Sign in with
Your question

How do i connect my graphics card to my power supply ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2012 10:42:11 PM

I have a bunch of computer bits that I wan't to put together which includes a Radeon HD5850 graphics card that I need to conbnect to my Seasonic 500W PSU (SS-500HM), but I'm having a bit of difficulty.
My graphics card has 2nr 6-pin PCIe sockets, and my power supply (which ATI's website confirms as being suitable) looks to have 2nr of the same sockets (there's a tiny difference in that the hole for one of the pins (pin 5 I think) is square instead of having chamfered corners). I thought to myself that I would need 2nr cables to connect these sockets together, something along the lines of '6-pin to 6-pin male to male PCIe power cable', but I cannot find anything along these lines. Everything I look at with a male 6-pin plug on one end has got something different on the other end. Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong thing here.

By the way, my PSU cables are a 24-pin ATX connector, a 4-pin ATX_12V connector (both needed on the motherboard I would imagine), and an 8-pin (2x4) connector that looks like a PCI connector, but I suspect isn't because the yellow cables are on the clip side (an 8-pin EPS +12V connector is it?).

I would appreciate any help you could give me please.

Regards,

Mark.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 11:08:54 PM

There should be two 6 pin PCI cables on the PSU that will look the same as eachother (2x3). It isn't the 8 pin (2x4) that you want to use, that is for the CPU.

Newegg has an image of all the cables here: http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-...
a c 200 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 11:09:33 PM

from looking on new eggs photo here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
the power supply should have had two pci by 6 pin cables one of the should have a two pin wire connected to it to make it a 6 by 2 cable. if there an error on what was in the box your best bet is to call the power supply vendor and email them telling them you were missing a cable. they should be able to send you the missing cable for free.
Related resources
May 9, 2012 12:07:18 AM

Trapper and Smorizio,
Thank you for your replies. I shall respond to both of these.

You both make it sound as though there should be cables from my PSU with 6-pin PCIe connectors on them. There are only the three fixed cables I mentioned earlier, and it doesn’t look like any have been removed – there’ barely any space left in the hole where they poke through the casing. Although the Newegg picture of the PSU looks very similar to mine it has more cables coming out of it. Mine is a Seasonic SS-500HM Active PFC F3 (doesn’t have this M12 reference to it that the Newegg listing does). By the way, I’m in the UK, so perhaps that makes a difference to the spec.

I bought all of the computer bits 2nd hand. The bloke who sold me them said that it would need a cable from the PSU to the graphics card, and that these were commonplace. I just can’t find anything, though (searching in the UK). On this Newegg site, searching for a 6-pin PCIe power connector brings up all sorts of cables, none of which seem right to me. Maybe I’m looking for the wrong thing here. Is it not as simple as a PCIe power cable with a 6-pin male connector at each end? If it is, I’m damned if I can find it.
May 9, 2012 12:16:22 AM

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6.jpg
6 pin connector is on the left , on the right is the converter 2 molex to 6 pin adapter
i believe this's your psu http://www.seasonicusa.com/images/m12.jpg
so you need cable to plug in the slot where it said PCI-E 6P in this picture
http://www.seasonicusa.com/images/pic03.gif
and the cable should look like this because your psu is semi-modular so the 6 pin might not be there http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/350/221691160.jpg

May 9, 2012 8:22:37 AM

Thank you borden5 for your response.

Yes, this is exactly what I thought should be happening, but I could not find the cable I thought should exist. Your last picture looks to be the cable I'm after. Would you mind telling me where you got this picture from to help me locate one (well two of them, actually).
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 12:50:10 PM

fuzzy-felt said:
Trapper and Smorizio,
Thank you for your replies. I shall respond to both of these.

You both make it sound as though there should be cables from my PSU with 6-pin PCIe connectors on them. There are only the three fixed cables I mentioned earlier, and it doesn’t look like any have been removed – there’ barely any space left in the hole where they poke through the casing. Although the Newegg picture of the PSU looks very similar to mine it has more cables coming out of it. Mine is a Seasonic SS-500HM Active PFC F3 (doesn’t have this M12 reference to it that the Newegg listing does). By the way, I’m in the UK, so perhaps that makes a difference to the spec.

I bought all of the computer bits 2nd hand. The bloke who sold me them said that it would need a cable from the PSU to the graphics card, and that these were commonplace. I just can’t find anything, though (searching in the UK). On this Newegg site, searching for a 6-pin PCIe power connector brings up all sorts of cables, none of which seem right to me. Maybe I’m looking for the wrong thing here. Is it not as simple as a PCIe power cable with a 6-pin male connector at each end? If it is, I’m damned if I can find it.

