Help new build is broke

raktorn

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Ok not sire wth went wrong but ill go through what I did and what happened.

Ok I spent about 900 pounds on a completely new rig.

I set up the mobo with CPU, fan, ram and gpu and test it and everything seemed to work. So I procceded to install into my case. I plug everything into its correct spots on the mobo and plug all the case fans, HDD and cd drive into the correct places.
I double check everything to make sure its in the right places with the correct cables and when I was happy I turned it all on. Fix pop bang I see smoke and switch off and disconnect immediately. I start unplugging my PSU from evertlything and find I cannot unplug the 4 pin fan plug. It has melted on. I have a photo but dunno how to get it onto here atm. The PSU doesn't work at all just makes some noise and the fan doesn't work. and I cannot get it off the mobo. Please help, should I call dabs, corsair, or who?

raktorn

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I have asrock extreme 4 z77, i5 3570k, gtx 670 gigabyte windforce. Corsair gs 600. Gskill ripjaw 2x4gb ram., Seagate baracuda HDD, Sony DVD/cd rw, and zalman z11. All but the case were from dabs. The case was from amazon.

When you say exactly are you confirming it was a faulty PSU.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
yep! it might be the PSU, try using your system with out the GPU and try each stick of RAM and btw... upload that picture to photobucket or imageshak and post it in here, your CPU might be damanged...

ninjatron

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I have researched a lot before I built my PC, not that I have no experience but computer tech develops faster than I can follow. Anyway, my point is that I found out that PSU is the most underestimated part of the computers. It is the only part of a system that can ruin your whole machine, because it supplies electricity to your PC as the name implies. So I ended up buying a dependable 700W for double the amount I could spend on a cheap PSU.

In your case, it is obvious, unfortunately your PSU is dead and with it I think your MoBo as well. Just pray other parts are fine, but don't expect that MoBo to work anymore.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

well, i think you should contac dabs first and tell them the problem, perhaps they will ask you to send them the parts that are damanged and send you new ones, if not, call corsair and tell them what happened and they should refound you the PSU and any parts that got damanged

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

its kinda hard to tell.... upload various pictures of your components from diferent angles to see if they are burn or something

ninjatron

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

You will have to test them. Alternatively you can return the whole system (if it is possible), which I think would be the best option.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Sorry to tell you but if you show Corsair or any manufacturer that picture you are not going to get anything back for your PSU or motherboard or any other part.

It looks like you are using a non-standard fan. Wiring inside a computer generally goes like this, black wires are ground, yellow wires are +12V.

Unfortunately pin #1 on the mobo (starts from the right) is supposed to be a ground pin, pin #2 is supposed to be a positive voltage (+12V). You have applied 0V to the +12v pin and +12V to the 0V pin, which basically means you tried to run that fan backwards.

Did you by any chance take that fan from a different computer? Possibly one built by HP or Dell or some other pre-built

I take back a little about what I said in the begining, you may have a chance to get some money from the PSU maker because technically the PSU should detect and stop things like a short circuit but you will have to argue pretty hard and know a bit about the inner workings of your PSU to call them on something like that.

raktorn

Honorable
May 22, 2012
the pin thats melted is from the PSU have i put it in the wrong way around?

I bought the case from a different vendor. is there a chance then that the fans are faulty? or even if they are not could the fans have been damaged by the PSU going?

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Ok so let me see if I have figured this out...

Unfortunately for you it looks to be worse than my original thought. It looks like you have plugged the power connector for a floppy drive into a fan connector on your mobo. THIS SHOULD NEVER BE DONE. Both the floppy connection and the fan connection are designed to give a device power. So the floppy connection is trying to power your fan connection while you fan connection is trying to power your PSU. By connecting things this way you shorted the 12V connection to ground in 2 different places.

The only thing that you are supposed to plug into a fan connection is a fan! Hence why it is labeled CHA_FAN1 which stands for Chasis Fan 1. Your fan may only have 3 connections on it but it will still fit, just don't use one of the connections.

If you were trying to supply power to your motherboard you needed to be using the 8 pin, rectangle connection on the upper left-hand side of your motherboard. It will look nothing like the fan connection but more like a really short 24 pin main power connection.

The power lead that you are using that came from your PSU is used to power a floppy drive. If you have no floppy drive wrap the end in a little bit of electrical tape and LEAVE IT UNCONNECTED.

Sorry that you have had so much trouble getting your rig up and running. Please feel to post any and all questions on the forum. If you have made it this far in the build you are doing great and almost to the pay off.

It is up to you what you want to do about the PSU, try and get your money back or not. But I can tell you one thing, you will not get any money or support if you show any manufacturer that picture.

raktorn

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Ok thanks for this info. the vendor is replacing my mobo and PSU.
I had the other connectors in the right place. I just thought the floppy power was a fan connector. Is there still a chance my CPU gpu and ram are damaged or should they be fine? Also just to re assure you I have a friend coming to help me when the new stuff comes and he knows what he is doing.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

All you can do now is hope that they are not :)

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Yes that is very similar to yours, you probably didn't fry your ram, cpu or gpu. They should all be on separate circuits and/or regulated.

I am glad you are getting the parts replaced. Hope all goes well for the reebuild.

raktorn

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Feel like a total idiot haha. Oh well I learnt and hopefully I will get it right this time. Again thanks very much for the help.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

:lol: its ok, everyone has made a mistake when building a PC, post back when you have your parts back :p

raktorn

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Ok just decider to test my PSU with a paper flip before it goes back tomorrow and worked fine. This confuses me. Didn't work at all with the motherboard. Also if I sent it back as faulty and they say its fine what happens. Also what does this mean for the rest of my harware?

paper clip test just forces a power supply to turn on. you cant tell unless you have an o-scope and a volt meter that all the voltage output are there on each leg of the power supply and that the power supply under load is still output withing spec. most vendors when they get a part back that passes a quick go/no go test they rerun it on a long test. if it passes most of them get stamped rma unit. they ship them to some new person. if the ps are fine the new guys has years and years of fun..if the ps is faulty then it ends up going back to the vendor. most time on the second return the parts are scrapped.