Which CPU (~170$) for Linux debugging/compiling ?

energylogic

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Hello,
I am trying to specify a CPU around 150-200$ that would perform reasonably with GDB/GCC. THe OS would be OpenSUSE 12.2. Should my main criterion be the IPC of each processor or something else? What should I choose?
An i5, a FX8350 or an Opteron chip?
A.M.

In that price range, if you find a cheap i7 2600k should be quite good for a couple of years. If not, the FX8350 is another good choice for what you mention.

If you want to get even cheaper, maybe an i5 2500k/3570k or a FX6300/8320/8150 could do the trick as well.

Leave the Opterons and Xeons out IMO.

Cheers!

InvalidError

Titan
i5-3xxx or FX83xx would be your two best choices in that price range depending on which side you prefer.

Personally, the ~50W lower TDP with i5-3xxx without much of a compromise performance-wise (i5 leads in most benchmarks) seals the deal. Over the 5-7 years I expect to use my i5-3470, I will save over $200 on power/cooling bills vs FX8320.

This is for Linux, so the 8350 eats the i5 in multithreading and comes within striking range in low threaded works.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_fx8350_visherabdver2&num=1

Regarding consumption, I don't know... Is it really an issue for the OP? He didn't even mention it.

Cheers!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

What are the specs for the rest of the rig that this CPU would be installed in? Choosing a particular CPU will also choose the corresponding motherboard and possibly even memory choices.

What is the total budget for this build as well?