Worth getting new mobo for FX or i5?

Crazy_Ivan55

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hello,

I'm upgrading my PC this Christmas and I need a new CPU for a EVGA GTX 670 because I currently have a Athlon II x4 630. I was looking at the somewhat new Piledriver CPU's and for the most part people are saying that it is better than the previous Bulldozer's and even the Phenom II's. However, after getting the card my budget will be around $300-$400 depending on how much money I get, and either way I will have to get a new Mobo If i want an AMD FX or an Intel i5 CPU.

Bottom line is, should I keep the AM3 Mobo and get a Phenom II processor, get an AM3+ board and an FX, or cough up the cash for the i5 3570k+mobo and not get more RAM and new games?

I am using this computer almost entirely for gaming. The only other things I do is use Firefox, Microsoft office and rarely Photoshop.

Crazy_Ivan55

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Thanks for your help but I ended up getting an AMD FX 8320 with an ASRock Pro3 because it was on sale and It still would give me the FPS I wanted. :) As well as an XFX Radeon HD 7950 BE and I forgot to say it earlier but I already have a Corsair A70 thanks!