Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop boots up and then cuts and then repeats over and over

Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2012 5:34:08 AM

My Acer Aspire 5742 has started doing what many other users are describing in these forums but on newbuilds.
It is 2 years old. has been faultless until now. Now it randomly goes into these fits of boot-power off-boot-power off
on start up. I have removed battery and it still does it.
Any ideas what may be plaguing my (up to now perfectly performing) laptop?
Ta!
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2012 5:36:33 AM

Could be the laptop PSU going bad. Or the Memory, or the MB...

I would run other diagnostics on it first, however. Starting with Memtest86+ to test the laptop memory.

That said, I've found it difficult to diagnose laptops. So hopefully someone who is a laptop expert can chime in here and help you out (and if they are nice enough, help me out on how to diagnose one better/easier).
m
l
July 2, 2012 6:18:18 AM

Thanks for speedy response phyco126. I will try Memtest and see what it reports. S.

phyco126 said:
Could be the laptop PSU going bad. Or the Memory, or the MB...

I would run other diagnostics on it first, however. Starting with Memtest86+ to test the laptop memory.

That said, I've found it difficult to diagnose laptops. So hopefully someone who is a laptop expert can chime in here and help you out (and if they are nice enough, help me out on how to diagnose one better/easier).

m
l
Related resources
July 12, 2012 2:46:04 AM

Diagnostics did not pull up any issues with the memory. I remember an issue I had with my Compaq E500 laptop many years ago when the battery started to fail it caused the computer to do something similar. So turning my attention back to the Acer in front of me I decided to pull the battery and exchange it with my friend's Acer battery. Voila! It started up no problem and has been fine ever since. The peculiar thing is that my friend's Acer started no problem on my battery!
m
l

Best solution

July 12, 2012 7:45:25 AM

revecom said:
Diagnostics did not pull up any issues with the memory. I remember an issue I had with my Compaq E500 laptop many years ago when the battery started to fail it caused the computer to do something similar. So turning my attention back to the Acer in front of me I decided to pull the battery and exchange it with my friend's Acer battery. Voila! It started up no problem and has been fine ever since. The peculiar thing is that my friend's Acer started no problem on my battery!

I suggest- if you can- rebuilding your laptop. Maybe something has been slightly disconnected. It can be a list of things. Just take it apart and check if its a hardware issue. I guarantee you it is though because what could be wrong with any of the software? Like i said, just check and see if anything is disconnected or loose or anything in that nature, but if you don't want to risk anything because you may be new to computers (IDK), then ask an IT guy.
July 12, 2012 7:51:21 AM

zac14001 said:
I suggest- if you can- rebuilding your laptop. Maybe something has been slightly disconnected. It can be a list of things. Just take it apart and check if its a hardware issue. I guarantee you it is though because what could be wrong with any of the software? Like i said, just check and see if anything is disconnected or loose or anything in that nature, but if you don't want to risk anything because you may be new to computers (IDK), then ask an IT guy.

yeah that's got me thinking. Loose connection... It did cross my mind. I'll have a look see. Thanks!
m
l
July 22, 2012 12:36:30 AM

revecom said:
yeah that's got me thinking. Loose connection... It did cross my mind. I'll have a look see. Thanks!

no problem man, hey, ask questions if you need any answers.. there are some smart ppl on these forums. :D 
m
l
July 23, 2012 2:57:37 AM

OK its a loose connection for sure. I had the fault come back again and when I turned the computer on its front edge it started fine ... so I am gonna check the hard disk is properly engaged first ... then MB. Cheers!
m
l
July 23, 2012 3:05:20 AM

Best answer selected by revecom.
m
l
November 11, 2012 6:49:54 PM

zac14001 said:
no problem man, hey, ask questions if you need any answers.. there are some smart ppl on these forums. :D 

Remove your battery it should reset the bios... Leave it out for 3 minutes... Then put it back in and turn it on...
m
l
!