A strange device showed up on my computer

graceduprie

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Yesterday a strange device with the name Naomi showed up on my computer. Because I was very busy it did not register. However now I am worried that my computer has been hacked into. what can I do? Should I worry about identity theft or something like that?

What do you mean by "device"? A device is a peice of hardware, how do you know it's named Naomi? Maybe you mean something else? Need some more details here. Where on the computer did this thing show up? Are you talking about in Network Neighborhood? Are you behind a router or connected directly to the modem? If you don't have a router, get one, will help keep your PC secure.

de·vice [ di vss ]
tool or machine: a tool or machine designed to perform a particular task or function

ploy: a way of achieving something, especially a clever or dishonest way

explosive object: a bomb or something that causes an explosion or fire

Synonyms: machine, tool, piece of equipment, mechanism, apparatus, appliance, gadget,

graceduprie

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

'It showed up in MY COMPUTER and looked (I did not look closely because I was so busy -STUPID I know! But it seemed to be something like an USB device and the name that showed was Naomi.

I use a Netgear WGR614 v8 router.'

graceduprie

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
'It showed up in MY COMPUTER and looked (I did not look closely because I was so busy -STUPID I know! But it seemed to be something like an USB device and the name that showed was Naomi.

I use a Netgear WGR614 v8 router.'