Rookie Hunter needs pet clarification

Hi all,
I'm a Orc Hunter lvl 33, and I'm fighting with the same pet for month now, a
lion from the barrens? It has the same level as me.

I am wondering if it is really important to have other pets available. And
if yes, what could be the perfect ones complment of my lion. I'm in Azeroth
, having fun between Arathi and Hillsbrad

Thx

alex

"lagr" <la.gr@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm a Orc Hunter lvl 33, and I'm fighting with the same pet for month now,
> a lion from the barrens? It has the same level as me.
>
> I am wondering if it is really important to have other pets available. And
> if yes, what could be the perfect ones complment of my lion. I'm in
> Azeroth , having fun between Arathi and Hillsbrad
>
> Thx

Other pets have other skills, Bite, dash etc. When you tame a pet with that
skill, you'll learn it after a little while with the new pet. Once 'you'
learn it, it's then available to be trained to any other pet, assuming
enough training points. Also some pets have a different balance in Armour /
DPS. Cat's have high dps, low armour. Wolves medium in both, and turtles are
high armour low dps, as examples. Choose a pet for the situation.

Alex

Some people have more than one pet. One for solo and one for
instances. Solo pets are typically cats because of their dps. Some
people think cats die too quickly so they favor a wolf, turtle or
bear. It is really a matter of preference.

I personally have never been able to work the two pet scheme out.
Seemed like one of my pets was always left behind (level wise) and I
did not want to grind just to level a pet.

bm

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004

"lagr" <la.gr@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm a Orc Hunter lvl 33, and I'm fighting with the same pet for month now,
> a lion from the barrens? It has the same level as me.
>
> I am wondering if it is really important to have other pets available. And
> if yes, what could be the perfect ones complment of my lion. I'm in
> Azeroth , having fun between Arathi and Hillsbrad
>
> Thx

I thik I kept my boar from level 10 until I was about 32. Served me well.
Went and got a tiger due to higher attack speed (higher chance of
interrupt). Not noticed a huge difference to be honest, except tigers can
claw. The boar couldnt.

"lagr" <la.gr@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm a Orc Hunter lvl 33, and I'm fighting with the same pet for month now,
> lion from the barrens? It has the same level as me.
>
> I am wondering if it is really important to have other pets available. And
> if yes, what could be the perfect ones complment of my lion. I'm in
Azeroth
> , having fun between Arathi and Hillsbrad
>
> Thx

Here is a good site to learn about pets.
http://tkasomething.com/

In hillsbrad area there are cats with 1.20 attack speed.
I use a fast attack speed cat for when I am going against casters and a
bear( High HP) for melee mobs.
Not that you can switch on the fly but if I am at stables and know what I am
up against.
I may look for a beast with a shell for high armour and with a fast attack
speed.

Cats and bears can use all abilities including dash and dive.

> Some people have more than one pet. One for solo and one for
> instances. Solo pets are typically cats because of their dps. Some
> people think cats die too quickly so they favor a wolf, turtle or
> bear. It is really a matter of preference.
>
> I personally have never been able to work the two pet scheme out.
> Seemed like one of my pets was always left behind (level wise) and I
> did not want to grind just to level a pet.

Thx for that. Another question, if I'm lvl 33, can I have a pet that is 4 or
5 lvls greater than me ?

>> Some people have more than one pet. One for solo and one for
>> instances. Solo pets are typically cats because of their dps. Some
>> people think cats die too quickly so they favor a wolf, turtle or
>> bear. It is really a matter of preference.
>>
>> I personally have never been able to work the two pet scheme out.
>> Seemed like one of my pets was always left behind (level wise) and I
>> did not want to grind just to level a pet.
>

> Thx for that. Another question, if I'm lvl 33, can I have a pet that is 4
> or 5 lvls greater than me ?
You can't train anything higher than you. I think it must be at most your
level, if not lower

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Don Sly" <tdNOslySPAM@PLEASEsasktel.net> wrote in news:1189on1j6hrnmf0
@corp.supernews.com:

> Cats and bears can use all abilities including dash and dive.

Unless you have a flying cat or bear (shudders), they can't use dive.

"lagr" <la.gr@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm a Orc Hunter lvl 33, and I'm fighting with the same pet for month now,
> lion from the barrens? It has the same level as me.
>
> I am wondering if it is really important to have other pets available. And
> if yes, what could be the perfect ones complment of my lion. I'm in
Azeroth
> , having fun between Arathi and Hillsbrad
>
> Thx

One of the most fun pets to tame is the snake. Just be careful not to do it
too often or you will go blind.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 16:29:01 +0200, "lagr" <la.gr@free.fr> scribed into the
ether:

>Hi all,
>I'm a Orc Hunter lvl 33, and I'm fighting with the same pet for month now, a
>lion from the barrens? It has the same level as me.
>
>I am wondering if it is really important to have other pets available.

