Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Before I had xp installed, my windows explorer sorted numerical file names by
the value of each digit. Example, 132, 146, 256, 2665, 423, etc. Now, with
xp, that order is by the total value of the number or by the number of
digits. For example, that same list would be 132, 146, 256, 423, 2665. The
file "2665" with be last or first depending on the type of sort. So question
is:

how do i make it sort files the old way? Or how do i switch between the two
sorting methods?

Use TweakUI

TweakUI
[+] Explorer
? Use intuitive filename sorting

[[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g. “File 5”
comes before “File 10” because 5 comes before 10. If this is unchecked then
Explorer will use literal sorting, in which case “File 10” will come before
“File 5” because 1 comes before 5. ]]
----

Download TweakUI here >>>

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe
-----

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

-----

The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

Windows Explorer Incorrectly Sorts Files and Folders with 10 or
More Consecutive Numerals
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318872

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F7C86818-B808-4E45-A881-D8B856652A51@microsoft.com,
Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Before I had xp installed, my windows explorer sorted numerical file
> names by the value of each digit. Example, 132, 146, 256, 2665, 423,
> etc. Now, with xp, that order is by the total value of the number or
> by the number of digits. For example, that same list would be 132,
> 146, 256, 423, 2665. The file "2665" with be last or first depending
> on the type of sort. So question is:
>
> how do i make it sort files the old way? Or how do i switch between
> the two sorting methods?

Hi Tom,

You may download and run the following edit:

Correct the sort order in Windows XP (line 19, right column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Before I had xp installed, my windows explorer sorted numerical file names by
> the value of each digit. Example, 132, 146, 256, 2665, 423, etc. Now, with
> xp, that order is by the total value of the number or by the number of
> digits. For example, that same list would be 132, 146, 256, 423, 2665. The
> file "2665" with be last or first depending on the type of sort. So question
> is:
>
> how do i make it sort files the old way? Or how do i switch between the two
> sorting methods?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, both responses worked. I'll use tweak UI to further customize the
workstation. Gosh, humans are so picky. :)