy and id assume this is the problem.

Cheers for any help you can provide.

More about : phenom 955 overheating

a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 6:23:03 AM

Can only suggest switching to an aftermarket cooler, though the stock fan should cope better than that! Sounds almost as if it's not clamping down evenly.
Popular choice and reasonably priced is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Trust you are using a quality paste like Arctic Silver?
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 6:37:51 AM

Open Gigabyte ET6 (easy tune 6 it came as part of your mobo software), click the HW monitor tab in that then within that the FAN/TEMP tab. Read your CPU temp there and see if it matches (This one should match the BIOS and should be accurate, on my AMD system this can be up to 15 degrees lower than CPUID)...you can also easily control your fan speeds here on the Smart tab
Related resources
November 9, 2012 10:08:30 AM

hi guys cheers for the quick reply,

I've using something called Deep Cool thermal grease as that's all they had in my local area, apparently its what they use on their builds, but i know Arctic Silver would be best.

I have a feeling its not the cooler its self cause it has only just started doing it in the past month, and only now have i had the time to address the issue.

I've searched for easy tune 6 on my computer but cannot find anything, however i have set the CPU fan to run at max all the time in bios, and the bios temps pretty much match HW Monitor.. So i dont know what else to try.

got anymore ideas guys?

November 9, 2012 12:30:42 PM

If you are using the stock cooler that is problem #1. You must get an aftermarket cooler. Understand that after you get the stock cooler removed you clean all of the grease off of your CPU. When you have the new cooler and Arctic Silver you must be very careful NOT TO PUT TOO MUCH ON. A very thin layer is all that's needed. I mean next to nothing. NOT A JOKE. The compound is there to insure proper heat transfer to the cooler. Too much compound and there is actually less heat transfer. Get yourself a heat pipe type of cooler with the biggest fan you can fit into your case. Just a note here, AMD processors have always run hotter than Intel. Good Luck
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 12:33:55 PM

tjc1937 said:
I cannot find EZ Tune 6 for my system. AMD Phenom II 965 BE. It's not on Gigabyte web site. I don't need it. I was kinda curious

Its on the CD that came bundled with your mobo
November 9, 2012 12:34:00 PM

wr6133 said:
Open Gigabyte ET6 (easy tune 6 it came as part of your mobo software), click the HW monitor tab in that then within that the FAN/TEMP tab. Read your CPU temp there and see if it matches (This one should match the BIOS and should be accurate, on my AMD system this can be up to 15 degrees lower than CPUID)...you can also easily control your fan speeds here on the Smart tab

I cannot find EZ Tune 6 for my system. AMD Phenom II 965 BE. It's not on Gigabyte web site. I don't need it. I was kinda curious
November 9, 2012 1:15:42 PM

Thank You
November 9, 2012 1:35:53 PM

I am using a corsair A70 and am Idle at around 30c and load is 50c on an Athlon II x4
November 9, 2012 11:43:33 PM

I know that a stock cooler isn't the most ideal thing, however i should'nt be getting high temps like this. I haven't in the past so i don't understand why its only happening now.

I watched a few video tutorials on how to apply the thermal grease, and I'm pretty sure it's done correctly so that's not it either.

the temperatures are just too damn high! anyone know what else it could be?
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 1:20:40 AM

I have the exact same processor, and I've never had an overheating problem with the stock cooler (But it was running hot around 35-40 idle and 50-60 load).
I replaced it with the Hyper 212+ (Really cheap cooler for the performance) I put a thin line of thermal compound in the center and then the heat sink.

Enter BIOS and check if there's an option for cool down the CPU when Idle like ASUS Cool'n Quiet.

a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 2:09:25 AM

I too have the same processor as well (black edition) , anyways check the CPU vcore. When I installed mine I had a stock voltage of 1.4 which is a bit too much, managed to lower mine to 1.375 and lowered the temperatures by a bit. Anyways cool'n quiet does make a big difference, when I disable it I get idle temps of 35-36 degrees with the Antec Kuhler 620 compared to the normal 27-32 degrees. Also how is the airflow in your case? If it's lacking then your temperatures might be a result of that. Lastly, check for dust buildup on the heatsink, if there is a lot then that is also your problem.

Anyways if you are buying a new cooler then might I recommend the Hyper 212. It is pretty cheap (price wise) and performs on par with quite a few closed water cooling loops with only 1-2 degree differences.
!