Upgrading my HP XW6400

Chriscart

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Hello,
I have a HP xw6400 Work station. I intend to upgrade to 2x Xeon e5345, 16gb memory (or higher depending on the availability of funds) 2tb of internal storage . all this for HD video editing. since i bought the machine used, i dont have the original cd's and stuff so im not sure what are the acceptable limits i can go to with this. will be running windows 7 ultimate

Solution
[strike]I cannot find any documentation that states it can handle more than one Xeon processor.[/strike] Correction: I just found a picture of that model of computer with the MB exposed. You should be able to have two of those bad boys. You will be limited to a maximum amount of 16 GB of DDR 2 ECC RAM (using 4 x 4GB sticks). Upgrading to a 2 TB HDD is simple and universally allowed (unless the MB has some weird BIOS limiting HDD size). In addition, I suggest a second smaller HDD as a scratch disk for video editing. It can be 40 to 80 GBs in size. There shouldn't be a need for anything larger.

Make sure you upgrade the computer to the latest BIOS before installing the E5345's.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
[strike]I cannot find any documentation that states it can handle more than one Xeon processor.[/strike] Correction: I just found a picture of that model of computer with the MB exposed. You should be able to have two of those bad boys. You will be limited to a maximum amount of 16 GB of DDR 2 ECC RAM (using 4 x 4GB sticks). Upgrading to a 2 TB HDD is simple and universally allowed (unless the MB has some weird BIOS limiting HDD size). In addition, I suggest a second smaller HDD as a scratch disk for video editing. It can be 40 to 80 GBs in size. There shouldn't be a need for anything larger.

Make sure you upgrade the computer to the latest BIOS before installing the E5345's.

Solution