Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Stock Voltage

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
November 9, 2012 8:55:35 PM

Hey there, was helping someone out with a issue and since I needed a printscreen of my temperatures from HWmonitor I realized my voltage for the CPU was set to 1.4 volts at max (3.2ghz, I have cool'n quiet so it does go low when idling). Anyways I was wondering if I should decrease the voltage to 1.35 which appears to be the normal for stock clocks on this CPU, and also how much of a temperature difference would I expect? Below is a picture of my voltage in HWmonitor.

Edit: some more info, I am running it with an Antec Kuhler 620 so temperatures are not an issue. I just wanted to see if I can lower it a bit so I can save a few watts on my power supply. Currently running a crapper master 500 watt power supply that was bundled with a case, my original Antec VP-450 gave up a while ago and my new power supply is still in transit.

Full Computer Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2 ghz (will overclock back to 4 ghz with new power supply, this is the stock clock)
Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3 1333mhz Ram 2x4gb sticks
Asus M5A78L-M LX Plus
Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM Hard drive 750 GB
Asus HD 7770 (currently removed due to uncertainity of safety of my current power supply)
Cooler Master 500 watt power supply. (not even listed on website :lol: )
a c 78 à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
November 9, 2012 11:44:02 PM

I make it a point to undervolt whenever possible.

I know going from 1.344 to 1.425 added 3-5 degrees Celsius for my X6 when I was trying to find its upper limit. (I only picked up about 100Mhz and decided it wasn't worth it. )
Score
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
November 9, 2012 11:47:25 PM

Interesting, well at 1.4 volts should I just overclock it without modifying the voltage? The temperatures are fine now as they do idle quite good and at load it never passes 50 degrees on prime 95 after 1-2 hours. Increasing the clock speeds without changing voltages won't increase temperature right?

Edit: Just wanted to say thanks for answering! Thought no one would answer since this is kind of a specific question.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
November 9, 2012 11:50:23 PM

Best answer selected by socialfox.
Score

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
November 9, 2012 11:50:28 PM

Increasing speed will generate a little more heat but not as much as increasing voltage.

Remember, the motherboard will automatically increase voltage as you increase frequency. So it's up to you to bring the voltage down after you increase the frequency.
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
November 9, 2012 11:51:17 PM

Alritey thanks a lot for your help friend. Much appreciated :) 
Score
!