Sign in with
Your question

GTX 670 vs GTX 590

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2012 5:30:05 PM

Hi,
I am debating between which card to get of the two, a GTX 590 for 400 euros (but second hand) or a GTX 670. What would be a better choice, even though the actual price of the GTX 670 is not known? Lets say its 350 euros?
Thans!

More about : gtx 670 gtx 590

May 8, 2012 5:47:00 PM

GTX 670 definitely. Overclock it a bit and you should be right there in terms of 590 performance.

Only way I'd recommend the 590 is if you got a decent warranty along with the card - in that case it just depends on if you want to wait or not for your purchase.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 5:48:43 PM

please teach me how to compare a card to something that has not been released yet :p 
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 5:50:52 PM

alvine said:
please teach me how to compare a card to something that has not been released yet :p 

You go to the review that was linked at the top of the page.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 5:51:08 PM

Go for the 670, the 590 is second hand and you dont want to be stuck with it if it has problems down the track.
The 670 also draws much less power , less heat and less noise and its also a smaller card.
The 670 has plenty of performance and you will find it easier later to add another if you wish to SLI.
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 5:56:41 PM

Yea the 670 is going to be a better option, SLI it if you need more performance but if its beating the 680 in some benchmarks... the 670 is a clear choice
May 8, 2012 6:12:01 PM

Ok, thanks for the advice! Will wait for some 670's with aftermarket coolers on them ;) 
May 8, 2012 7:31:24 PM

I would not base any buying decision from tweaktown reviews, that would be step one. Just be patient a few more days and when real reputable reviews are released from reviewers like [H], guru3d, Toms, which hopefully will be on the 10th as well, then check those out and then make your decision.
May 8, 2012 7:41:06 PM

Yes, I was thinking the same thing :)  But I'm sure the GTX 670 will max out games such as BF3 on 1080p?
May 8, 2012 7:59:52 PM

rdzona said:
I would not base any buying decision from tweaktown reviews, that would be step one. Just be patient a few more days and when real reputable reviews are released from reviewers like [H], guru3d, Toms, which hopefully will be on the 10th as well, then check those out and then make your decision.

If you can show how tweaktown reviews are not trustworthy, then you should post that evidence. Otherwise, don't talk nonsense. Just because you do not *like* a site does not mean their reviews are not *reputable*.

Also @OP - I would expect the 670 to handle games like BF3 just fine.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 8:21:00 PM

olivierhacking said:
Yes, I was thinking the same thing :)  But I'm sure the GTX 670 will max out games such as BF3 on 1080p?

Yeah I agree , what proof do you have to say they aren't reliable?

The testing they did looks legit , and they are already on sale here in Australia from 3 days ago and guys are already confirming the results.

May 8, 2012 11:31:58 PM

BigMack70 said:
If you can show how tweaktown reviews are not trustworthy, then you should post that evidence. Otherwise, don't talk nonsense. Just because you do not *like* a site does not mean their reviews are not *reputable*.

Also @OP - I would expect the 670 to handle games like BF3 just fine.

Well, first off it has nothing to do with if I "like" them. I'm not childish and I don't let emotional attitude sway my opinion. I'm also not the only one stating this opinion. Just look at their numbers. They're suspect to say the least. Using games that are 4 years old. Think logically why would nvidia have a card perform so close to the 680? Also if every other bench I've seen, the 7970 beats the 680, yet this is not the case in their bench.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-680-twinf...

They also leaked these early because why? They don't play nice with nVidia? Since they can't reveal their source they can't state any info on the card, how do we know that the card they benched is reference? It could be an OC model.

Believe it if you want, but they have a poor history.

-- "Originally, TweakTown broke the NDA with MSI's GeForce 8800GT"
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1024345/8800gt...

-- Same story with the 9800 GX2.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1351/nvidia_s_9800_gx...

-- "Galaxy cut us off at one point and threatened to sue TweakTown because we broke an NDA which we hadn’t signed or been given"
http://www.shanebaxtor.com/

Seems a bit too convenient to be able to use that story over, and over, and over again. It isn't any wonder that nVidia (and AMD for that matter) has little interest in working with that site -- clearly Shane and company want to play by their set of rules and release content in advance of any NDA dates that bind other reviewers.
May 8, 2012 11:47:12 PM

So... basically what you're saying is that because they have fooled around NDAs before, and because they get (with their different test system) different results than another website, and because you don't like their own explanation for the early review, therefore their reviews are untrustworthy? Yeah that makes a LOT of sense........

