Sign in with
Your question

CPU freezes randomly after I installed a new video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2012 6:06:44 PM

Hi there,

I posted a few weeks ago about my problem with a new AMD Radeon HD7750. After I installed the video card my computer wouldn't boot and I had to get a replacement video card and a new power supply. Afterwards the card was working fine, this was about 2-3 weeks ago.

About 3 days ago my computer freezed, black screen, I still had a few seconds of audio after the screen turned black but then everything froze up and I had to hardboot it. The CPU started up fine and after windows vista loads up it said that there's a video hardware error message. Since then my cpu will randomly froze every few hours or so. Sometimes after I hard boot it it would only go for about 30-45 minutes before it freezes again, sometimes it would go 3-4 hours or even longer. I do notice that this happened more often when I'm running a game.

Can someone here help me? Do I have a bad HD or motherboard or maybe even an overheating problem? I regularly touch my computer case and it never feels hot.

I need help please. :( 
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2012 6:13:58 PM

First thing is to try and do a clean install of your AMD graphics drivers.
Download the latest driver from AMD for your 7750, uninstall the current driver and then install the new driver that you downloaded.
Could just be a driver issue, worth giving it a try.
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2012 6:14:07 PM

A crash dump should have been created when you received the hardware error message. Providing that information would be helpful. The other problem is that Windows Vista sucks.....
Related resources
May 8, 2012 6:20:15 PM

monsta said:
First thing is to try and do a clean install of your AMD graphics drivers.
Download the latest driver from AMD for your 7750, uninstall the current driver and then install the new driver that you downloaded.
Could just be a driver issue, worth giving it a try.

I believe I have the latest driver already but I'll try the update. As soon as I get home I'll post the crash dump.

December 19, 2012 7:29:49 PM

I was just wondering if this issue has been solved. I have exactly the same issues and am ready to return the graphics card to the shop. I did a clean install, installed the latest drivers and bios is also latest. I have no problems when I reinsert my old video card.
April 5, 2013 9:14:17 AM

insaneroot said:
I was just wondering if this issue has been solved. I have exactly the same issues and am ready to return the graphics card to the shop. I did a clean install, installed the latest drivers and bios is also latest. I have no problems when I reinsert my old video card.

i have same problem with my new asus gtx 670 so i would hear if you found a solution or if anyone else got a solution
!