Best case for LOTs of Hard Drives

jgt1942

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I plan to build a new system for Win8 and one of the primary considerations for the case is a LOT of hard drives with great cooling. By lots of HD I'm looking for the max I can put in the case. I currently have a Cooler Master case which has a 10 drive capacity (4-3TB, 6-2TB) plus a CD. For me this is not enough room for all of my hard drives (I have another 15 drives setting on the shelf). Plus another issue I have with the Cooler Master is the drive cooling. My previous case was a mid-tower and had 10 hard drives crammed into it with almost no clearance between the drives plus a CD. I modified the case to add several extra 120mm fans and none of the drives had a temperature higher than 84 degrees F. With the Cooler Master I have larger fans (3-240mm, 1-140mm) on the average all of the drives are 102 degrees F. In the old case after five years I had zero drive failures, in the Cooler Master in less than 2 years I've had five drive failures. I feel that the main reason for the drive failure is the drive temp. BTW my system runs 24x7.

Suggestions would be appreciated and if you have supporting data that would also be VERY helpful.

go to newegg, do an advanced search, find one you like with a lot of bays, use 4 3.5 in 3 5.25 bays to fill the 5.25 slots. and a couple of these (or similar)
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111177

its that or get a real server, which is really what yih should do. there's no reason to be running a windows machine with that many drives. that much stuff belongs on a central server