I5 2500k, 45-50 Idle, 95 when running GW2

mrah

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Hi there

So, 2 months ago i assembled my Rig, everything worked fine low temps, idle 30c and perhaps 50/60 ish running GW2?

Now recently the temps have skyrocketed, while im typing this message, having only Chrome open, im at 43 degrees.

Playing Guild Wars 2/ Wow, decently demanding graphic games temps are 85+ reaching a maximum of 97.

I do play in a dusty room however i do clean out the fans.

All fans are working correctly.

Specs :

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz

RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P67A-D3-B3 (Socket 1155)
Graphics
AMD Sapphire 7850
Hard Drives
119GB M4-CT128M4SSD2 ATA Device (SSD)

I haven't overclocked my CPU and I am running the stock fan that came with the I5 2500k. The computer was build halway throughout August so i doubt the stock fan/ Thermal pase has worn out? Could it be ?

Anyhow, Im looking forward to any suggestions you guys might have. Thanks allot for reading

Solution
First do me a favor and pick up HWMonitor and check your temperatures with it. I have generally seen the best temperature with it.

With the stock cooler I have seen a number of cases where someone cleans it and one of the twist clips were not locked down come out leading to poor cooling. So check to make sure they are well seated reach into the case and pull each of the twist clips on the stock cooler straight up. If you can pull it straight up the HSF (heatsink/fan) wasn't seated well and you are going to want to re-seat it. I would use some new thermal paste when I do.

First do me a favor and pick up HWMonitor and check your temperatures with it. I have generally seen the best temperature with it.

With the stock cooler I have seen a number of cases where someone cleans it and one of the twist clips were not locked down come out leading to poor cooling. So check to make sure they are well seated reach into the case and pull each of the twist clips on the stock cooler straight up. If you can pull it straight up the HSF (heatsink/fan) wasn't seated well and you are going to want to re-seat it. I would use some new thermal paste when I do.

Solution

mrah

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Seems you were right, Thanks,two of the pins that go in weren't seated right, pulled of easily,while the top two were seated in firmly. This might of caused the over heating.

So after trying to reseat it, it seems that the plastic cover of the pins .. http://i.imgur.com/3VIMv.png are a bit bent, not that much but when i try to insert them into the holes, the plastic cover stays outside the hole and pushes into a 45 degree against the Mobo.

I guess it would be retarded to cut the plastic off as the black pins alone wont seat correctly?

Any suggestions?

mrah

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Ehm, yeah as i said the outer plastic pins aren't going in, they are colliding against the Mobo and being bent into a 45 degree angle . Please dont tell me i'd have to replace my fan due to this ;/

If the money is really short right now. Here is what you can do. Start by pulling the twist clip back so the black part isn't seen. Then take a pair of needle noise pliers and pinch the outer part (white) of the twist clip so they can go through the board. Then push the twist clip down and lock in place.

You are still going to want to pick up a good 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + which is only $20 after rebate at Newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065