Is a Radeon HD 7770 a Good Replacement For GTX260?

Talisatu

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hey gang! I thought before I spent the money I would ask the community here and get thier voice.... I am looking to upgrade the old graphics card on my Alienware computer. Basically it's the last part that I need upgraded. Right now I have an I-7 core, 16gb ram, 1tb HD and a GTX 260 for my video card. I don't have alot to spend right now, basically $150... I saw the following video card on sale from NewEgg and thought that it looked like a very good replacement, but I wanted to hear other peoples thoughts.... If you can suggest better for the same amount, please, by all means do!!! If I'm making a bad decision, let me know that too!! :pt1cable:

XFX Double D Black Edition FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Model
BrandXFX
SeriesDouble D Black Edition
ModelFX-777A-ZDB4Interface
InterfacePCI Express 3.0 x16Chipset
Chipset ManufacturerAMD
GPURadeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
Core Clock1095MHz
Stream Processors640 Stream ProcessorsMemory
Effective Memory Clock1245MHz (4.98Gbps)
Memory Size1GB
Memory Interface128-bit
Memory TypeGDDR53D API
DirectXDirectX 11
OpenGLOpenGL 4.2Ports
HDMI1 x HDMI
DisplayPort1 x Mini DisplayPort
DVI1 x DVIGeneral
RAMDAC400 MHz
Eyefinity SupportYes
CrossFireX SupportYes
CoolerWith Fan
System RequirementsMinimum of a 450 Watt power supply.
Power Connector6 Pin
Dual-Link DVI SupportedYes
HDCP ReadyYes
Card Dimensions8.8" x 4.4" x 1.5"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Here's a graphics card chart that should help you see where cards fall in order of best to worse. The good thing about the 7770 is that it's a new card and will perform better but it's only one level up from the GTX 260. As a general rule you should try to go up at least two levels to make an upgrade worth while. The budget of $150 doesn't give you much option though.

Talisatu

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! That chart was exactly what I was looking for!! Yea, I think I'll just save up the extra $50 and get the GTX 560Ti... I've kept up with the numbering system on the Nvidia chips, but not the Radeon so trying to figure out which would be a great upgrade cross platform was stumping me. Man I am glad that I asked!