ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Alright so Im getting Guild wars 2 when it comes out and I'm wanting to run it at max settings 1920x1080 with a stable frame rate so my question is should I upgrade my cpu or gpu?

CPU-FX-4100 [3.6] GHZ not overcloaked but Ive read where people have OC'ed it to 4.0 GHZ and higher
GPU-AMD 6670 this is where I think I should upgrade but im asking for you opinions.

If I need to upgrade my CPU any ideas? like to stay under $250. My GPU im looking at getting either a AMD 7850 or 7870 havent made up my mind yet both ive read run cool and have alot of OC headroom.

btw I have a 650 watt Power supply :) so any thoughts or suggestions would be great :) thank you!

Solution
The bottom line is that Intel CPUs are much better than AMDs in gaming, if you want to achieve the maximum FPS in games. Yes try to sell your stuff and get the mentioned above, then you'll need to get a new GPU.

Or if you don't care about a punch of FPS more with Intel CPUs just stick with your current CPU it's great anyway and get the high end graphics.
The difference between intel CPUs and AMD's shown below, only in CPU Intensive Games
Only SKyrim, WOW benefit too much from a high end CPU.
skyrim%201920.png

wow%201920.png

batman%201920.png

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
If anyone could suggest a CPU and GPU to get that would be under $450 total would be great that would get the job done for GW2 and the above mentioned settings :)

No, the CPU wouldn't be a bottleneck for your mentioned game. AMD CPUs are much slower than Intel's in CPU intensive games such as Skyrim and WOW, anything else is GPU independent.

For $250 you can get HD 7850, very powerful and will almost max any game out @ ultra 1080P

If you'll swap the CPU, get the core i5 2500K but you'll need an Intel Mobo.

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
I'm also Playing Tera Online atm which if you have looked at it is a very pretty game and for most part my FPS at almost max settings I do have shadows turned off though they were hurting my FPS but other then that my FPS are pretty solid only on really large pulls in groups will my fps drop down alot.

Multiplayer and Online games depends more on CPU, If so you'll definitely need the i5 2500K but you'll need a new MOBO for it like i linked above.

The bottom line is that Intel CPUs are much better than AMDs in gaming, if you want to achieve the maximum FPS in games. Yes try to sell your stuff and get the mentioned above, then you'll need to get a new GPU.

Or if you don't care about a punch of FPS more with Intel CPUs just stick with your current CPU it's great anyway and get the high end graphics.
The difference between intel CPUs and AMD's shown below, only in CPU Intensive Games
Only SKyrim, WOW benefit too much from a high end CPU.
skyrim%201920.png

wow%201920.png

batman%201920.png

Solution

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Alright thanks alot guys Especially you ilysaml. I think ill go with your 1st suggestion stick with my CPU OC it and gets a 7850 and over time upgrade my CPU and mobo just cant afford to do a complete overhaul atm lol but thank you all again :) anymore suggestions are still very welcomed :)

TRENDING THREADS