HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB
SSD - OCZ Vertex 4 120GB
RAM - 8GB KIT 1866 (4GB x 2) G.SKILL Ripjaws-x
Case - Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
ODD - SATA DVD LG
PSU - Antec 750W 80+Bronze
OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
Wi-Fi - PCI TP-LINK N-300 WN851ND

The PC starts up and I can access the BIOS, in which I have enabled the PC to boot from the ODD which has the Windows 7 disc. I repeatedly get a message saying
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
I have also noticed the time for the screen that has the motherboard on it (Don't actually know what it's called, feel free to enlighten me) takes unusually long to disappear.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I had a similar problem booting from disk before. My system is very similar to yours as well. I ended up downloading an iso and using Microsofts boot up program on a flash drive. This allowed me to get my system going.

Here is the boot up instructions and program.
http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

You can get a legal ISO here
http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

rdc85

Honorable
U need to setup the BIOS so it will boot from other media (DVD / optical / USB / external HDD / MMC) first than hard disk later....

Insert Boot able DVD/CD/USB/MMC/etc... and install the OS to the HDD.....

edit:

The problems is there no operating system in your hdd or it had been damaged or the system partition is missing................ u will need boot able OS installation disk/MMC/USD/etc........

BlackAlbinoCow

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
thanks for the suggestions guys, and I think maybe the disk isn't spinning up in the drive. The orientation of the disk is the same coming out as it is going in... contact the store and see if I can it replaced? Or am I just and idiot and the disk finishes spinning in the same orientation? suggestions?

I have already done this, thanks for the suggestion though

I suggest you read before posting. he is trying to install windows. he set it to boot from the dvd. he inserted the windows 7 disk. there is no OS installed yet.

OP press the key for the boot menu, and select the DVD, or check the BIOS to make sure the DVD drive is showing.

Sometimes when you set it to go off the DVD in the BIOS it will say "press any key to boot from DVD" for 10 seconds or so, and skip it if you don't, instead of just booting off it. it might be doing that down at the bottom and you missed it, which would explain the pause your seeing.

no. it wouldn't. it should spin up and the light should flash even if it wasn't set to boot from. its obviously getting power or you couldn't put the disk in. it does sound like a bad drive. any chance you can borrow one out of another PC to confirm?

BlackAlbinoCow

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

There's not another one I can grab... I'll call up the store tomorrow and see if they'll be willing to take a look at it and maybe replace. And the lights are flashing in a way that would make you think its spinning up and reading the disc

bignick18

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I had a similar problem booting from disk before. My system is very similar to yours as well. I ended up downloading an iso and using Microsofts boot up program on a flash drive. This allowed me to get my system going.

Here is the boot up instructions and program.
http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

You can get a legal ISO here
http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

Solution

BlackAlbinoCow

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Thanks for the links, I'll look into it :)

rdc85

Honorable

I know that op is trying to install os, my post was just pointing another causes that can make this problem appears.. .. (since the first post about checking DVD/drive/cable already said so no need for me to repeat that again). ..

if it seems it my post may not helping, so i'm sorry no bad intention here.......

Seems the problems was the drive/disk i guess it all solved..

TRENDING THREADS