Well I've started building my new system.

Abit BX133, PIII 1GHz, 3 x 60GXP, blah!

Problem is, I started up with bare bones and boot disk, and it couldn't detect the HDD. I tried format & fdisk, but it said no drives present. I swapped it for one of the others and everything was cool. Does this mean the first one is duff, or did I miss something?

Also. When I get it going I want to have two of the drives on a RAID 0 config. At the moment I have HDD 1 on Master channel 3 ATA100 and CD-ROM on Master channel 1 ATA66. When I boot up it shows HDD as master channel 1. No mention of channels 3 & 4.

What's the score?

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

Well I hooked up the third drive on Master channel 4 and it works and hooked up the questionable drive on Slave channel 4 and on boot it doesn't see it. It sees something and takes a few seconds to come back and say no drive present.

Jumpers are correctly configured. Everything else works fine. I reckon its duff. Whatcha think?

<b>
</b>

But I have 3 identical IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40GB drives. Two are fine, it can't see the other. Are you saying this program will help? I just wondered if there was a trick to be had, like "thump it a couple of times" lol.

The one thing that bothers me is there is a hole on the drive with a "do not cover" warning. Now I had the drive inside an enclosure to start with. Would this have done it?

<b>
</b>

G

Hmmm...have you tried testing the hard disk on another system,assuming u checked all connections and other details.

If the system fails to detect it, then it could be spoilt.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
using all the same cables? yes?
do you hear the drive spin up and seek?
check the back to ensure that all the pis are there, and that none are broken/bent.

my gut feeling is that something is not connected properly/loose/broken.
it happens. take it back. get a replacement.

P.S. what does the labels on the drives say? made FOR IBM corp or made BY ibm? (and the location).

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

"Made in Thailand by IBM storage products (Thailand) LTD"

I've e-mailed the supplier, but two days later, no reply. What's the correct procedure. I've never had a faulty part from ordering over the net before.

<b>
</b>

G

If you're still within return time period, RMA the bad drive to the reseller you purchased it from. If not, call the manufacturer and give them the drive's serial number. They will replace the drive.

Leo