Sign in with
Your question

New card for old computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2012 7:09:20 PM

Hi, I am looking to purchase a new graphics card for my computer and I don't really know anything about these things so I have a question. My main concern is that my graphics card won't be hindered by my processor. I am currently running on an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500. I just want to make sure whatever card I get will work with that. Would a 7850 be too much for my processor to handle? If so what's the best card I should get?

More about : card computer

May 8, 2012 9:34:07 PM

The 7850 will most propably be bottlenecked.

I think the intel hd 6870 would work fine with the duo E8500
m
l
May 8, 2012 9:48:32 PM

Excellent, thank you.

Also I have a 750w power supply but I know its a complete piece of garbage (came stock with an IBuyPower machine). I'd like to replace it as well but I feel like that would be rather difficult for someone like me who has no clue what I am doing.
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 10:01:33 PM

iBuyPower should be OK, they are not that bad of a PC maker, eMachines I'd worry about though hehe. Even a cheap 750 watter should be OK for just about any single card.
m
l
May 8, 2012 10:08:51 PM

Yeah I'd say they're not bad I just know they are notorious for having terrible standard power supplies. That was the biggest mistake I made when I got this computer, not to get a good power supply. I already had to send my computer in for RMA because the computer became unusable because of the power supply. Pretty sure it damaged my graphics card as well.

I just want to make sure that won't be a problem with a new graphics card.
m
l
!