I am in serious trouble.

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I do not know what to do right now. I am freaking out.
My internet slowed down considerably 3 days ago. I asked a technician to come in and check it out. He said there was no problems that he could find. I also called Verizon and they checked out how many computers were on my network.
I only have 2 computers in my household. One desktop and one laptop.
They checked and said that there were 6 computers on my network and one iPhone. No one in my household has an iPhone.
I know my network is being hacked by maybe even more than one person.
How do I get them kicked off my network, and how do I make sure they do not come back any time soon?

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I am pretty sure it is WPA, I do not know the difference. Anyway, it had a password to it, and was very secure. I guess it was not secure enough, though. I am really annoyed and pissed off right now :\. I can't believe in so little time there are so many devices.

G

Did you login to your wireless router and look to see how many devices are connected? I don't see how Verizon can determine that.

jroid

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
You should disable wifi for now in your router settings so those abusing your connection won't be able to have access. I'm guessing your desktop is wired so obviously disable it on that computer. After disabling wifi, up your security and change your password. I'm not sure how anyone could have figured out your password but I'm not that intelligent when it comes to networking anyway. I have experienced the need to kick people off of wifi, though, and disabling wifi always works. Just do that until you can figure out how they are getting in.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Haha, are you freaking out about a physical breach or something?
Don't worry, even if your network was WEP secured which is weak, it would be difficult to hack it. Also, don't really take what the verizon technicians tell you as real information. No offense to verizon people, but the regular technicians have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. If they come to fix something, I just play dumb with them so they don't get offended about how little they know of what they are doing. Check your router yourself and it will show you what devices are or have been connected.

First off, secure your router itself.

Got to 192.168.1.1 to enter your router and make sure there is a password promt before you get in, if there is not, then your network security is meaningless. Create a password to get into the router. Next, get into settings and secure your network using WPA2 security. Its the most secure currently, and for your uses non-hackable. Make a good, complex password and your wifi will be secure, if you do it right.

Your network isn't being hacked, its just random people near your house see a free unsecured wifi network and decide to use it, which is why you must secure it.

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Sorry for not responding in such a long time. I think the problem has arrised again.

What you are trying to say is that if I type "192.168.1.1" into google chrome, and it loads without asking for a password, then my security is meaningless? That is what happens.
When I go on the wireless settings, it asks for a username and password which I have.
Its weird because there are so many devices on my connection which shows on the main page, but it seems like most are not connected.
So what is happening?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Yeah, your security is severely compromised if your actual router has no password on it.

Take for example, if I were a hacker and wanted to hack your network, id first try to get Wi-Fi access...if its password blocked, the next thing I'd do is go to 192.168.1.1 and see if there is a password there. If there is no password, I can literally control any aspect of your router and destroy your entire network...I can do anything I want really...

So to have a 99.999% secure network...your wifi must be WPA2 secured and you need to have a good, strong, complex, and lengthy router password.

WEP vs WPA2 security is like night and day...it can easily mean the difference between an easy hack...and an impossible hack.

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
ok so how do I set up all of these passwords and how do I change from WEP to WPA2?
I know that if someone would want to go onto my internet they would first have to have my password because my friend tried using it on his iPod but it asked for a password.
I guess my internet is not secure enough...

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well your ISP is verizon, so is mine, so I think I can help.

Do you fios or regular internet? I have Fios, but I don't know if the routers/controlpanels and software are the same.

If you Fios, I can tell you exactly how I think :)