swilmans

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hello,
I am in need of some assistance in upgrading my graphics card and probably PSU. I have a HP Pavilion a6750f it has a 300w power supply and an open PCIe x16 slot. Im not sure what other information you need but here is what i have found.

Base processor
Phenom-9650 (A) 2.3 GHz (95W)

3600 MHz HyperTransport 3.0
Socket AM2+

Chipset
AMD 780G
Motherboard

Manufacturer: MSI
Motherboard Name: Aspen-GL8E

Power supply

300W

Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 8 GB
Maximum allowed 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) (64-bit OS)

4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-6400 MB/sec
Type

The particular game I am upgrading for has these recommended system requirements (Diablo 3)

Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz

2 GB RAM

NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 or better

Im not looking for the best new card out, just one that is sufficient to run this game smoothly.

I agree, the 7750 is a good choice, but it's not a high end card by any means, it's a pretty low end card. It will not require a new psu either.

Anything faster than that will be severely bottlenecked by your cpu, hell even a 7750 will probably be a little bottlenecked by that cpu, but it's a good choice.

The good news though is Diablo 3 is not very cpu dependent. What resolution is your monitor??

swilmans

Honorable
May 8, 2012
I looked up the specs for the 7750 and it says it need a 400w-550w psu. I dont see how my 300w psu can power that. I believe the resolution of my monitor is 1440x900.

begnme

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
A perfect solution is a Nvidia GT 440 2GB it requires a 300 watt PSU and sells for about $80. You will be able to run DIII at max everything with this card.

You could most likely, its nice to see someone who actually can connect dots and not follow advice like sheep.

I would suggest upgrading the power supply to a 450-500w antec/corsair/seasonic/PC&C... few other good manufacturers... just can't seem to remember em off the top of my head.

You could look up the specs of your current parts and see how much power they use (IE googling the processor/etc) I'd do it for you but I have to leave soon. sorry :(

rdb853

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I've acutally used several 7750s on 300 watt power supplies and they work fine. but if you want to play it safe just buy a better power supply and a better video card. actually i'd start over and buy a lot of new parts if i had what you had. cheapest option though is spending ~$110 and getting a 7750.

swilmans

Honorable
May 8, 2012
So i purchased the nvidia gt440 2gb. It only requires a 300w psu, was on sale for 75 bucks and if it doesnt perform well i can always return it. I dont understand the need to "start over" i may not know a ton about computers but im pretty confident it should perform well enough for diablo 3 which is really the only game i will be playing on my computer. If anyone can see otherwise please let me know. Ive been waiting for this game for years and do not want to install it to find it looking and running poorly.

izev

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I also just got this HP a6750f, but it has a new OS 7 instead of the vista. It also has 300 watt PSU It also has 8g mem. So, when I got it, I immediately installed a Radeon HD 6670 pcie 2.1, 1gb DDR5 gfx card. I powered it up and it (the pc) didn't recognized the card. It seemed to disable the onboard gfx chip, but didn't install the dedicated gfx card. I kept getting TnL error messages when i tried to run games. So, I took the card out and restarted the pc. Now it runs fine and am able to play SW Battlefront II, and other minimally challenging games at fairly low settings. So, what went wrong? I was able to install the drivers from the cd ok. Just need to know if this is the wrong gfx card or did i miss any steps prior to or after installing the card? Thanks. V