Sign in with
Your question

Multiple display sources on one monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2012 11:39:20 PM

Ok guys, here's my problem. I will be going to college next year and need a way to manage all of my media devices.

Currently I am using two monitors, each connected by DVI, to a 6870. The main display is a 23'' Dell monitor with a HDMI and DVI connection. I need to find a good way of also getting an xbox (HDMI) and a tv signal (coaxial) to go through the monitor. I know I could just simply hook up the xbox through the open HDMI port on the monitor, but switching back and forth on the inputs is getting annoying. Would it be possible to hook up the monitor using HDMI from the PC and have an HDMI switch control which signal is actually being sent to the monitor?

I now need to figure out how to get the cable connection to display through the monitor. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not entirely sure what a tv tuner will do.
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 11:47:29 PM

Getting TV through your computer is going to be painful and expensive, but the end result might be worth it. I'd recommend hitting Google for guides on running a DVR on your computer, which will cover everything you'll want. You can hook most cable boxes up to a monitor, however, which might be the dead simple solution you want.

As far as easy switching inputs, look into a KVM switch. They can be a little pricey, but you can hit a couple keys on your keyboard (tab tab for the ones I have at work) or a key on the box and it will switch over the inputs.

As a bonus, it effectively duplicates the ports on your monitor, so even if you only have one HDMI port on your monitor you can use two HDMI devices if your KVM has two HDMI ports.
m
l
a c 261 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 8, 2012 11:50:37 PM

There are AV recievers that will switch video signals and audio from various sources to the monitors. I think they are usually one to one, but more sophisticated units may be able to do what you want.
m
l
Related resources
!