Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgade win 7 32 to win 7 64

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 18, 2010 10:47:08 AM

Hi

I have Windows 32 Bit - I want to upgrade to Win 64 Bit. Should i just get an upgrade pacakge or get a new win 7 64 Bit

Guide please

S.Vivek

More about : upgade win win

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2010 11:40:58 AM

First off, do you have the hardware to run 64-bit? This is not just the motherboard, cpu, etc but if you have a lot of legacy hardware that you use, you might find out that they don't have any 64-bit drivers with it and you cannot use 32-bit drivers to make it work, so those pieces will not function under 64-bit Windows.

Go here first and read over everything-> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/isv/bb190529.aspx

Next, if you find you are ready to go 64-bit and you already have a previous copy of Windows that falls under the upgrade path (XP and Vista are both allowed to be used with an Upgrade version of Windows 7), then get the upgrade version as it will be cheaper. Also, retail version of Windows 7 give you both the 32-bit and 64-bit. OEM copies only give you one or the other. Of course, this is if you want to go to Windows 7 (if you're not already running it). I'm assuming you're running XP or possibly Vista. Windows 7 (and Vista) have much better 64-bit hardware driver support than 64-bit XP.

Now, because you are going from 32-bit to 64-bit, you cannot do an in-place upgrade. You will have to use Easy Windows Transfer to backup your user profile and then do a clean install of the 64-bit version. Once you've finished installing the 64-bit version, you can then use the Easy Windows Transfer program to import your settings. You will have to reinstall all your applications, though.
January 18, 2010 11:47:24 AM

Isamuelson

I currently have windows 7 32 Bit. Current RAM limitation is somewhat bugging me with my AM3 board supporting more ram. And the available ram with 32 bit is somewhere between 2.5-2.75.

And the hardwares i use are mostly new and support 64bit.

Worst case i am thinking of loading 64 Bit in a seperate partition and load either 32 or 64 based on needs(if i want to play a 32 bit game, may just use the 32 bit)

Little confused

S.Vivek
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2010 12:17:40 PM

I would probably go with the separate partition first. That's what I did before upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.

With the Windows 7, did it come with your computer or did you purchased a copy of Windows 7? If you purchased a copy, was it OEM or retail? As I stated, when you purchase a retail copy of Windows 7 (whether it's the upgrade or full edition), you get both the 32-bit and 64-bit copies.

Definitely, with the 64-bit version of Windows, you can access more than 4 GB of memory.

With Home, you can access 16GB. With Professional and on up, it's 192 GB. As for running games that are 32-bit, I haven't had any problems. It all depends on what hardware you have.

Just to let you know, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Professional. I'm running Resident Evil 5 at 1280x1024 with all the enhancements turned on. I'm also running Dragon Age: Origins at 1280x1024 with just about all enhancements turned on. Here is my hardware setup:

AMD64 X2 4200+
ATI HD8370 w/512mb GDDR4 memory
4 gigs of PC3200 RAM
ASUS A8NE motherboard - using onboard sound and network card

I'm not doing any overclocking what-so-ever either and the games are playing just fine under the 64-bit version of Windows 7. But still, mileage will vary and I think your first step of doing a separate partition is the right way to go. That way, if things do turn out to go south, you still have the other partition to fall back on. I eventually got rid of my 32-bit partition and have been running 64-bit for about two years (first under Vista and then under Windows 7).
m
l
January 18, 2010 12:24:17 PM

I purchased an OEM pack instead of simply downloading. Hence i dont have both 32 bit and 64 Bit now. I am thinking of getting the 64 bit oem. Cost of 64 bit oem here in my place is lot cheaper than getting the retail which costs close to 200 USD.

And thanks for your quick answers. I think i have to get a 64BIT and try to sell this 32 Bit.

I wish MS just gives an option to upgrade to 64 bit without paying so much. MS kinda sucks when it comes to these kinda of upgrades. I am almost pushed to just download a copy from net and support piracy. But so far have restrained myself.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2010 12:27:49 PM

OEM is fine, although they did change the policy where home users are not allowed to use it anymore, which is different from the Vista and previous licenses. :(  It's not that they will prevent you from using it by looking at your hardware, but it's apparently now a violation of the OEM license. Still, stores are selling it.

I pre-ordered my upgrade version of Windows 7 during the special that was going on so I only payed $100 for the Professional Upgrade version of Windows 7 which gave me both 32 and 64-bit versions.
m
l
!