Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 550 ti problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2012 7:30:00 PM

Hello, I'm probably new to this..I've recently upgraded my gpu from geforce 9500 gt to nvidia gtx 550 ti...I've uninstalled the drivers and install the new card..the card came with wire that has to connect to gpu and power supply,,,one to the gpu and two others for psu..unfortunately my psu has only one connector left...I've connected that to one of the gpu's connectors and used. There was a significant drop of performance by this gpu when compared to my older 9500gt.I thought the it was a power supply issue and purchased a 'y' connector and connected bothe the wire ends to the gpu...However it is still underperforming...Whats the issue?? I do not understand...pls pls pls help me out

More about : gtx 550 problem

May 8, 2012 7:32:43 PM

praveen77 said:
Hello, I'm probably new to this..I've recently upgraded my gpu from geforce 9500 gt to nvidia gtx 550 ti...I've uninstalled the drivers and install the new card..the card came with wire that has to connect to gpu and power supply,,,one to the gpu and two others for psu..unfortunately my psu has only one connector left...I've connected that to one of the gpu's connectors and used. There was a significant drop of performance by this gpu when compared to my older 9500gt.I thought the it was a power supply issue and purchased a 'y' connector and connected bothe the wire ends to the gpu...However it is still underperforming...Whats the issue?? I do not understand...pls pls pls help me out

and my system specs are__
intel core 2 duo E7500 2.93 ghz
2 gb ddr2 ram
Gtx 550 ti 1 gb ddr5
450w psu
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 8, 2012 7:36:40 PM

what is your PSU, probably you are using a PSU that can't handle the graphics card power usage, and so it is working underpowered.

You must buy a good PSU, i recommend you something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Using a GPU with a bad PSU will cause the gpu to run at very bad performance and soon will probably kill your GPU.

if your psu don't have pci 6+2 pins it certainly is very weak and it is the cause of the low performance.
m
l
!