Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mass Effect 2 Artifacts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2012 8:47:02 PM

I've been experiencing strange artifacts in Mass Effect 2 cutscenes. Most noticeable are the parts that involve human faces or the helmet. It happened with Catalyst 12.3 and 12.4. I've tried underclocking my Graphics memory, decreasing the detail levels in Catalyst, re-flashing the original HD6950 BIOS instead of the unlocked one, and decreasing game detail levels to no avail.I haven't encountered any problems with other games. I've never faced this problem with my HD4870. I've uploaded a youtube video explaining the issue. Just focus on Shepard's helmet. It might seem trivial to most of you but I want to know the reason for this weird issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLgnIUo96xc

More about : mass effect artifacts

a c 253 U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 9:34:59 PM

Do you have AF or AA enabled? You can shut those off to see if there is any difference.
m
l
May 8, 2012 11:09:00 PM

Unfortunately, I tried that and it made no difference at all

P.S. I notice that the PSU whines in some scenes. To verify that the PSU isn't the problem, I ran 3D Mark Vantage's Perlin Noise loop, FurMark, 3D Mark 11, and had nothing like what I'm experiencing in ME2. The PSU whine was only noticed in the Dynamic camera mode in FurMark and during the loading screens of 3D Mark Vantage's. tests (only for a few seconds during loading). I ran DAO and experienced no issues

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 11:12:09 PM

What temps do you hit in ME2?

Have you uninstalled and then re-installed ME2?
m
l

Best solution

a c 203 U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 11:51:13 PM

have you read and tried some of there tweeks??
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/106/index/20603...
one of the tweeks is to use shaders 3.0 instead of the older 2.0 engin. there also new texture maps that you can load that are higher fill then the older one.
May 9, 2012 12:27:14 AM

More than likely the drivers.

I actually had the same problem with ME2 like a week or so before ME3 came out. For some reason I didn't finish the game and missed some DLC so I played it to completion.

But again I had the same problem with a certain set of drivers and different ones did the trick.

In all honesty check other forums and google it. That is what I did. Not sure how I fixed it but it was a driver issue if I'm not mistaken with AMD.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:29:01 AM

that's driver failed from amd in 12.4, i have hd 3650 and when i tried update my driver it gave me artifact every game i tried and many people having same problem as well, your only option is to revert back to 12.3 driver to fix the issue
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 12:33:30 AM

borden5 said:
that's driver failed from amd in 12.4, i have hd 3650 and when i tried update my driver it gave me artifact every game i tried and many people having same problem as well, your only option is to revert back to 12.3 driver to fix the issue

The problem is that he has already used both 12.4 AND 12.3.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:40:05 AM

trapper said:
The problem is that he has already used both 12.4 AND 12.3.

my fail reading :??: 
@op: do you experience this in any other game you played or it's just this one ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 12:45:53 AM

borden5 said:
my fail reading :??: 
@op: do you experience this in any other game you played or it's just this one ?

He answered that one to: "I haven't encountered any problems with other games." haha. Thats what has me stumped: 12.3 and 12.4 not working, and its only in ME2 cut scenes...very odd.

One other thing I can think of is to try vsync.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:59:59 AM

trapper said:
He answered that one to: "I haven't encountered any problems with other games." haha. Thats what has me stumped: 12.3 and 12.4 not working, and its only in ME2 cut scenes...very odd.

One other thing I can think of is to try vsync.

ok i have the right to remain silence :whistle: 
m
l
May 9, 2012 1:02:06 AM

your frame rate is exceeding your monitor's refresh rate. turn on vertical sync in the game giving you problems.
m
l
May 9, 2012 2:18:11 AM

Not nearly close to the temps hit when using FurMark. Will Try Reinstalling.

Update: @smorizio: I tried using the Modding tool. That improved the game visuals but didn't solve my problem. What I began noiticing in other games as well is that the a few textures take a fraction of a second to load in some instances. That didn't happen with the 4870 nor did it happen with the 6970 so,I will also try Uninstalling the drivers, using driver sweeper and then install Catalyst 12.3 and let's see what will happen. I've also recently upgraded my RAM to 8GB G.Skill RipJaws X, could this be causing problems?
m
l
May 9, 2012 5:07:31 PM

I reinstalled the game and then uninstalled the display drivers completely, used driver sweeper, and reinstalled version 12.3. But the issue remains the same. I even tried installing the game on my older computer, running Catalyst 11.9 on my HD 4870 and experienced the same issue. I'll try installing the drivers that were released two months after the 6950s were introduced and see what happens. Vsync had no effect on the situation. Strangely enough, the original ME ran flawlessly
m
l
May 9, 2012 9:29:12 PM

Unfortunately, I've reverted back to Catalyst 11.3 and the issue is unresolved. Will try an older version on my HD 4870. But I guess I'll have to live with the issue on my 6950.
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:11:08 AM

Well, I guess I've tried everything I can think of and still the issue is ongoing. Guess I'll have to live with it, then
m
l
May 10, 2012 4:47:04 PM

Best answer selected by youssef 2010.
m
l
!