olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hi,
I am debating between which card to get of the two, a GTX 590 for 400 euros (but second hand) or a GTX 670. What would be a better choice, even though the actual price of the GTX 670 is not known? Lets say its 350 euros?
Thans!

monsta

Splendid
Go for the 670, the 590 is second hand and you dont want to be stuck with it if it has problems down the track.
The 670 also draws much less power , less heat and less noise and its also a smaller card.
The 670 has plenty of performance and you will find it easier later to add another if you wish to SLI.

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I would not base any buying decision from tweaktown reviews, that would be step one. Just be patient a few more days and when real reputable reviews are released from reviewers like [H], guru3d, Toms, which hopefully will be on the 10th as well, then check those out and then make your decision.

monsta

Splendid

Yeah I agree , what proof do you have to say they aren't reliable?

The testing they did looks legit , and they are already on sale here in Australia from 3 days ago and guys are already confirming the results.

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Well, first off it has nothing to do with if I "like" them. I'm not childish and I don't let emotional attitude sway my opinion. I'm also not the only one stating this opinion. Just look at their numbers. They're suspect to say the least. Using games that are 4 years old. Think logically why would nvidia have a card perform so close to the 680? Also if every other bench I've seen, the 7970 beats the 680, yet this is not the case in their bench.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-680-twinfrozr-iii-oc-review/18

They also leaked these early because why? They don't play nice with nVidia? Since they can't reveal their source they can't state any info on the card, how do we know that the card they benched is reference? It could be an OC model.

Believe it if you want, but they have a poor history.

-- "Originally, TweakTown broke the NDA with MSI's GeForce 8800GT"
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1024345/8800gt-scores-leak-intraweb

-- Same story with the 9800 GX2.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1351/nvidia_s_9800_gx2_the_week_that_was/index.html

-- "Galaxy cut us off at one point and threatened to sue TweakTown because we broke an NDA which we hadn’t signed or been given"
http://www.shanebaxtor.com/

Seems a bit too convenient to be able to use that story over, and over, and over again. It isn't any wonder that nVidia (and AMD for that matter) has little interest in working with that site -- clearly Shane and company want to play by their set of rules and release content in advance of any NDA dates that bind other reviewers.

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Dude, I'm not going to sit here and argue this with you. All I'm saying and I believe I said it in an appropriate manner and provided some evidence that it's SUSPECT. I didn't come out and slander them, you're the one getting kind of rude by repeatedly bringing up inappropriate remarks such as "childish logic". Don't listen to anything I have to say I don't care. But when there are plenty of quality reviewers there will most likely be some kind of heirarchy. I tend to put ones like [H], guru3d at the top, and naturally there are going to be the ones at the other end.

GTX670:
I'd simply ESTIMATE that it works 85% as well as a GTX680 and then use GTX680 benchmarks for now.

Also, apparently the 28nm process is slowly improving producing chips which can overclock better so a GTX670 in a few months may work almost as well as a GTX680 when overclocked (with a good non-reference cooler).

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Seems a bit too convenient to be able to use that story over, and over, and over again. It isn't any wonder that nVidia (and AMD for that matter) has little interest in working with that site -- clearly Shane and company want to play by their set of rules and release content in advance of any NDA dates that bind other reviewers.

Well you posted enough for me. I rely heavily on NDAs with my startup right now. If they break an NDA agreemnet with the big suppliers in the industry in front of their compeditors and in public then they will screw anyone. That means that they believe they are above everyone else and will happily publish what they want for any price.

Tweektown is out of my favorites.

monsta

Splendid

Well said , some people get upset when a card performs so well and have to make it a conspiracy theory, is it cos its from Nvidia? If it was AMD's card would you react the same way? , Just be happy about it!

monsta

Splendid

That looks like the one to get , great factory oc too!

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I was just going to say, I am planning on getting the ASUS GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 :)
The only concern I have is that it will be pretty much the exact same price as the second hand GTX 590 but perform worse (I think around 20%). Is the 670 surely a better choice?

EDIT: just saw in the review posted above about the Asus 670 that is performs just better than a GTX 680!!! :O
And it is SO quiet !! :D
Oh man, I have made my choice ;)
Just need some confirmation from you all.

monsta

Splendid
In my opinion I would personally prefer to buy a brand new card, that has a warranty.
The 590 is a fast card, but its also , power hungry , noisier, and hotter than the 670.
The 670 performs very well for its price and you can always get another if you wish to go SLI.
If you game at 1920x1200 the 670 is more than enough to play any game you throw at it.
The 670 is an excellent deal.

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Just reading another review at Guru3d, also of the Asus- seems to be a popular card. I don't understand how it is so quiet, the previous DCII cards were surely louder.
(guru review here: http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-review/)

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hmm, well I live in Belgium so the situation is a bit different :p
But nonetheless I will order as soon as I can, I can only order tomorrow at earliest though. Otherwise I will have to wait a while for it to be back in stock. I am sure in the next month I will be able to purchase it if stock somehow runs out today though? Or is stock really that low?