I hope you got a really good price on that used psu. It would appear that the seller was not entirely honest with you if he said that modular cables from the psu to the gpu are commonplace. The 3 cables that are attached are the 24 pin ATX and an 8 pin and 4 pin used for cpu power. It should have come with a selection of modular cables that plug into all of the empty ports. Did he give you any these cables that came with the power supply? If not, you will not find them on the newegg website. You need to contact the manufacturer and order replacement cables. I suspect by the time you pay for cables and shipping you could have purchased a new psu.
May 9, 2012 1:18:49 PM

Alrobichaud,

I was beginning to wonder if this would be the case. The seller was a really nice chap, and I don’t think for one moment he was being dishonest, but just mistaken in his assumption. He’s actually contacted me with links where to get the cables, but they are the wrong ones (male to female extension, whereas I need male to male).

The last link in borden5’s reply above shows a picture of what looks to be the fabled cable. However, when I go to the buy.com site I cannot find it there – just a load of 6-pin extension/conversion types of cables that I keep coming across everywhere I look.

I wonder if I could make one? If I buy a male/female extension lead and somehow replace the female connector with a male connector (Molex 0455590002) I wonder if that would work?
May 9, 2012 1:27:45 PM

"I wonder if I could make one? If I buy a male/female extension lead and somehow replace the female connector with a male connector (Molex 0455590002) I wonder if that would work?"

Yeah, that would work. I've done it before. Another idea is to go to a local computer repair shop that builds computers and see if they have any 6 pin PCIe cables left over from a previous build. I got one that way before also and they only asked $2.

Edit: It's been awhile since I did it and I just remembered that what I did was use two 6 pin PCIe extension cable and cut the end off each and spliced the 3 yellow wires and the 3 black wires. Not really sure about using molex.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 3:00:24 PM

fuzzy-felt said:
Alrobichaud,

I was beginning to wonder if this would be the case. The seller was a really nice chap, and I don’t think for one moment he was being dishonest, but just mistaken in his assumption. He’s actually contacted me with links where to get the cables, but they are the wrong ones (male to female extension, whereas I need male to male).

The last link in borden5’s reply above shows a picture of what looks to be the fabled cable. However, when I go to the buy.com site I cannot find it there – just a load of 6-pin extension/conversion types of cables that I keep coming across everywhere I look.

I wonder if I could make one? If I buy a male/female extension lead and somehow replace the female connector with a male connector (Molex 0455590002) I wonder if that would work?

The problem that you are going to run into is the shape of the connectors on modular port on the power supply will not match just any old 6 pin male connector. You can certainly splice together a couple of cables to make the male to male cable that you need but good luck finding one that will match the psu.

Look closely at the pic from borden5. Look at the shape of the 6 pin connectors on the power supply. Particularily, the shape of the top of each of the 6 pins. Starting from top left to right the shape is quare/round/round then at the bottom round/square/square.

http://www.seasonicusa.com/images/pic03.gif

Now look at this inwin commader II power supply. It goes round/round/round then on the bottom square/square/square.

Trust me, I have tried using modular pci-e cables from one power supply on another and I did not have any luck. Perhaps there are some manufacturers who use the same configuration but I could not tell you who they are. It would make sense if power supply manufacturers used a common pattern but that would just be too easy now wouldn't it. Your best bet would be to get a couple of 4 pin molex to 6 pin pci-e power adapters like this from borden5

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6.jpg

It will get you up and running. It looks like all of the 12V outputs on that psu are 18A rated so it shouldn't make a difference if you use the pci-e or molex for power. I am assuming he gave you the modular SATA and MOLEX cables with the power supply. You need these to power up your HDD, CDROM and whatever else you are hooking up. If you don't have these, get a new power supply and save yourself the headache.
May 9, 2012 5:07:22 PM

Thank you all for your help here.

I have sent a message to Seasonic to ask if they do spare cables. I shall also try a few local repair shops to see if they have anything. The link that delluser1 gave me looks very promising - at least they will be able to make the cables to suit my particular PSU (at a cost of around £15 - about $23).
All is not lost! I think this is supposed to be a half decent PSU, and worth trying to keep if possible.
May 17, 2012 8:11:55 PM

Thanks to Seasonic's excellent customer service, I now how have the cables I need.
!