First Time Gaming PC Looking For Guidance

Hello,

I am looking to build my first PC and want it to be fairly capable of most everyday tasks but primarily gaming. No video or sound editing etc.

I live in the UK and at the moment planning on using novatech for my parts. If this is not a good idea then please give me your recommendations!

Here is a screenshot of my shopping basket.

My main concerns are:

Is everything compatible?

For gaming I believe I may get away with 4GB RAM but I have went for 8GB since its not too expensive, is this wasteful?

Is the graphics card okay? I plan on playing Diablo3 and more games? I dont mind upgrading in a couple years but hopefully this will do for now?

Is the processor sufficent?

Is the motherboard okay?

What parts should I swap? Am I paying too much or too little for anything?

Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about first time gaming guidance
  1. 1. Yes.

2. You can but I'd get 8GB just to be on the safe side. Anything above 8GB RAM is wasteful on a gaming build.

3. A Radeon 6850 / 6870 will be a far better choice in the price range than a GTX 550 will.

4. Yeah but I'd put a bit more into upgrading your motherboard. You sacrifice a lot of features by going B75 - go with an H77 instead.

5. I'd definitely look at swapping the motherboard for an H77, and I think you're paying too little for the GPU and the case. I'd put a bit more into both of those. The 550W PSU is fine as long as you're not looking to add a second GPU later on. That hard drive is also really slow and it will bottleneck your system - if you're using a mechanical HD go with a 7200 RPM one.
  2. Okay thanks for the feedback! I have had to spend a little more but I have took your ideas on board. Here is the new list:

Stuck with the case because I think it should manage but any further feedback would be good.
  3. Blairo said:
    Okay thanks for the feedback! I have had to spend a little more but I have took your ideas on board. Here is the new list:

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m513/Blairo28/Parts2.jpg

Stuck with the case because I think it should manage but any further feedback would be good.

That looks way better - but go with a full ATX board instead of mATX - you won't lose any expansion that way.
  4. g-unit1111 said:
    That looks way better - but go with a full ATX board instead of mATX - you won't lose any expansion that way.

expansion for what?

He doesn't need a network card, sound card, or any other cards except the video, which he has. MAYBE a wireless card, but he has a slot for that in the micro atx. He's not going to crossfire/SLI
  5. ScrewySqrl said:
    expansion for what?

He doesn't need a network card, sound card, or any other cards except the video, which he has. MAYBE a wireless card, but he has a slot for that in the micro atx. He's not going to crossfire/SLI

You also lose RAM slots and SATA ports - if you want to add things like SSDs or upgrade your RAM, you're pretty much SOL.
  6. 6 SATA ports is *PLENTY*
  7. Yeah I don't think I will need any extras added in. Thanks a lot for the help though! I'm pretty much ready to buy just hoping it all fits together easily enough. Knowing my luck it will be a disaster but fingers crossed.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product