Sign in with
Your question

Power supply won't turn on after pressing the power button on PC

Last response: in Components
November 9, 2012 6:57:04 PM

Hi all!

Has anyone out there come accross the same problem I have, which I will explain., When pressing the power button on my PC, the system doesn't power on.

Having tested the relatively new power supply, by use of the traditional method, for which I have know for many years, by shortening the green cable and a ground cable, the device powers up, with spinning fan, and all voltages through every peripheral/ATX/PCI-e connectors, showing correctly.

What can be wrong? - Baring in mind that I have tested and re-tested the very same power supply to 4 different computers and 4 different 100% compatible motherboards, both with ATX 20/24 pin connectors.

Is there any logic to this problem? - Does anyone out there have a valid logical explanation? - For your information, I have also shortened the 2 power pins on each of the 4 motherboards so as to send a signal to the power supply, and that it powers up, but nothing!

If it helps, the power supply in question is the LC Power Hyperion LC8700 semi-modular PSU.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!
a b ) Power supply
November 9, 2012 7:05:02 PM

Yes, The PSU might not work under load. Can't you RMA it?
November 9, 2012 7:05:30 PM

So the PSU won't turn on by regular means on your pc while is clearly working, have you checked if is not the case button ? or maybe the plug that goes into the Motherboard ? maybe the problem is with the Motherboard.

What's your system ? maybe is too much load for the PSU as well.
Related resources
November 9, 2012 7:19:42 PM

Well, I have also tested the PSU in 4 different ATX cases/chassis, with 4 different power-on switches, and to my suprise, the PSU STILL doesn't power up., Baring in mind that all 4 testing PC's have minimum peripherals installed in it, 1 x optical drive, 1 x HDD, 1 x video card, 1 x case fan, 1 PC with sound card, and the remaining ones without., And the most important of all, ALL 4 PC's & peripherals are working fine, most of which with relatively new components.

Now, all of these peripherals, turned on, including of course, RAM, CPU & mobo will consume less than 350W, the power supply in question has a peak wattage of 700 and 4 x +12V DC 18A rails.,

And thats why I cannot see the logic to this particular PSU problem, my first rare problem in history!

November 9, 2012 7:21:07 PM

alexoiu said:
Yes, The PSU might not work under load. Can't you RMA it?

- I'm afraid not. :-(
a b ) Power supply
November 9, 2012 7:22:00 PM

When testing with the paper clip, have you connected a fan to the PSU's molex?
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 9, 2012 7:39:13 PM

I might have suggested that the case pwr button was defective, or that you connected it to the wrong pins on the motherboard.
You can eliminate that as a source of the problem by momentarily touching the two PWR pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver.

If it still does not start your motherboard, or 4 others, the only conclusion is that the psu is defective.
It is not a brand I have heard of, and if it is a poor quality unit, I would have no regrets getting rid of it.
A cheap psu can not only fail, but damage anything it is connected to also.
Look for a tier 1-2 unit on this list if you can:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
November 9, 2012 8:24:00 PM

geofelt said:
I might have suggested that the case pwr button was defective, or that you connected it to the wrong pins on the motherboard.
You can eliminate that as a source of the problem by momentarily touching the two PWR pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver.

If it still does not start your motherboard, or 4 others, the only conclusion is that the psu is defective.
It is not a brand I have heard of, and if it is a poor quality unit, I would have no regrets getting rid of it.
A cheap psu can not only fail, but damage anything it is connected to also.
Look for a tier 1-2 unit on this list if you can:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

LC Power have good quality, sturdy, semi-professional, quality-price power supplies., The PSU in question was not a cheap one. It will be a real shame to bin it, when really, it works! - Although you have to 'jump-start' it manually., I did connect a case fan to it, and powered up fine, no problem. I would think the issue may be with the ATX connector or perhaps where it is connected to, inside the PSU.

a c 137 ) Power supply
November 9, 2012 8:35:24 PM

wizzkidpro said:
LC Power have good quality, sturdy, semi-professional, quality-price power supplies., The PSU in question was not a cheap one. It will be a real shame to bin it, when really, it works! - Although you have to 'jump-start' it manually., I did connect a case fan to it, and powered up fine, no problem. I would think the issue may be with the ATX connector or perhaps where it is connected to, inside the PSU.

If the issue is with the ATX connector or whatever, it still does not work, and unless you can have it repaired, it is still useless.
Perhaps you can contact customer support for the psu.
A high quality manufacturer should be able to help you or repair the unit.
Sometimes, they will extend the warranty if you ask nicely.
!