Gaming PC is very loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerboi1337

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
my specs: geforce gtx560 nonti / AMD phenom2 x4 945 3ghz / 8gb ddr3

OK so when i first start my computer, it sounds normal. Not silent, but little noise.. but when i load up a game, about 5 minutes later it gets REALLY REALLY loud! and when i close out the game it takes about 5 minutes to stop.

i believe it's my cpu cooler? that seems to be where the loud noise is coming from.

this program on my pc says that my CPU temp while just on the desktop is in the 30's (celcius) and in the high 50s (celcius) IN GAME. is this bad?

i mostly play MAX settings on my games but i don't experience any lag and they run very smooth.

i very recently bought this PC used and it has a respectable amount of dust on the fans and cpu cooler (i got a good deal tho).. which i plan to clean with compressed air cans. is this a good idea? (well obviously cleaning it is good) but will it reduce the airplane jet-like sound? lol

or do you think if i remove the cpu cooler (i think its called heat sink sorry i'm new to this), apply layer of thermal paste to CPU and attach a new heat sink? such as COOLER MASTER hyper 212? or any other recommendation? (my pc case is super huge btw)

i'm not sure what cpu cooler i have now.

i'm not asking for a super silent pc or anything because i know a gaming PC is going to make noise, just a non jet-sounding one would be nice.. can someone help me please :(

Solution
So this is the stock cooler on the Phenom II? Yes, they are extremely loud, tiny high rpm fans. No, your temps are fine, 50-60c is what they run at under heavy load with the stock cooler, and they idle about 30c. So your temps are fine. If you find the noise annoying, yes a new CPU cooler would be the way to go. Hyper 212s are much quieter.

As always, yes you should clean the dust out, but based on your reporting the temps are normal.

cbag

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Its most likely your video card cooler. It heats up because the card is working so hard. The CPU temps don't look that high. Monitor your 560 temps and I bet they are pretty hot.

clean the dust out of the pc. then use msi afterburner open the program up with nothing running and change the gpu fan speed.by default the default speed is 20-40 percent. set the speed to max and see if you hear the same loud fan noise. if it the same noise it the game card heating up under gaming load. you have a few things you can do. you can see if your ps has the wattage to put a faster gpu in. a faster gpu would run most games without stressing and running the fan at max speed. the other option is turning down the eye candy to get good frame rates and not load the gpu to where it cooking itself. start out by turning off tri filtering and 4xx in nvidia and game control panel. in the games try turning down the eye candy. the other thing to check is the size and fans in the case. mini atx cases will cook video cards do to lack of air flow. also on most older cases there one or two fans. if you have two fans make sure one pulls air in and one in the back pulls air out. if you have room for more fans try setting one to blow across the video card.

So this is the stock cooler on the Phenom II? Yes, they are extremely loud, tiny high rpm fans. No, your temps are fine, 50-60c is what they run at under heavy load with the stock cooler, and they idle about 30c. So your temps are fine. If you find the noise annoying, yes a new CPU cooler would be the way to go. Hyper 212s are much quieter.

As always, yes you should clean the dust out, but based on your reporting the temps are normal.

Solution

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

I'd actually suggest the ets-t40 over the 212.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214023

(Proof)
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/enermax_ets_t40/4.htm

gamerboi1337

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

thank you for replying. im not sure of my 560 temps but i just was playing Dishonored (its a game) on max for about an hour to get the noise loud ..i took the side of my case off briefly and put my ear close to my GPU and then to my CPU cooler...

it is DEFINITELY my cpu fan!!!!!!!!!!!

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

that is some of the most ridiculous stuff i have ever heard, nobody in there right mind is going to go out and buy a video card twice as fast as they need just so it doesnt get pushed. mate if i were you i would either sort your case out eg tidy up your cables get a few fans in there if you have the mounts for em intake over gpu and at front of case exhaust back and top of case, hook em up to something like a nzxt sentry fan controller ($20 bucks) if your motherboard is no good for fan control (gigabytes are terrible for it, i have one) that way you can consider spending like 40-50 bucks on a case with decent airflow so your gear doesnt get to hot in the first place

gamerboi1337

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's a stock ..but it has a sticker in the middle of the fan with a bunch of numbers lol.. do they come like that or something?

I looked at pictures of the phenom2 stock cooler and it looks exactly like it.

Also I am going to dust my pc out with canned air tomorrow ..i know to blow outside the case not into it.. but is it safe to blow air into the CPU fan? or should i take it off and do it that way.. just for now until i get a new CPU cooler in the mail :kaola:

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

Block one of the blades with your finger, and then spray air onto it.

gamerboi1337

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

yes i already have 3 fans.. 2 intaking air: 1 over GPU, 1 in the front.. and an exhaust in the back.. but i have a mount on the top with no fan (i have some model NZXT case)

so a 120mm on top?

Yea, thats the stock one. I've got one around here somewhere, but if thats the source of the noise (high-pitched whine), theres the issue. Avoid small fans with high RPMs they are the ones that tend to make more noise for future reference when picking out a computer case, or extra fans for it. I think the stock Phenom II fan peaks at something ridiculously like 4000 RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.