Sign in with
Your question

Sony VGN-FS215S Compatible Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2012 9:07:13 PM

Hello to everyone,

I would like to change the graphics card in this laptop, but I don't know what to look out for in determining one that will be compatible with my system.

Could someone help me on this?

Thanks a lot!
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 9:49:44 PM

Most laptops do not support upgrades past ram, or sometimes the CPU. In your case you won't be able to get a new graphics card for that laptop.

If the current card is dead you'll need to plug your hard drive into a nother PC/laptop to get the data off.

If the current card is working, but you want a faster PC you'll need to start looking around for a new computer.
May 9, 2012 12:38:47 PM

Thank you for your answer, trapper.

I have been searching on the web for days now before posting here. Even in nVidia's site there is not much information about the card already installed in this laptop.

Would you mind telling why it is that the card is not replaceable?

Is it because the laptop is too old for a compatible card to exist or, perhaps, is it because it is on-board and the upgrade would be too difficult?

Thanks again!
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 1:54:18 PM

Basically laptops have a one piece motherboard with a build in video card, sound card, etc. More and more laptops have a separate card for video that plugs into the motherboard like a normal PC, but these are usually the higher end laptops. And because most laptop motherboards are configured to fit a specific laptop casing you'll be unlikely to find a compatible motherboard with different specs, and even if you can the pricing won't generally be worth what you're getting.
!