Can someone direct me as too which printer makes the best ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 6, 2005 10:59:05 PM

I don't want to geta darkroom , so i'm looking to buy at least under
1,000 on a printer that prints awlsome black and white. the biggest size
14x20 thanks

janet

More about : direct printer makes

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 10:59:06 PM

venus6152@earthlink.net wrote:
> I don't want to geta darkroom , so i'm looking to buy at least under
> 1,000 on a printer that prints awlsome black and white. the biggest size
> 14x20 thanks
>
> janet

Janet-

You might post to comp.periphs.printers with more detail as to your
input (camera, scanner, someone else's images etc,) and your computer
set up. what you want to print on.... paper, canvas, and type of either.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Two possible printers are the Epson 2400 (it's maximum width is 13", though)
or the Epson 4800 (it maximum width is 17", but it's cost is more than
$1000). The Epson are pigment based (for long life) and have three shades
of black ink for better tone gradients.

James

<venus6152@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I don't want to geta darkroom , so i'm looking to buy at least under 1,000
>on a printer that prints awlsome black and white. the biggest size 14x20
>thanks
>
> janet
August 7, 2005 1:13:22 PM

> janet writes ...
>
>looking to buy at least under 1,000 on a printer that prints
>awlsome black and white. the biggest size 14x20 thanks

There are a couple of good solutions that print up to 13x19" for under
$1,000. One is the Epson 2400, the other is one of the HP models that
has a special black cart, I dunno the model # and I'm not sure if it
goes to 13x19". You could also look at getting a cheaper printer like
the 1280 and adding the quadtone or hextone black inks, but this means
it's no longer a color printer.

To print 14x20" I'd recommend the Epson 4000 or 4800, which print
17x22" sheets or longer on rolls, but these are closer to $1,900 (for
the 4800). Most power users feel you'll get better b/w images on these
using a RIP instead of the Epson drivers but that's another several
hundred bucks.

I have a 4000 and have printed some decent black-white images on it
(without a RIP), but I've personally never seen an inkjet b/w print
that looked as good as a really well-done silver print so don't get
your hopes up too high, if you've spent much time in the darkroom.

Bill
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 5:47:43 PM

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:59:05 +0000, venus6152@earthlink.net wrote:

> I don't want to geta darkroom , so i'm looking to buy at least under 1,000
> on a printer that prints awlsome black and white. the biggest size 14x20

It's going to cost more than a 1000 (dollars?) for a printer to do that
size. And to get really good b&w prints, you're going to have to
abandon the color inks and go to quad or hextone printing using
"greyscale" inks only. (And the related software to interpolate.) Have
you considered having a digital printing service do your large prints, and
just buying a small, but good, printer for proofing the large prints? This
is what a friend of mine did a couple years ago, but for color.

He got an Epson 1280 and the software/hardware necessary to make his own
printer profiles, then calibrated his monitor and scanners, and generated
profiles on both the 1280 and each one of the printers at the lab he used.
Worked great! When he wanted to do a 16x20 (or whatever), he did the work
on his home computer, proofed it on the 1280, and if it was to his liking,
burned the image file to a CD and took it to the lab for the final output.
For all practical purposes, the prints were identical in color balance and
contrast. Of course, they were EXACTLY identical; the 8x10 proof was an
inkjet print and the final one was on real photographic paper. But his
system worked very well and he didn't have to invest $4000 to get a large
format inkjet printer to do 20x30s or 30x40s or whatever.

Stefan
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 5:50:08 PM

Thanks for info

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 6:19:01 PM

On 8/7/05 1:09 AM, in article RAhJe.200$512.133@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com,
"James Akiyama" <james_akyama@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Two possible printers are the Epson 2400 (it's maximum width is 13", though)
> or the Epson 4800 (it maximum width is 17", but it's cost is more than
> $1000). The Epson are pigment based (for long life) and have three shades
> of black ink for better tone gradients.
>
> James
>
> <venus6152@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I don't want to geta darkroom , so i'm looking to buy at least under 1,000
>> on a printer that prints awlsome black and white. the biggest size 14x20
>> thanks
>>
>> janet

I'll second the recommendations regarding the two new Epson models as being
extremely capable at producing B&W. But, the OP is not going to find _any_
printer that will do 14x20 size for under $1000! The Canon i9900 will do a
fair job on greyscale but it, like the Epson 2400, has a width limit of 13
in. The Epson 4800 will cost closer to $2000 than $1000. Over a long
period of time the extra cost of the 4800 might be recovered to a degree
because it uses much larger and more economical 110ml or 220ml ink tanks.
Chuck
August 7, 2005 6:19:02 PM

Has anyone else found out that the Canon I9900 or other series of their
printers print much better B&W prints when the paper selection is selected
to plain paper, It seems to make the Black ink the only used cartage in this
mode, no mixing colors to make B&W prints.

"C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
> On 8/7/05 1:09 AM, in article
> RAhJe.200$512.133@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com,
> "James Akiyama" <james_akyama@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>> Two possible printers are the Epson 2400 (it's maximum width is 13",
>> though)
>> or the Epson 4800 (it maximum width is 17", but it's cost is more than
>> $1000). The Epson are pigment based (for long life) and have three
>> shades
>> of black ink for better tone gradients.
>>
>> James
>>
>> <venus6152@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> I don't want to geta darkroom , so i'm looking to buy at least under
>>> 1,000
>>> on a printer that prints awlsome black and white. the biggest size 14x20
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> janet
>>

> I'll second the recommendations regarding the two new Epson models as
> being
> extremely capable at producing B&W. But, the OP is not going to find
> _any_
> printer that will do 14x20 size for under $1000! The Canon i9900 will do
> fair job on greyscale but it, like the Epson 2400, has a width limit of 13
> in. The Epson 4800 will cost closer to $2000 than $1000. Over a long
> period of time the extra cost of the 4800 might be recovered to a degree
> because it uses much larger and more economical 110ml or 220ml ink tanks.
> Chuck

August 7, 2005 10:08:41 PM

In article <RAhJe.200$512.133@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
james_akyama@prodigy.net says...

>Two possible printers are the Epson 2400 (it's maximum width is 13", though)
>or the Epson 4800 (it maximum width is 17", but it's cost is more than
>$1000). The Epson are pigment based (for long life) and have three shades
>of black ink for better tone gradients.
>
>James
>
><venus6152@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I don't want to geta darkroom , so i'm looking to buy at least under 1,000
>>on a printer that prints awlsome black and white. the biggest size 14x20
>>thanks
>>
>> janet

Yes, great reports on B/W from the earlier Epson 2000's, which can be had for
your budget, while the 2400's are just over. For your size, the 4800's (or
earlier 4000's) would be just over, with the current 4800's going for nearly
double.

Hunt
!