No. You can be perfectly fine with any pet. What you *do* need to do,
however, is to make sure that you tame up temporary pets while you level up
so that you can teach your main pet new (higher damage) versions of the
Bite and Claw skills. Growl you pick up from the trainer, but everything
else has to be earned out in the wild by picking up new pets and learning
from them. After you learn the ability, dump the temp pet, and grab your
real pet out of storage.

On Sat, 14 May 2005 00:58:45 GMT, Matt Frisch wrote:

> No. You can be perfectly fine with any pet.

Well. A gorilla, for instance, is more robust and durable than a cat,
though the cat does slightly more damage. So the choice of pet does depend
a bit on what the pet's task is supposed to be. Bears and gorillas make
better tanks than dps-pets such as the cats.

M.
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/

"lagr" <la.gr@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm a Orc Hunter lvl 33, and I'm fighting with the same pet for month now,
> a lion from the barrens? It has the same level as me.
>
> I am wondering if it is really important to have other pets available. And
> if yes, what could be the perfect ones complment of my lion. I'm in
> Azeroth , having fun between Arathi and Hillsbrad
>
> Thx

At level 37 look for Broken Tooth, a level 37 Mountain Lion in the Badlands
with an attack speed of 1.0. That is the fastest attack speed of pets
currently in the game. Other than the need to raise his Loyalty Level to
Best Friend you lose nothing statistically by changing to this cat and you
gain an increased attack speed. Cats can learn Bite, Growl, Claw, Cower and
Dash, which effectively is all the learnable skills (since Dash and Dive are
the same approach speed skill, Dash for land creatures and Dive for flying
creatures).

You will probably use the second stable space to tame creatures that raise
your skill levels. The "Good Intentions a WoW Guild" site has an excellent
list of which creatures have which skills.

Later, when you purchase your third stable spot I would recommend getting a
beefier pet such as a bear as a second pet. With the upcoming pet skills
that have been suggested by the devs it will be likely you'll want to train
a defensive tanking pet and an offensive dps pet. Bears fill the first bill
nicely (med armor and high hitpoints) and cats the second (high dps).
Incidentally bears cannot learn Dash (neither can raptors).

Hope that Helps and Happy Hunting! :)

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

> Incidentally bears cannot learn Dash (neither can raptors).

Yeah, on that. Am I the only person driven crazy by some of the limitations?

Some of them, obviously, make sense. I am personally fond of my wolf, having
used cats for most of my hunting career (I rather like the wolf's balance).
I am completely willing to accept the logic behind not giving wolves, say,
dive, as they don't FLY....or even claw, because while wolves HAVE claws,
the idea of a wolf trying to use their claws for any real damage is kind of
funny.

I have a hard time wrapping my brain around why a wolf cannot eat fish.

I also have a hard time wrapping my brain around a raptor not being able to
dash. Bears I can understand...they're more of a slow, powerful animal
(though pretty fast when motivated, like most animals).

But a raptor? Take ONE look at those legs and tell me this thing wouldn't be
able to dash. I dare ya.

-[Blayde]-

On Sat, 14 May 2005 05:17:36 +0200, Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com>
scribed into the ether:

>On Sat, 14 May 2005 00:58:45 GMT, Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> No. You can be perfectly fine with any pet.
>
>Well. A gorilla, for instance, is more robust and durable than a cat,
>though the cat does slightly more damage. So the choice of pet does depend
>a bit on what the pet's task is supposed to be. Bears and gorillas make
>better tanks than dps-pets such as the cats.

The difference between a heavy tank pet and a heavy DPS pet is pretty
small, in both categories. Since they removed resistances from pets,
there's really only 2 reasons to take any specific pet:

1) Attack speed...heavy pet talent builds that make use of Spirit Bond
benefit a lot from faster attacking pets, and they are a bit better in PvP
too.

2) Appearance.

Everything else is pretty much fluff.

2.5) Would be diet...bears are easy to feed, but food isn't *that*
expensive, and I've never had any trouble using an all-meat pet (two
different ones, actually).

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
>> Incidentally bears cannot learn Dash (neither can raptors).
>>

> Yeah, on that. Am I the only person driven crazy by some of the
> limitations?

> I also have a hard time wrapping my brain around a raptor not being able
> to dash. Bears I can understand...they're more of a slow, powerful animal
> (though pretty fast when motivated, like most animals).
>
> But a raptor? Take ONE look at those legs and tell me this thing wouldn't
> be able to dash. I dare ya.
>
> -[Blayde]-

There are a lot of people that take issue with the Raptor not being
trainable in Dash. Since some Raptors get a fast approach speed skill in
the wild it seems anomolous they can't be trained in Dash as a pet. Odd
indeed.