Intel and AMD 64-bit processors and their instruction sets

5 answers Last reply
More about intel processors instruction sets
  1. Oh wow, been a while since I've looked at X86 assembly code...

Anyways, a few technical points:

X86 generally refers to the 32-bit instruction set in both AMD and Intel processors.
    X64 typically refers to the AMD-64 instruction set, which is the 64-bit instruction set that runs when the processor is set to long mode.
    Intel-64 or X86-64 typically refers to Intels failed 64-bit implementation.

Anyway, give me a bit to look at the code; I'm a bit rusty with X86 code, but I'll post again if I find anything obviously wrong.
  2. Don't see anything obviously wrong, except:

;b.-------------------------------------------------------
    mov esi, offset buffer ;Point to the buffer

I forget if X86 assembly is case sensitive or not; in either case, capitalizing OFFSET would be good practice. Don't see anything else obviously wrong at first glance; may play a bit at home over the weekend...

ASM actually isn't that hard to code, provided you understand basic program flow and think through the steps that need to be taken. I've used four or five different forms of ASM over my career, and I don't find it particularly challenging (slow and tedious, but not hard).
  3. gamerk316 said:
    Oh wow, been a while since I've looked at X86 assembly code...

Anyways, a few technical points:

X86 generally refers to the 32-bit instruction set in both AMD and Intel processors.
    X64 typically refers to the AMD-64 instruction set, which is the 64-bit instruction set that runs when the processor is set to long mode.

Anyway, give me a bit to look at the code; I'm a bit rusty with X86 code, but I'll post again if I find anything obviously wrong.

It is not case sensitive, the only errors I have had were in the PROC question 2, and it seems to display the correct color for the quadrants but the numbers are off by one quadrant in a clockwise direction. Not sure what is causing it. :pt1cable:

Thanks gamerk316 :)
  4. gamerk316 said:

The x86 in x86-64 stands for x86-64 being an extension to the x86 instruction set and that would be AMD's 64bits stuff.

IA64 is Intel's Itanium Architecture instruction set. There is no "x86" in Intel's Itanium instruction set names since they are completely unrelated to the legacy x86 instruction set..
  5. Duh, I should know that. *facepalm*
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Intel Processors