Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 3570k PC Build July 2012 $1500 Budget

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2012 6:05:19 AM

Hey guys, gonna be building a new computer soon. Any and all advice is welcome.

Here's a link to the parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bcgk

I'm just seeking opinions as far as compatibility, better options, etc. This PC will primarily be used for gaming and mild video editing (gameplay for youtube). I'm also having difficulty choosing between the HAF 922 case and the Corsair 650d. I'm on a budget and I'm looking for high airflow, good cable management, and smexiness. I find both cases aesthetically pleasing so I guess the first two qualities are obviously the most relevant here.

Games I'll be playing the most: Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and the Crysis series.

I'm worried the CPU will overheat. I'm not exactly an expert in technology, but I'm worried the Ivy Bridge is going to generate alot more heat than the Sandy Bridge counterpart. I'm looking to much later push this CPU to around 4.2-4.5 Ghz on the H100. Any ideas on what the temps would/should be? I want to keep them at or below 65 degrees C. Would this be reasonable?

I'm also rather frightened of the seagate barracuda drives. Are they reliable? I don't want to pay extra for a western digital drive if I don't have to.

Corsair TX750M vs HX750? Obviously the latter is better in quality, but the TX750M is cheaper. Which would be a better option for someone like me who will only be adding small upgrades over a few months or so. I intend to upgrade RAM to 16gb, add another ssd for raid 0, add a fan controller (speaking of which, suggestions?). I may add another gtx 670 in 2 way sli much later on. I also intend to add cold cathodes to my build, or, perhaps, red led strips. Any suggestions for those?

Oh, and before I forget...can someone please give me recommendations for 120mm red led case fans. I want them to put the h100 in a push/pull configuration. I'll also be mounting one on the bottom of the HAF 922 (if that's the case i end up getting).

Just a little heads up: Sadly, I do not live near a microcenter. Online vendors only, please (unless there are better deals at a Staples, Best Buy, or Walmart... although I doubt it).

July 2, 2012 10:37:24 AM

DeusAres said:

Corsair TX750M vs HX750? Obviously the latter is better in quality, but the TX750M is cheaper. Which would be a better option for someone like me who will only be adding small upgrades over a few months or so.

Too many questions :D  so allow me to answer this one first as I have to go. The TX750M should be fine. The HX750 main difference is that it has higher efficiency. If you do not plan on building, disassembling & then rebuilding your PC, you may even choose the non modular type (TX750 without the M & save a few bucks more).
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2012 3:25:56 AM

Yeah, I saw the non modular version of the tx750m was only a cent cheaper haha. so i may just go with the tx750m. any other recommendations guys? I could really use 'em. I'm researching as much as possible, but I wouldn't exactly consider myself an expert, lol.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2012 5:01:47 AM

Bump?...Any other recommendations? I'm also considering the xspc rasa rs240 cpu cooler rather than the closed loop h100. I know it would be better, but I'm having difficulty deciding as I feel as if it would be problematic having to do annual maintenance.

Best solution

a c 91 B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2012 7:54:51 PM

Quote:
I'm worried the CPU will overheat. I'm not exactly an expert in technology, but I'm worried the Ivy Bridge is going to generate alot more heat than the Sandy Bridge counterpart. I'm looking to much later push this CPU to around 4.2-4.5 Ghz on the H100. Any ideas on what the temps would/should be? I want to keep them at or below 65 degrees C. Would this be reasonable?

I have the i5-3570K and on heavy use I've never experienced any overheating issues. With the right cooler that won't be an issue. I hesitate to recommend closed water blocks like the H100 when a Noctua D14 or Phanteks TX-14 will give you the same results and it's far safer. If you set your air flow up correctly you won't run into any problems.

Quote:
Corsair TX750M vs HX750? Obviously the latter is better in quality, but the TX750M is cheaper. Which would be a better option for someone like me who will only be adding small upgrades over a few months or so. I intend to upgrade RAM to 16gb, add another ssd for raid 0, add a fan controller (speaking of which, suggestions?). I may add another gtx 670 in 2 way sli much later on. I also intend to add cold cathodes to my build, or, perhaps, red led strips. Any suggestions for those?

I believe the HX750 is manufactured by Seasonic which would make it much higher quality. The TX750 is manufactured by Delta Electronics - not as good as Seasonic but they are still better manufactured PSUs than a lot of them that you could get.

I usually don't recommend spending money on fan controllers, LEDs, and things of that nature as they're usually not essential to the build.

Quote:
I'm also rather frightened of the seagate barracuda drives. Are they reliable? I don't want to pay extra for a western digital drive if I don't have to.

I've used plenty of Seagate hard drives - never had a single problem with them.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 13, 2012 4:04:40 AM

Best answer selected by DeusAres.
!