First Time Gaming PC Looking For Guidance

Blairo

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Hello,

I am looking to build my first PC and want it to be fairly capable of most everyday tasks but primarily gaming. No video or sound editing etc.

I live in the UK and at the moment planning on using novatech for my parts. If this is not a good idea then please give me your recommendations!

Here is a screenshot of my shopping basket.

Parts.jpg

My main concerns are:

Is everything compatible?

For gaming I believe I may get away with 4GB RAM but I have went for 8GB since its not too expensive, is this wasteful?

Is the graphics card okay? I plan on playing Diablo3 and more games? I dont mind upgrading in a couple years but hopefully this will do for now?

Is the processor sufficent?

Is the motherboard okay?

What parts should I swap? Am I paying too much or too little for anything?

Thanks!

g-unit1111

Titan
1. Yes.

2. You can but I'd get 8GB just to be on the safe side. Anything above 8GB RAM is wasteful on a gaming build.

3. A Radeon 6850 / 6870 will be a far better choice in the price range than a GTX 550 will.

4. Yeah but I'd put a bit more into upgrading your motherboard. You sacrifice a lot of features by going B75 - go with an H77 instead.

5. I'd definitely look at swapping the motherboard for an H77, and I think you're paying too little for the GPU and the case. I'd put a bit more into both of those. The 550W PSU is fine as long as you're not looking to add a second GPU later on. That hard drive is also really slow and it will bottleneck your system - if you're using a mechanical HD go with a 7200 RPM one.

Blairo

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Okay thanks for the feedback! I have had to spend a little more but I have took your ideas on board. Here is the new list:

Parts2.jpg

Stuck with the case because I think it should manage but any further feedback would be good.

expansion for what?

He doesn't need a network card, sound card, or any other cards except the video, which he has. MAYBE a wireless card, but he has a slot for that in the micro atx. He's not going to crossfire/SLI

g-unit1111

Titan

You also lose RAM slots and SATA ports - if you want to add things like SSDs or upgrade your RAM, you're pretty much SOL.

Blairo

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Yeah I don't think I will need any extras added in. Thanks a lot for the help though! I'm pretty much ready to buy just hoping it all fits together easily enough. Knowing my luck it will be a disaster but fingers crossed.