Sign in with
Your question

First Build: ~$1200 Gaming PC (Help Wanted)

Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2012 4:59:42 AM

As per the title, this is my first PC build, so I'd love suggestions on components to include/avoid, and pointers on any problems with what I have.
I am Canadian, so I'm primarily looking on Newegg.ca, and any prices will be in $CAD.
Without further adieu, here's what I have so far.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K ($230)
A strong CPU, 2500K is only $5 cheaper, so I think I'm best to stay here.

GPU: MSI Twin Frozr Radeon HD 7850 2GB ($260)
Don't really know too much about GPUs, but this card had good a performance-to-cost ratio and fit my budget.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 ($160)
Don't know much about motherboards either, but I think this should fit my needs.

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-90G 2.5" 90GB ($90)
At this point, I don't think I will put an SSD in the final build for budget reasons.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM ($120)
A reasonably priced 7200rpm HDD.

Memory: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ($40)
Reasonably priced 8gb of RAM.

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 ($110)
Recommended to me.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi ($110)
I know its on the pricey side, but the look of the case is worth a small premium to me.

CD Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk ($20)
Blah, blah, blah - generic cheapo drive.

Total Cost: $1050 + Tax & Shipping ($1140 with SSD)

Oh and here's this, from the "How to Ask for New Build Advice" thread.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week-ish, unless there is a big reason for me to wait.
Budget Range: ~$1200CAD, but less expensive is better.
System Usage: Gaming, Programming/Game Development, Everyday Use
Parts not Required Mouse, OS, Sound equipment. I also DO a monitor and keyboard, but I'm fairly certain I'm going to order the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 ($50) and the Asus VH236H ($170).
Preferred Website: Newegg.ca is where I've done my searching so far, though anywhere that ships to Canada (BC specifically) is fine. I'd prefer to order it all from one place if possible.
Parts preferences: Intel CPU.
SLI/Crossfire: Eventually, perhaps, but not right away.
Monitor Res: 1920x1080

Thanks a lot for any help you can lend to a newbie!
July 2, 2012 5:46:34 AM

if this were me, I wouldn't get a z68 mobo. I had one for my build but then I ditched it since I never used SSD caching, and I could overclock with a P67 just fine. There are some newer chipsets as well but I haven't really kept up with them so no further insight on that. If you go for a bit cheaper of a mobo you can ditch the SSD as well (I'd wait till you can afford a 120 or higher to put the OS and a couple games on there) that way right now you can afford a higher end GPU.
Related resources
July 2, 2012 4:21:18 PM

myothernamewasbanned said:
if this were me, I wouldn't get a z68 mobo. I had one for my build but then I ditched it since I never used SSD caching, and I could overclock with a P67 just fine. There are some newer chipsets as well but I haven't really kept up with them so no further insight on that. If you go for a bit cheaper of a mobo you can ditch the SSD as well (I'd wait till you can afford a 120 or higher to put the OS and a couple games on there) that way right now you can afford a higher end GPU.

Alright, so something like the MSI P67A-GD53 or BIOSTAR TP67XE? Those combined with removing the SSD would leave me with a budget of about $440 for a GPU. Any suggestions in that range?
I'll also mention that I don't intend to do any overclocking for now, so not too worried about parts in that regard.

bigcyco1 said:
Everything looks pretty good but that PSU is a no go get this instead it also a little cheaper http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Alright, just swapped it out. Thanks!
July 4, 2012 2:43:20 AM

Alright, I know it's a bad habit to double post and whatnot, but I'd like to order these parts in the next couple of days and I still need advice.

At this point I'm probably looking at buying a 670, but I'd like to know which card is the best deal in the $440 and down range. Also, will I be able to SLI those eventually with the 650W PSU, or will I need to step it up?
Oh, and I still need to know about the motherboard, specifically which one in particular is the highest recommended.

Thanks again!
!