Also, in both guru3d's and tweaktown's reviews the 7970 is ahead in Metro, it is just less so in the tweaktown one. But again, they're using different test platforms and it doesn't even look like they test the same segment.

You may not be swayed by childish emotions, but you seem to be being swayed by quite inadequate logic. It's fair to say "you should always read more than one review before making a purchase" but it's nonsense to say "yeah that review looks weird to me and I don't know why its there so therefore it must be untrustworthy".
May 8, 2012 11:54:12 PM

BigMack70 said:
So... basically what you're saying is that because they have fooled around NDAs before, and because they get (with their different test system) different results than another website, and because you don't like their own explanation for the early review, therefore their reviews are untrustworthy? Yeah that makes a LOT of sense........

Also, in both guru3d's and tweaktown's reviews the 7970 is ahead in Metro, it is just less so in the tweaktown one. But again, they're using different test platforms and it doesn't even look like they test the same segment.

You may not be swayed by childish emotions, but you seem to be being swayed by childish logic. It's fair to say "you should always read more than one review before making a purchase" but it's nonsense to say "yeah that review looks weird to me and I don't know why its there so therefore it must be untrustworthy".

Dude, I'm not going to sit here and argue this with you. All I'm saying and I believe I said it in an appropriate manner and provided some evidence that it's SUSPECT. I didn't come out and slander them, you're the one getting kind of rude by repeatedly bringing up inappropriate remarks such as "childish logic". Don't listen to anything I have to say I don't care. But when there are plenty of quality reviewers there will most likely be some kind of heirarchy. I tend to put ones like [H], guru3d at the top, and naturally there are going to be the ones at the other end.
a c 147 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 12:17:12 AM

GTX670:
I'd simply ESTIMATE that it works 85% as well as a GTX680 and then use GTX680 benchmarks for now.

Also, apparently the 28nm process is slowly improving producing chips which can overclock better so a GTX670 in a few months may work almost as well as a GTX680 when overclocked (with a good non-reference cooler).
May 9, 2012 12:33:47 AM

Quote:
Seems a bit too convenient to be able to use that story over, and over, and over again. It isn't any wonder that nVidia (and AMD for that matter) has little interest in working with that site -- clearly Shane and company want to play by their set of rules and release content in advance of any NDA dates that bind other reviewers.

Well you posted enough for me. I rely heavily on NDAs with my startup right now. If they break an NDA agreemnet with the big suppliers in the industry in front of their compeditors and in public then they will screw anyone. That means that they believe they are above everyone else and will happily publish what they want for any price.

Tweektown is out of my favorites.
May 9, 2012 12:54:26 AM

Tweaktown has the GTX 670 as (across all resolutions) 6% slower than the GTX 680. That's very good and not unheard of... average step down is about 10% for a second tier card so this would be just slightly better than typical. It's not hard to explain, either - they can't supply enough 680 chips to fail to sell them, so they're not gonna be competing with themselves here. This also positions the 670 well against the 7970 and places even more pressure on AMD.

Their review also fits in with other information we have starting to trickle in.

Like I said, rather or not you like tweaktown has no bearings on rather or not their 670 review is legit. Right now we have nothing to suggest that it is not, and in fact all the evidence points to the fact that it is. Unless you are a conspiracy theorist, their actions related to any NDAs have no bearing on this review's quality.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 1:03:46 AM

BigMack70 said:
Tweaktown has the GTX 670 as (across all resolutions) 6% slower than the GTX 680. That's very good and not unheard of... average step down is about 10% for a second tier card so this would be just slightly better than typical. It's not hard to explain, either - they can't supply enough 680 chips to fail to sell them, so they're not gonna be competing with themselves here. This also positions the 670 well against the 7970 and places even more pressure on AMD.

Their review also fits in with other information we have starting to trickle in.

