Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help me choose a LGA775 Gaming CPU

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 10, 2012 7:25:39 AM

Hey guys!
I'm currently using an E5700 Dual Core 3.0GHz on a
ASUS P5G41T-M LX Motherboard
with a NVidia GT 440
and 8GB RAM at 1333MHz made by TeamElite

My mobo has the LGA775 socket so i'm looking for the best GAMING CPU compatible with my components
I'm not sure if i can have a quad core sit on but i would prefer if it would :p 
I was gonna buy a i5 2550K but i discovered that it's for the LGA 1155 which is quite unfortunate for me :fou: 
My budget comes around $380

Thanks in advance for any responses :) 
Cheers
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 10, 2012 7:30:19 AM

Get an i3 and a new motherboard.
November 10, 2012 7:35:28 AM

amuffin said:
Get an i3 and a new motherboard.

i wanna keep the mobo :( 
Related resources
a c 115 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 10, 2012 7:36:09 AM

Theres no point buying a new CPU on that platform, its been long dead.
You can get a new mobo and processor within that budget.
November 10, 2012 7:49:43 AM

manofchalk said:
Theres no point buying a new CPU on that platform, its been long dead.
You can get a new mobo and processor within that budget.

k so i ain't much of a pc guy... so what would you recommend?
btw, did they stop making the 2550s ?
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 10, 2012 7:49:57 AM

An i3-3220/i5-3470 if possible, and a Z77 board.
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 7:58:32 AM

the only thing i would salvage out of your 775 build is the ram put the rest on ebay cos your gpu is just as slow if not more of a bottle neck than the e5700. you could overclock the e5700 up to like 4ghz i got 3.9 out my e5200 stock at 2.5ghz if you need to save more. but yeah i3 or i5 and a new gpu!
November 10, 2012 8:06:34 AM

amuffin said:
An i3-3220/i5-3470 if possible, and a Z77 board.

idk... its kinda cheesy :p  is there any website where i could compare mobos?
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2012 8:08:24 AM

CRaZZyMaNNiaCC said:
idk... its kinda cheesy :p  is there any website where i could compare mobos?

your on one now, have a look around :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 10, 2012 8:12:24 AM

There is currently no point in upgrading with a LGA 775 CPU.
The best LGA 775 compatable CPU you can buy right now (that's in your budget) is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 with E0 stepping.
http://www.compuvest.com/Desc.jsp?iid=1717159
It's a very good CPU to be honest but it's nothing compared to a 2500K or a 3570K.
Here's a comparison link.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=288

So the choice now is between going with a reasonably powerfull CPU coupled with a cheap motherboard and a good graphics card and buying a high-end CPU and a motherboard only.

The first option will improve your system's gaming performance dramaticly while the second will make it faster for pretty much everything else.

First option.
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - 90$
This is a reasonably good CPU.It doesn't quite match the 2500K's performance but it's a lot cheaper so it doesn't need to.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=46281&vpn=HDZ965FBGMBO...

Motherboard - Asrock 870iCafe R2.0 - 60$
This motherboard is pretty amazing for its price.It's made for overclocking and is also compatable with AMD's new FX series CPU's so you've got a very good upgrade path.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OZV708/?tag=pcpapi-20

And last but not least the graphics card.

Graphics card - ASUS HD 7870 DirectCU - 242$

This card's performance is going to blow you away.It is a HUGE upgrade over the one you're using now.Just think of it this way.If you're getting 10FPS in a game with your card you'll get over 60 with this one.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=73627&vpn=HD7870-DC2-2...


And now the second option.

CPU - Intel 2700K - 300$

This CPU is actually no better than a 2500K or a 3570K at gaming in most situations but there are some exclusions.For example in Battlefield 3 Multiplayer the 2700K can outperform the 2500K by as much as 35%!
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=64993&vpn=BX80623I7270...

Motherboard - Asrock Z77 PRO3 - 95$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So if you're not going to upgrade your PC again any time soon and want the best possible gaming experiance, go with Option 1.Or if you are going to upgrade the PC soon (add a graphics card) go with option two.
November 10, 2012 8:58:23 AM

Kamen_BG said:
There is currently no point in upgrading with a LGA 775 CPU.
The best LGA 775 compatable CPU you can buy right now (that's in your budget) is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 with E0 stepping.
http://www.compuvest.com/Desc.jsp?iid=1717159
It's a very good CPU to be honest but it's nothing compared to a 2500K or a 3570K.
Here's a comparison link.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=288

So the choice now is between going with a reasonably powerfull CPU coupled with a cheap motherboard and a good graphics card and buying a high-end CPU and a motherboard only.

The first option will improve your system's gaming performance dramaticly while the second will make it faster for pretty much everything else.

First option.
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - 90$
This is a reasonably good CPU.It doesn't quite match the 2500K's performance but it's a lot cheaper so it doesn't need to.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=46281&vpn=HDZ965FBGMBO...

Motherboard - Asrock 870iCafe R2.0 - 60$
This motherboard is pretty amazing for its price.It's made for overclocking and is also compatable with AMD's new FX series CPU's so you've got a very good upgrade path.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OZV708/?tag=pcpapi-20

And last but not least the graphics card.

Graphics card - ASUS HD 7870 DirectCU - 242$

This card's performance is going to blow you away.It is a HUGE upgrade over the one you're using now.Just think of it this way.If you're getting 10FPS in a game with your card you'll get over 60 with this one.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=73627&vpn=HD7870-DC2-2...


And now the second option.

CPU - Intel 2700K - 300$

This CPU is actually no better than a 2500K or a 3570K at gaming in most situations but there are some exclusions.For example in Battlefield 3 Multiplayer the 2700K can outperform the 2500K by as much as 35%!
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=64993&vpn=BX80623I7270...

Motherboard - Asrock Z77 PRO3 - 95$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So if you're not going to upgrade your PC again any time soon and want the best possible gaming experiance, go with Option 1.Or if you are going to upgrade the PC soon (add a graphics card) go with option two.


Thanks mate :)  I appreciate the time you've offered to me :)  You've really put some thoughts in my mind now and got me thinking hehe =D Thanks again
!