Like I said, rather or not you like tweaktown has no bearings on rather or not their 670 review is legit. Right now we have nothing to suggest that it is not, and in fact all the evidence points to the fact that it is. Unless you are a conspiracy theorist, their actions related to any NDAs have no bearing on this review's quality.

Well said , some people get upset when a card performs so well and have to make it a conspiracy theory, is it cos its from Nvidia? If it was AMD's card would you react the same way? , Just be happy about it!
May 10, 2012 3:18:36 PM

I was just going to say, I am planning on getting the ASUS GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 :) 
The only concern I have is that it will be pretty much the exact same price as the second hand GTX 590 but perform worse (I think around 20%). Is the 670 surely a better choice?

EDIT: just saw in the review posted above about the Asus 670 that is performs just better than a GTX 680!!! :o 
And it is SO quiet !! :D 
Oh man, I have made my choice ;) 
Just need some confirmation from you all.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 3:22:37 PM

In my opinion I would personally prefer to buy a brand new card, that has a warranty.
The 590 is a fast card, but its also , power hungry , noisier, and hotter than the 670.
The 670 performs very well for its price and you can always get another if you wish to go SLI.
If you game at 1920x1200 the 670 is more than enough to play any game you throw at it.
The 670 is an excellent deal.

a c 88 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 3:27:29 PM

Guess the 670 has better thermals and doesn't heat up as much for the fans to go crazy.
May 10, 2012 3:33:17 PM

olivierhacking said:
I was just going to say, I am planning on getting the ASUS GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 :) 
The only concern I have is that it will be pretty much the exact same price as the second hand GTX 590 but perform worse (I think around 20%). Is the 670 surely a better choice?

EDIT: just saw in the review posted above about the Asus 670 that is performs just better than a GTX 680!!! :o 
And it is SO quiet !! :D 
Oh man, I have made my choice ;) 
Just need some confirmation from you all.

If you can pick up that 670, it's absolutely the better buy. Performance is gonna be much closer than 20% to the 590, and as an added bonus you don't have to worry about power/temps/noise AND you get the possibility for an easy SLI setup in the future.

As others have said - picking up a second hand card with no warranty is not a good idea. It's fine if you have no money and you're looking to pick up something dirt cheap (like a sub-$100 card), but I do not recommend it on something high end.

Just make sure you have your f5 mashing skills ready for newegg, because if not, you may be waiting a long time before you can get one of these - demand is going to be even crazier than for the 680 and I doubt supply will be any better.

My prediction: within 20 minutes of being listed on newegg, this card will join the 680 and 690 in paper tiger status. Much to the delight of ebay scalpers. :pfff: 

:edit: That card is within 7% of the 590. If you got some other 670 and OC'd it, you'd probably get the same results:
May 10, 2012 3:45:40 PM

Hmm, well I live in Belgium so the situation is a bit different :p 
But nonetheless I will order as soon as I can, I can only order tomorrow at earliest though. Otherwise I will have to wait a while for it to be back in stock. I am sure in the next month I will be able to purchase it if stock somehow runs out today though? Or is stock really that low?
May 10, 2012 3:53:47 PM

Well I dunno how it is in Europe, but stock in the US is abysmal. If you want a Kepler-based video card right now, you need to have auto-notify on pretty much all the models of card and you need to be around your computer almost all the time. I'm not watching the cards myself but from what I've heard, once cards come back in stock, you get about 15 minutes to an hour to make your purchase before they're gone.

I guess in Europe it could always be different. For example, the Lightning 7970 disappeared very quickly in the US but was available much more in Europe, so I imported one so that I didn't have to wait months.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 3:58:57 PM

Its strange because the 670 has been here for sale in Australia for almost a week already.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 4:09:47 PM

15 minutes?
May 10, 2012 4:14:05 PM

I'll actually be generous and say 1 hour - 1PM EST.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 4:23:00 PM

Hehe I bet the EVGA goes first!
May 10, 2012 5:26:22 PM

monsta said:
Hehe I bet the EVGA goes first!

Looks like the Gigabyte card won that one. It was the first to go out of stock on Newegg.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 5:29:46 PM

Jaywill said:
Looks like the Gigabyte card won that one. It was the first to go out of stock on Newegg.

Haha damn I lost!
May 10, 2012 5:35:13 PM

These price differences are very annoying for EU customers! :( 
The difference in price between a GTX 670 on newegg vs the retail price here is about US $120
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 5:43:05 PM

Here in Australia its worse
GTX 690 = $1600 - $1700
GTX 680 = $600 - $770
GTX680 4GB = $830 - $880
GTX 670 = $500 - $520
The Australian dollar is close to the US dollar by comparison.
May 10, 2012 5:50:13 PM

monsta said:
Haha damn I lost!

Hehe I wasn't surprised. The Gigabyte card is/was underpriced in my opinion, and probably the best value out of the gate. Also, the Gigabyte card got into some people's hands early, so there was a lot of discussion on that particular card ahead of the NDA being lifted. I'd imagine that thread pumped up demand for the Gigabyte card given the results people were reporting.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1253432/gigabyte-gtx-670-oc-...

I hope I won the lottery on a strong boost clock card. I'll be happy either way though I think.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 5:53:36 PM

I think you got one of the better 670's thats for sure. The clock on it is already high and I believe it will overclock really well, those coolers can expell the heat very well.
I agree that the article definately boosted the Gigabytes sales since they got to see its results.
I bet you will be really happy with it.
What are you upgrading from?
May 10, 2012 5:58:56 PM

monsta said:

What are you upgrading from?

Ready for this? I suggest you sit down. A PNY 9800 GTX+ :o 

I'm putting together a new build and haven't upgraded anything from my last build 3 years ago. Needless to say I'm pretty stoked.
May 10, 2012 6:02:04 PM

I'm upgrading from the Palit GTX 260-216 :p 

So I am sure it will be a noticeable upgrade!
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 7:12:00 PM

Whoa!
I'm shocked with both of you!
Wow .....you sure know how to wait for a great card thats for sure. :) 
Enjoy :) 
May 12, 2012 9:36:06 PM

Hmm, very strange, the Asus card hasn't been available from launchday! The reference ones are available though..
Hopefully won't take too long!
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 12, 2012 11:15:18 PM

They will definately be snatched up fast too
May 12, 2012 11:24:10 PM

http://techreport.com/articles.x/22922

look at the frametime charts. compare the 670 vs the 590 in terms of microstuttering. look at how fluid the 670 is and how all over the place the 590 is.

buy the 670 and never look back.
May 14, 2012 3:27:02 PM

OK, I need some very good advice! The non OC version of the Asus 670 but with the same cooler as the OC version has become available for purchase, whilst the OC version is still not available. The non- OC version costs 10 euros less. Do you think it will be easy for me to overclock it to the speeds of the OC version? Here are the links:

OC Version: http://azerty.nl/0-4360-517498/asus-gtx670-dc2-2gd5-gra...
Non OC Version: http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/4360/517496/a...

If I do overclock the non OC version to the speeds of the OC version, can I be 100% sure they will be the same performance?
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 4:57:59 PM

I don't have experience OCing that card/model/generation, but I'd say that you should be able to hit that OC with the stock clocks card. If you do hit it, performance will be identical. I can't see them even binning the cards for the difference of ten euros, they're probably the exact same.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 7:06:06 PM

Yes it will be easy for you to oc the non oc card to the factory overclocked cards speeds.

My EVGA GTX 670 already stomps the FTW and SOC versions with a decent oc @ stock. Still haven't found max. I would have paid $50 to get same performance just to be lazy.

Get the non OC ASUS card and easily overclock it... Simple.
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2012 10:25:17 AM

Been reading this thread and wanted to jump on the band wagon!

I was debating between the SCII and the DCIITOP for a while before calling the shot on the TOP (OC'ed version). Reason:
1. I'm a noob at OC'ing
2. Asus makes quality OC'ed products, so if they've set that OC on that particular figure, they probably have tested on higher clocks and settled for the said speed.
3. The card has its own voltage thingy, (I would never dare to mess around with voltage settings on the card because...I'm a noob!)
4. I can run the TOP version right outta the box with no need to play around to see wgat speeds work for me.

Bottom line: How much OC'ing do I require for my needs? And does the TOP version meet my needs? For me, yes! That's why I bought the TOP version (though I'm yet to receive it).
!